Many of us here are parents and I know that, despite having grown up in supposedly sexually liberated times lots of us find it difficult to talk to our children--particularly teenagers--about sex, gender, sexuality, sexual relationships, expectations, negotiations, birth control, STIs and all that. Fortunately there are some very good resources for teenagers on the interwebs. One of the very best is http://www.scarleteen.com/. It's American and, not surprisingly, given its accurate, no-nonsense content, it receives no government funding or support. It doesn't rely on commercial advertising. It operates solely on money donated by visitors.

Sex education varies in quality and focus all across Canada. Scarleteen is a vital resource for young people here as well as in the States. They're having a funding drive. Canadians can donate, though we won't receive tax credits for our donations. Nonetheless, I'd like to urge everyone who is in any position to make a donation, however small or large, to have a good look at Scarleteen and consider offering them your support.

• Like 1

What a great site! Thank you Samantha for the link, and I agree this site is worthy of private support. Having 4 daughters, this kind of site would have been helpful for all of them...

cat

Guest s******ecan****

Nice find.....thanks for sharing......yes far be it for the government to be interested in the truth

Thanks, Cat and Scott.

One of the best articles I have ever read, anywhere, about how things really could be--even, how they should be--for our teenage children is "An Immodest Proposal" by Heather Corinna. It's given me a lot to think about. I have a 16 year-old son who is very devoted to a particular girl and open with me about what he feels and hopes for.

I find myself balking at the idea of allowing them to have sex in our house, and then feeling ashamed of myself for not being more consistent in my own thinking, realistic about what he and the girl are up to, and more generous overall. I guess this just goes to show that Scarleteen is good for parents, too!