Server died - AGAIN!

What a nightmare. It's 5am and I have been working on this server ALL DAY. The MAIN hard drive in the database server died today! I think we just got a bad batch of hard drives!!

The main DB server is still not online, the system is running just off the new main server right now as we continue to repair the old one.

I need some sleep so I am hopping the main server can handle the full load for now so I can get some sleep.

Sorry for the site being off all day everyone. I swear it's murphy's law and murphy does not like cerb (OR ME)!

I am going to bed and crossing my fingers.

We will ALL be patient....happy nappy MOD...seems like we are missing info on site from about mid Thursday...well let's get some good karma in the mix and everything will be okay :) Angie

Great to the see the site restored.

I can sympathize with Mods problem. I worked for many years in an industry where 24 hour service was expected, and when things go wrong the scramble that takes place to fix the problems. As he indicates , there is still work to be done so let's all be patient while he gets everything back to normal.

Good luck, everyone appreciates the effort that you have been making to make this a wonderful resource for us all.

I don't think it's personal on Murphys side, he seems to poke any and all when he is cranky. I for one find the servers going down to remind me that CERB is a part of my daily routine and I should be grateful for the work put into making it the sight it is. Rest MOD, and know we all appreciate what you do, even if we don't know or understand the full extent of it...

cat

I second Cat's remarks - I really missed this site!

I tried knocking on the Cerb door all day & really felt the isolation of being disconnected. I need to get out more.

Glad it's up Mod and thank you for your persistence. I feel your pain.

I second Cat's remarks - I really missed this site!

I tried knocking on the Cerb door all day & really felt the isolation of being disconnected. I need to get out more.

Glad it's up Mod and thank you for your persistence. I feel your pain.

I, too, tried logging on numerous times during the day. It made me realize how much I enjoy CERB whether I'm looking to connect with a nice lady, or just to catch up on the news and latest jokes from RoamingGuy.

Glad it's back up now. My fingers are crossed. Thanks for all the hard work MOD!

... I swear it's murphy's law and murphy does not like cerb (OR ME)!...

Murphy was an optimist and his laws don't discriminate, they hate everyone equally!

Get some sleep, you deserve it!

Guest Ou**or**n

Hmm, 833 active users at the moment and the site is still very fast. Tell that db server it's not really needed and if it doesn't shape up you'll ship it out. I find computers listen better when threatened with not being needed :)

Thanks for all your work and hope you got some good sleep.

I am just glad the site is back, I was going through withdrawl!

haha

An old expression from when I was young:

You don't know what you have till it is gone!

Man I missed Cerb. This is my hobby!

Glad it is back, and I'm glad you are ok Mod! Have a great sleep, and have a coffee.

Thank for all of your hard work MOD, I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with stuff like that on an almost daily basis! As others have said, this is my hobby too, and I did miss CERB:grin:

Thanks to you Mod for all your hard work and dedication. I think I can speak for the community when I say we all appreciate you and the effort you put forth.

thanks everyone. the site has not been very dependable lately and I do hope this is the end of it. did we loose many posts? I took the backup that was created on Friday at 3am so anything from 3am till when the server crashed was lost.... but with the errors on the hard drive the backup may be missing some posts. paradise says mid-thursday so if anything is missing I am very sorry.

that is 4 hard drives die in the last three months. and we not only back the drives up by running them in raid (mirror) we do a full noc backup every night (if not we would, have been very screwed here as both raid drives were unrecoverable)

the database server is still a mess and offline but with the new main server being upgraded, the script bug fixed and memcached working (and running without breaking a sweat right now) maybe we don't need it.... just add some more ram and we may get lucky. I will give it a few days to see....

Guest o*****24

Just to join in. We really appriciate all the work you put in MOD. Get your rest, and keep up the amazing work!

Hope you had a well deserved rest MOD and ohhh well we ONLY lost a day of posts/threads......don't sweat it if you cannot recover everything shit happens.....the most important to us all is that we got our CERB back. Thanks again :) I was lost yesterday lol Angie ox

Some stuff I can... it takes longer on the ipad. I can with a laptop too in most cases. My desktop however has multiple screens, a mouse and actual keyboard so things get done VERY fast. What takes me an hour on the desktop would take two hours or more on the ipad as it's limited still. It is however convenient and I would recommend it to anyone.

...that is 4 hard drives die in the last three months. and we not only back the drives up by running them in raid (mirror) we do a full noc backup every night (if not we would, have been very screwed here as both raid drives were unrecoverable)...

What make of hard drives are you using?

For what it's worth, over the last 30 years, I've had my share of drive failures, mostly due to age or inadequate cooling / air flow.