What are the Chances?

How is it possible for an airline to mis-place your luggage? Not once, not twice but 3 times in the last 6 weeks....(how is this possible to happen to me)

To top it off, when I call to inquire I am put through to a call center in India, where I after given all my details I am told Mr smith your bags are in Korea (Last time I checked I was a woman and no part of me is named smith, nor have I ever been to Korea) (I hope he gets his bags though).

How is it 1 checked bag shoes up and one is MIA. When I go online to find my bag, it tells me Invalid code. As an experienced lost baggage travler I know the signs and - Something tells me this is not a good sign.

Last time they gave me a whopping $200 to cover my loss (Seriously, what does that buy these days) This time it is my second set of brand new luggage, and if they do not find it, there will be hell to pay (The redhead in me will be unleashed)

Sunday afternoon in Charlottetown, I guess I am going to find a pub and see some sights (and find some stores)

Guest s******ecan****

Sorry for your troubles Emily. It really sucks to be let down like that, and then to have no real concern shown by the culprits is only salt in the wounds.

Better days ahead

How is it possible for an airline to mis-place your luggage? Not once, not twice but 3 times in the last 6 weeks....(how is this possible to happen to me)

I've given to travel with only carry-ons for the last few years. This includes one laptop bag.

I've given to travel with only carry-ons for the last few years. This includes one laptop bag.

I would love to travel with just a carry on BUT I would be that person that takes up all the isle space trying to get her bag in the overhead bin when it does not fit anyways.

Plus I travel for 5-10days at a time so I need lots of stuff (yes I ALWAYS over-pack, but in the Maritimes you can see 4 seasons in one day I am always prepared) Just not today.

And remember as bad as it seems today, "the sun will come out tomorrow"!

Just look at this way karma does exist, and what goes around comes around!

I know right now the day looks glum, but treat yourself to a good day of shopping and "me" stuff, and it will get better!

Keep your chin up, and when the red fire starts to burn I always go to the gym! Beating up a punching bag always makes me feel better!

Sorry about your travel woes, Emily, and all your frustrations in dealing with the bureaucracy. If it is any consolation, always remember that we very much appreciate you visiting this part of Canada.

oh no! I sincerely hope you get you stuff back quickly! I remember Air Canada Losing my luggage...didnt get it till three days later, but that was *returning* from a trip...I cant possibly imagine arriving at my destination on tour with only the clothes on my back and having to work right away :(

*keeping my fingers crossed for you to get your belongings swiftly delivered!*

As a guy who travels extensively I have for the most part been fortunate. Probably over hundreds of flight I've only lost luggage about 4 times. But I know what you're going through. When it does happen the support/service you get is horrible. Hang in there and if we had a date booked perhaps we could spend half the time shopping. Would be fun having you style various outfits then taking our new favs back home.

WC.

The chances of this happening 3 times in the past 6 weeks? Well before your story I would have said pretty damn remote but since you told us, I would now suggest that the chances of this occurring are 100%.

Sorry to make light Emily... it's happened a few times to me, luckily with not so dire consequences. I always got my stuff back.

But.... if you ever get a chance to see the inner workings of an airport, it is not so surprising. The volumes that they deal with in terms of luggage and cargo is mind boggling.

To top it off, when I call to inquire I am put through to a call center in India, where I after given all my details I am told Mr smith your bags are in Korea (Last time I checked I was a woman and no part of me is named smith, nor have I ever been to Korea) (I hope he gets his bags though).

How is it 1 checked bag shoes up and one is MIA. When I go online to find my bag, it tells me Invalid code. As an experienced lost baggage travler I know the signs and - Something tells me this is not a good sign.

Last time they gave me a whopping $200 to cover my loss (Seriously, what does that buy these days) This time it is my second set of brand new luggage, and if they do not find it, there will be hell to pay (The redhead in me will be unleashed)

Sunday afternoon in Charlottetown, I guess I am going to find a pub and see some sights (and find some stores)

Emily,

This absolutely sucks !

