Office Party watchouts

Office holiday party: Not the place to say, ?I love you?

By Jenna Charlton

Are you among the 40% of recent survey respondents attending a company party this season?

Workopolis? recent poll indicates that only 40% of respondents say their companies are hosting their usual party, while 43% are not having a party at all. Another 17% of respondents say their company is having a party but scaling back.

In light of our country?s economic state, is this response a sign of things to come? Will our employers continue to scale back over the holidays? Do employees need to unite, and fight for our right to party?

A company holiday party is a ritual, is it not? It?s our time, as employees, to rub elbows with upper management, mingle with other departments, even the playing field. Not to mention get a free drink(s) and enjoy an open bar. It?s employee appreciation time!

Alright, perhaps feeling entitled to some holiday cheer on the company?s bill isn?t the correct approach to holiday parties. In fact a sense of entitlement or over indulgence may be the real reason behind some of the scaling back.

I?m sure you?ve all heard stories of drunken employees passing out at the table, or telling their bosses exactly what?s on their mind.

There are certainly some good tales floating around.

I once knew someone who became so intoxicated at a holiday party that he passed out in the cloakroom. Upon exiting the party, his colleagues had to try to nudge their coats out from underneath him. It was clear no one was going to move him until he woke up and stumbled out on his own.

I?ve also heard from friends who?ve had colleagues make inappropriate comments to them and their boss. FYI: slurring the words ?I love you?, doesn?t help you get a promotion.

Here are some quick tips to party by:

• 1.Sip instead of chug. Moderation of alcoholic beverages is a good thing. Being able to recount all holiday office party events should be the goal.
    2. Have fun. The flip side of being too drunk is being too stiff. It?s ok to let your guard down and enjoy everyone?s company. Mingle with people you don?t talk to every day. Again, office parties even the playing field.
    3. Leave before it gets ugly. If there?s a group that?s deciding to keep the party going, get out of there before the cameras come out. You don?t want your bad career move
to end up on Facebook.

Regardless of whether there?s a party or not, as employees, it is always nice to feel appreciated ? especially over the holidays. If companies are scaling back, it may in fact just be a sign of the times. A holiday work event, big or small, is a chance for an employer to show you that your contributions are valued. Take advantage, but not too much!

Happy Holidays everyone!