Mexico - Puerto Vallarta

Very recently, like 2 days ago, found out that at the end of November, I am heading to Mexico for a week of sand, sun, heat & tequila. Got a great deal for an all inclusive resort at Puerto Vallarta (same latitude as Hawaii) and decided to take the plunge. Looks like it will be between 28-31C for the week. We are travelling there with another couple that have been to this area of Mexico quite a bit.

The people we are going with are pretty much just there for the sun tanning and booze, not the culture. So far we have a tour of a "pirate ship" lol, and a "tequila tour" in which I plan to extensively sample the local beverage in the plans as well as extensive pool and lounge time. Apparently I have to go tanning for the next month so that I am ready to sit in the sun for a week.

As this is my first time in Mexico, I am wondering about any information, resources, websites or such that I might be able to access. A search here did not give very much information. Looks like a trip down that way is likely to be a yearly event although next year I am hoping to make it to Costa Rica for about 10 days if possible. I think this trip is a good excuse to study my Spanish to get ready for the CR next year. Feel free to post any information that might be of use or PM me if you wish.

The nice thing about PV is that you do not have to go far to get away from the all inclusive resort. Pop into a taxi and just go to the old town and walk around, check things out, find the market or shops, etc. It's a tourist town and it is a destination for ex-pats, meaning the end result is it is not necessarily all the way authentico lol. But I think it is a great way to break into the Mexico experience. When I was there, we stayed in the old town area in the types of hotels frequented by middle class Mexican families. In the south coast, the same thing. These are not only good value, but a bit more fun lol.

Here is some things to do, which I think with the time you have, might be the best thing. I took a horse back ride up to a river & waterfall area that was quite interesting.

http://www.canadianliving.com/life/travel/10_things_to_do_in_puerto_vallarta_mexico.php

http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_do/shopping.php

When I took a year plus break that is where we started, then jumped thru by bus into southern Mexico, the border, and into Central America. Recently I have been doing a LOT of looking at CR, and would definitely recommend it as a safe destination for someone who, as it seems you might be, who doesn't need to spend the entire trip on the beach sipping margaritas.

CR in the central valley, about an hour or so from San Jose, has active volcanoes (national park), butterfly fams, reptile zoo, coffee plantations, and then there is the activities like zip lines and white water rafting. There is something referred to as canopy tour I think, which involves those zip lines lol. Not my thing (I have issues with heights lol), but for a more advertous spirit, there you go. Then about an hour from that area, would be some beaches. http://www.govisitcostarica.com/region/city.asp?cID=388