Warning: paxful.com ripped me off

Guest S****r

Don't use paxful.com for bitcoin, you guys.

Backpage recommended this site to purchase bitcoin to purchase ads on backpage. So I read the site info on paxful.com. They recommended exchanging a gift card for bitcoin.

I went to Shoppers Drug Mart next door. The only qualifying gift card they sold there was an Amazon card. I bought one for $50.

I went back online to the seller Zstarr on paxful, the only one there who was accepting Canadian Amazon cards.

His profile info said he would release the coins quickly, usually within minutes.

I followed their instructions step by step and waited.

Nothing.

The site says if the seller does not release the bitcoin within three hours, that you can file a dispute.

I waited 4 hours. Then I filed the dispute.

A moderator acknowledged my file.

That was on Friday night.

Yesterday, I didn't want to wait any longer, so I went back and found a seller who accepted etransfers. I successfully purchased bitcoin from him with the etransfer.

Then tonight (Sunday) I got an email from Paxful saying "Dispute lost" and the $50 from my Amazon gift card went to Zstarr!!!!! No explanation or anything!

I was literally robbed by them!

I have filed a complaint up the chain. I will let you know if/when I get any response.

In the meantime. DO NOT USE PAXFUL.COM!!

I noticed this when i was looking into the link provided by satoshi counter

http://satoshicounter.com/backpage/

What about Paxful?

Paxful is not a proper Bitcoin wallet but an online service which allows you to purchase bitcoins from other sellers. Paxful always retains control over your bitcoins, not you.

I don't know quite what they mean by that, but it didn't sound very good.

if anyone is in Montreal, they can walk into http://bitcoinembassy.ca/about-us/

where you can pay in cash. there are also bitcoin ATMs in various locations thru Canada. I like to think it would be simplified if you can go in person somewhere.

• Like 2

I had no problems with paxful.com because I used a seller who was recommended by BP - Satsoshi counter.

Technically it was not Paxful that ripped you off because Paxful themselves do not sell bitcoin. They are basically the app that furnishes you with a bitcoin wallet so you can buy bitcoin from sellers on their list and then deposit it into your paxful wallet which you then use on BP to buy credits.

It is Zstarr who ripped you off.

Looks like you have asked Paxful to intervene. The best solution now is to get Zstarr to deposit your bitcoin into your paxful wallet so you can at least use this to top up your bp account.

Remember ladies that Paxful and copay are bitcoin wallets.

Satoshi is a seller of bitcoin.

• Like 3

Today I got an email from satoshi that there is a technical problem in email tranfer right now. They did send me a new method to send cash. I am going to do it tomorrow and if all clears...I am happy to share.

I have had no issues with paxful however be prepared to wait up to 2 days before coins are added.

• Like 1

Guest S****r

But it was the mod of paxful that awarded them to Zstarr.

I used paxful because it was one of the ones recommended on the backpage instructions, after I had unsuccessfully tried to do it with the Bread wallet app.

As someone else just pointed out, it says that paxful always retains control over the bitcoins, not you.

Tonight I got a new response from the mod after I complained about the dispute award, and he said I can try again with Zstarr and see if it gives it up this time. He already has the pin number to the gift card, so I have nothing to lose, so I just put in a new request.

I will keep you all informed.

I had no problems with paxful.com because I used a seller who was recommended by BP - Satsoshi counter.

Technically it was not Paxful that ripped you off because Paxful themselves do not sell bitcoin. They are basically the app that furnishes you with a bitcoin wallet so you can buy bitcoin from sellers on their list and then deposit it into your paxful wallet which you then use on BP to buy credits.

It is Zstarr who ripped you off.

Looks like you have asked Paxful to intervene. The best solution now is to get Zstarr to deposit your bitcoin into your paxful wallet so you can at least use this to top up your bp account.

Remember ladies that Paxful and copay are bitcoin wallets.

Satoshi is a seller of bitcoin.

Guest S****r

There is no wallet involved with paxful. You make the trade via chat right on paxful. I had to upload a photo of the gift card and give the pin number for it as payment. So then the buyer had everything. And then he is supposed to credit your account with the bitcoin.

Update:

After the dispute was awarded to Zstarr by the mod, with no explanation, I pestered the mod for an explanation. Nothing. He finally responded saying that all I could do is submit it all to Zstarr again and see if he would release the bitcoin. So I did. And Zstarr still didn't release the coin. I can see that he has been online several times and read my submission and comments, but ..... no action taken. So....

I have had to start another dispute, which I just did a few minutes ago. Truthfully, I don't expect there to be any resolution. He already has the card and pin numbers, but I am not going away quietly.

Any suggestions?