I assume you flew with a Canadian Airline, and it was a domestic flight ?

It's important because the airline liability is based on the routing of the flight, and there are rules based on international or domestic covering amount of claim..

Secondly, IMMEDIATELY ask to speak to a duty supervisor, explain that this is the second time.....BE PERSISTENT, it will pay off, they may give you an interim amount to spend to get you through a few days....

Unleash that red head in you.....it WILL make a difference, trust me...

SNK

Sorry for your troubles Emily.. please do tell the name of the airline if it's always been the same one. I want to make a note not to travel with them!

Have you seen the video for united breaks guitars?

the guy wrote it after they treated him badly when he complained about them breaking his guitar.. perhaps you can youtube a song up about your luggage going missing!:butt:

i am going to guess Air Canada. They managed to lose luggage for my friend on 2 fairly recent trips to toronto, both times going into toronto with no trouble on the way back.

Insist they give you a priority sticker for your luggage when you check in for the return trip. (it may not work but since this is the 3rd time, and if it is for a return trip, they might). I have not seen it take less than 2 days for them to "find" the bags. On both trips, tho, he was a late purchase/checkin, so there may be benefits to early checkin.

I've had that happen twice in 2 months. The first time I went to Memphis and my bags did not arrive. Instead they wound up in Louisville, Kentucky and only got them back as I was leaving to go home.

The other time was when I went to Philadelphia to see a client over a weekend and the bag was lost and never found. That was the weekend when there was a blackout on the east coast in the summer of 2003. I went there just as power was restored and had already experienced several flight delays. Imagine having to meet a client and you have no change of clothes, no makeup, nothing. A few hundred dollars does not make up for what was lost.

Now when I travel anywhere, I take a change of clothes with me and some makeup in a carry-on case. I don't trust airlines anymore when it comes to baggage issues.

I do travel a bit......and I have found the way to avoide the lost luggage.

If you are going to Vancouver...book that flight...but ask that your luggage be sent to Halifax...or Houston Tx.......

When they give you the perplexed look.....tell them that last time you planned your luggage to arrive with you..it landed some where else...so if you plan to send it somewhere else.....then it will meet you when you land:confused:

Additional Comments:

I do travel a bit......and I have found the way to avoide the lost luggage.

If you are going to Vancouver...book that flight...but ask that your luggage be sent to Halifax...or Houston Tx.......

When they give you the perplexed look.....tell them that last time you planned your luggage to arrive with you..it landed some where else...so if you plan to send it somewhere else.....then it will meet you when you land:confused:

oh no! I sincerely hope you get you stuff back quickly! I remember Air Canada Losing my luggage...didnt get it till three days later, but that was *returning* from a trip...I cant possibly imagine arriving at my destination on tour with only the clothes on my back and having to work right away :(

*keeping my fingers crossed for you to get your belongings swiftly delivered!*

I guess you could take the clothes on your back, off, n'est-ce-pas, if you had to get straight to work.

All joking aside, this has happened a few times to a friend of mine, who opts like Nicki to have his toiletries (not sure about a razor??) and a change of clothes in his carry on in the event something like this happens again.

So perhaps some lingerie and sex toys in your carry on would be interesting viewing for those guys who scan the luggage when it goes through that x-ray thing.

I guess you could take the clothes on your back, off, n'est-ce-pas, if you had to get straight to work.

All joking aside, this has happened a few times to a friend of mine, who opts like Nicki to have his toiletries (not sure about a razor??) and a change of clothes in his carry on in the event something like this happens again.

So perhaps some lingerie and sex toys in your carry on would be interesting viewing for those guys who scan the luggage when it goes through that x-ray thing.

Well after a day of some not so wonderful phone communication, they (yes Air Canada) found the bag. It is enjoying the sights in Gander and as I am leaving for a new city tomorrow, I may just ask for them to send it to St. Johns for me as I will be there next week. I am getting a bag sent here from home, if it arrives I will have it this morning.

