In the PM folders there are six fields across.

The second field between the message status and the title is generally empty. Recently I received a message with a smiley in this field. Not being part of the message body, I can't seem to find out how the smiley got put in there by the sender. It also was not part of the ones listed in the message composition screen, but a more expanded group.

I'd appreciate some one explaining how this is done, don't see it in the FAQ's

I think what you're talking about is a "post icon". Under every reply-to-post and PM, there is a list of icons, of which you can only choose one

What I'm looking for is the expanded set of icons. The adult set doesn't appear at the bottom when replying to private messages.

I am copying a quote by the Mod from another thread.

To access all the smilies please use the Click the image to open in full size. WHITE smile DROP DOWN box in the editor. This will now bring up over 100 smilies for you.

Unfortunately I don't have the White smile DROP DOWN box appearing in my editor, is this some option that needs to be set.