The C-word and Social Media

Guest W***ledi*Time

Love the topic!

I'm from a generation where men used the C-word in the derogatory sense (and rarely too). As teenagers, we would use it as an invective to describe our various teachers. It was considered especially ingenious if the person's name rhymed with C**t (like: Mr. Hunt the C**t).

There have been:

Poems written - too numerous to mention.

Shows performed (Vagina Monologues). Prior to the show's beginning, the audience chants: "C**t, C**t, C**t", etc...

Art exhibits (the dinner party)

Many photographs of vegetables or fruits that resemble

Celebrities that decorate the damn thing (vagasling)

On a personal level, I have to admit some amusement to the fascination with the critter. News media just love to get their noses up someone`s skirt at the mere whiff of a political scandal (they don`t get so curious with the guy`s appendage). Me?...I just love to curl up with a good book and a warm pussy.

Guest s******ecan****

I'm a big soccer fan and belong to a forum for my favourite team. Of course 90% of the members are English. They throw '''' around constantly (with the occaisional twat just for a change), yet they almost always use it a a term of derision aimed at a man. They never use the word dick, prick, or cocksucker, or motherfucker, etc. Almost exclusively '''', its so common it shows up at least once in every thread...no word of a lie.

I think this discussion shares a lot in common with the controversey over the Dire Straits song a few weeks ago. "Faggot" was deemed offensive in the context in which it was used, while the songwriter always intended it to reflect the narrow, biggoted perspective of the character the song was about. I read an article in the Citizen the following day where a sociologist said we couldn't compare it to the way words like b**ch and some ethnic slurs were commonly used in rap and hip hop becuase of the acceptable context in which those words were suppossedly used (which is why "faggot" was used in the first place). And I think that's what it boils down to; context.

I think that's why soccer players use the C word against other men; it denotes feminity and therefore weakness. I guess it depends on how you use it. I for one don't because I lean towards the argument that it is offensive, so I wouldn't even use it in a conversation with someone who doesn't.

See You Next Tuesday.. one of my friends says that a lot.. but takes people a while to get it.. C. U. Next Tuesday. She rarely says the proper word.. and I hesitate to use it still..

I don't think we're quite ready for a song celebrating it.. but I sing Meredith Brooks' song ''Bitch'' proudly at karaoke..

Guest S***e

I have not and will not use the "c word" under any circumstances nor will I use the "n word" either. What can I say, I'm old and am of a different generation.

Ever notice how the English language is filled with words that are considered to be offensive that have histories of discrimination and marginalization?

Examples: the r-word (r#t@rd- oppression of people with disabilities), f@g- opression of queer communities, n-word, oppression of black folks, b!tch-oppression of women...

Also notice that a lot of the words in English language that are offensive are also body parts?

Examples: ass, c word, d!ck etc...

This is a reflection of our anti-sex anti-body culture. (The F-word originally meant "to have sex" and now it's one of the most offensive words in the language)

A language can tell you a lot about a culture. (Think about how many words we have for money in the English language? Now think about how many words we have for community?)

I used to be obsessed with etymology (the study of the origins of words).

Type in any word here and see where it comes from and what it originally meant: http://www.etymonline.com/

This book called '''' was really awesome when I read it. For those of you interested in it: http://www.ingalagringa.com/''''/, there you go!

Sky

Any insight Sky on why the quebecois like to swear using items found in a church? I now swear in English, French and Dutch but can't carry a conversation in any other language. Swearing in a foreign language is fun.

btw.. in Dutch calling someone an a-hole is ''clotzuk" (that's the pronunciation not the spelling I'm sure) and literally means scrotum. It's really funny... to me at least.