Restaurants To Avoid

I have heard that Haveli, an Indian restaurant in the Market, has not been up to par lately. I used to love it there... but a couple of peeps have said that it's not what it once was....

Of course it all depends on your individual tastes....

The last few times I have been to the Canal Ritz have always come up short. The food just did not seem worth what I was paying for it.

.... I also hate to say it, but the last time I was at Al's Steakhouse on Elgin, I was disappointed. Big bill.... not so great service... average meal.

Guest Sa******

I come to Ottawa, I cant find any good vegetarian restaurants..., all i can say is AVOID CATHAy house....Very bad experience... For that one time ;)

Sasha xoxo

Guest G***f******

Don't order Chinese takeout when you are not at home.

Travelling across Canada I've found that in different areas, people use the same names for dishes that may be very different. I am almost always disappointed.

.... I also hate to say it, but the last time I was at Al's Steakhouse on Elgin, I was disappointed. Big bill.... not so great service... average meal.

hmm I'm surprised I went there at the end of May and had the lobster it was really good.

Additional Comments:

Sasha Try the Green Door on Main St.

Its really good.. they cater to vegans too.

I come to Ottawa, I cant find any good vegetarian restaurants..., all i can say is AVOID CATHAy house....Very bad experience... For that one time ;)

Sasha xoxo

theres a very good vegatarian restaurant at Holland and wellington.

Haven't experinced a bad rest. in a while.

Emeralds Buffet in vanier at Mtl. Rd and Selkirk, the food was so bland the ice cream tasted like milk and no flavor.

Guest c******n****h

In the spirit of this board and not posting negative reviews, I would say that we can all probably cme up a few names of restaurants where we have either had a bad meal, poor service or some combination of both to make the experience a poor one.

I much prefer hearing about great restaurants and then getting posotive feedback from friends about the places I have recommended.

In the market try:

Navarra

Murray Street Charcuterie

Luxe

Little Italy:

Giovannis

La Roma

Chinese:

Golden Palace egg rolls

Terrible:

Yangtze on Somerset - my ex, a former restaurant equipment repairman said they have the "dirtiest" kitchen of any restaurant he has ever been in, in his 20 year career working in Toronto and Ottawa, etc.

Great Eats:

New Dubrovnik - Carling Avenue West of Fisher

K S Restaurant - South Keys across from Walmart

The Works - various locations

Sirolas Steakhouse - St. Joseph Blvd., Hull

Delicious Steakhouse - St. Joseph Blvd., Orleans

Little India Cafe - Carling Avenue across from Theatres

Fish Market Restaurant - In the market

Chinese Food Take out only (no sit down):

Asia Wok on Tenth Line at Innes - the "Best" takeout I have ever

had in the city. Choice of closed or open-ended eggrolls.

There are line-ups out the door on Friday nights after work, so that tells you something!

The Green Papaya Restaurant if you like Thai food.

I went to the old location ( now relocated on Preston St) on Kent St for lunch one day when I had my incall condo at Kent/Somerset and while the food was great, the service was horrible and slow for a lunch time rush.

Came across this slightly older thread, thought I'd add my 2 bits:

Wellington Gastropub has always pleased me ... not cheap, but reasonable for the excellent quality. My favorite these days.

On the higher end, Juniper and 18 have always been great for me.

4th Ave Wine Bar is great.

For high end restaurants downtown, I would definitely recommend 18 or The Courtyard (both in the market). Another great choice is Beckta Dining and Wine on Nepean St. Beckta is pricey, but the food and service are outstanding. It''s a great place to take a lady you want to impress! ;)