Who's more responsible?

Guest *Ste***cque**

...for the welfare of our economy? Corporations or consumers?

Corporations close plants here to manufacture products cheaper in poorer countries. They do it to save a buck and increase market share, but consumers are choosing to buy those cheaper goods. So who's more at fault?

Everybody wants to blame the big, bad corporations. As sociopathic as big business can be, they are simply filling a demand for cheaper goods.

Consumers, whatever their economic status want a bargain, unless it's a high end luxury item but that's more a statement on status. Whatever your level of resources, people want to get the most out of what they have. Hedonic adaption means if you finally have achieved a financial goal, you shift the line forward. In order to meet that new line you do everything you can to reach it. Usually that means you're still seeking bargains. Lottery winners quickly get used to their new status and then want to keep up with the new batch of "Jones", believe it or not.

I'm not suggesting we don't try to manage what we have but there is a cost to supporting the Walmart's of this world and ignoring local providers. How is that different from corporations choosing cheaper workers over local ones?

Do you agree with this? If so, who's more at fault?

Guest st*****ens**ors

Fascinating question, and I'd like to respond at length, but I'm both tired and pleasantly enjoying my third glass of wine, and think a night of peaceful sleep might make that response more cogent. ;)