These days you can only pack so much in carry on and they are super anal about what you even can bring, I hate feeling like a terrorist in security and I do not want to hold up the line so I carry on next to nothing.

The sick thing is it had a priority sticker on it, thats what made me even more mad.

After speaking to another call center rep, I am awaiting a call from a supervisor (and I will keep calling until they deal with the issue) I bet my Aeroplan number is red flagged and they are avoiding me.

Last month I traveled to Portland, Oregon and since no plane leaves from Ottawa or Montreal straight to Portland I had to switch plane in Vancouver and get my second flight ticket there. After getting my ticket the guy behind the counter said "your bags will be waiting for you in Honolulu". Of course he was kidding but I'm sure it happens all the time.

Your story reminds me of that scene in "Meet the parents" I hope no one got to open your bag and find all those sexy clothing.LOL

Guest s******ecan****
Well after a day of some not so wonderful phone communication, they (yes Air Canada) found the bag. It is enjoying the sights in Gander and as I am leaving for a new city tomorrow, I may just ask for them to send it to St. Johns for me as I will be there next week. I am getting a bag sent here from home, if it arrives I will have it this morning.

These days you can only pack so much in carry on and they are super anal about what you even can bring, I hate feeling like a terrorist in security and I do not want to hold up the line so I carry on next to nothing.

The sick thing is it had a priority sticker on it, thats what made me even more mad.

After speaking to another call center rep, I am awaiting a call from a supervisor (and I will keep calling until they deal with the issue) I bet my Aeroplan number is red flagged and they are avoiding me.

Make it clear its going to take a lot more than $200 to keep you happy this time! Don't wait for them to make an offer, decide what you want from them and demand it, don't accept anything until they've offerd you something that you are happy with.

Great News....

The bag has reached the mainland and I will have it for my Saint John visit. 2 more days. I really LOVE Air Canada right now.

I so wish I had a webcam on my luggage so I could see the adventures it has been on.

sorry to hear this.

like etasman, i have taken to carrying on everything, every time i travel. been doing it for years. even if they dont lose it, they can damage it or soak it by leaving it out in the rain which happened to my fellow travellers recently.

i wouldnt worry about being the lady who blocks the aisle. no one else worries, besides you're pretty good eye candy so i'm sure it'd be "ok". i wouldnt mind being the gut behind you being "forced" to watch you stretch up the pack the overhead, might even help out. ha ha ha . truthfully though if you have a bag a litttle too big for overhead you still dont have to check it as there is usually a rack right at the door before you board where you can place it and retrieve it upon exit. if the stewardwsses bitch, that is the time to tell them they can be trusted to check bags, and even have the 200 dollar cheque stub in your purse to prove it.

anything i dont absolutely need to bring with me i have taken to buying once there. less to carry, and less pressure packing beforehand. and i never met a woman who didnt love any justification to shop. just about anywhere has a wallmart now. and the airlines think every toiletry is a bomb anyway. check it for the return trip if you like. less stressful if they lose it on the way back.

Oh! I am so sorry!

Air Canada lost my luggage when i went to Brazil, but that only happen once. But they got it back to me in a week, now imagem a week in winter clothing in RJ?

I think they have figure out that you are a sex worker!

Stop booking with this airline, they are singling you out for sure!

Which air line is that? Tells us so we can boycoite them as well!

ever thought about packing yourself and hopefully your bags will get lost in hawaii or the bahamas

That is a very good thought and Idea. With my luck I would end up in the north pole without a coat.

That is a very good thought and Idea. With my luck I would end up in the north pole without a coat.

So you could join your fellow passengers for a little dip courtesy of the local Polar Bear Club.

polar%20bear.jpg

So you could join your fellow passengers for a little dip courtesy of the local Polar Bear Club.

polar%20bear.jpg

If you notice the guy in the back... take a good look at his neck. He has three adam's apples. Those extra two would be his testicles....