Snow Etiquette! we all need it

Snow Etiquette?

With more snow coming, we need to start asking, "What are the do's and don'ts of common courtesy in bad weather?"

[/url]

Taryn Grimes-Herbert

Section Sponsored By

ATCollapse.gif ;alias=ox-newrochelle-slot7;size=300x120;target=_blank;loc=300;key=opinion+the-neighborhood-files"] ADTECH;grp=[group];alias=ox-newrochelle-slot7;size=300x120;target=_blank;loc=300;key=opinion+the-neighborhood-files

Backing out of my driveway has become a challenge.

I've got snow on both sides, piled 5 feet high from the street plows. Just to make it worse, somebody who doesn't even live on our street keeps parking directly across from me so I can barely make it out.

You'd think in these tough times, people would have a little courtesy and try to be good neighbors.

It got me to thinking. What is the proper snow etiquette for this kind of weather?

Here are my top 10 suggestions:

1. Don't shovel your snow onto sidewalks, or onto your neighbor's property.
  2. Make sure you don't toss your snow into the street. Somebody driving in a smaller car could get stuck in bigger piles.
  3. If you know of a neighbor who might need a little assistance, take a few extra minutes and clear their pathway or mailbox.
  4. Clear off your car, even if you don't plan on using it for a while. Your neighbors shouldn't have to watch the mounds of snow pile up around your vehicle, and it could block somebody's vision.
  5. If you borrow shovels, snow blowers or any winter equipment, return them in perfect condition and replace any gas you use.
  6. Mail carriers have it tough right now. Make sure your stoop is properly cleared and salted so they can safely do their job.
  7. Check on the elderly.
  8. When parking, don't block anyone in, and if possible, clear a little snow when you leave.
  9. Drive slowly and keep an eye out for pedestrians, especially kids, who may pop out from behind from those incredibly high snow piles.
  10. When you go out for supplies, ask if your neighbors might need one or two things while you're out. The less people on the streets the better.

It's very sad that the obvious needs to be pointed out to people.

#4 I'm not 100% sure that I agree with, I guess it depends on where the car is and how much snow is on it.

I'll add a suggestion to what Loralee posted, back into your parking space/driveway, that when when you go out you can just put her into drive and go

RG

As a walker only, I'd like to add - MOVE out of the middle of the sidewalk if you're just standing there when someone is walking, so they don't have to walk into a giant snowdrift - like I just did when I went to the laundromat, grrrrrr

THINK and LOOK before you pull out of parking spot or parking lot. Nearly nailed two jackasses who took short chances with my car heading their way today.

Don't stand in the middle of the street. I am already angry because two people tried to kill me earlier, I don't need an easy target.

Don't PARK opposite or anywhere near the turning radius of a driveway. I won't feel guilty when your new car goes crunch.

Don't remind me of the storms of your childhood that were much worse than this. Remember you were much shorter then and snow up to your chest as a kid would reach mid calf on me.

Telling me to stay home and off the roads won't work. Calling my boss and telling them that you will make up the shortfall in my paycheque will. Hell, if you do that, I will take a couple of weeks off for ya.

• Like 1

THINK and LOOK before you pull out of parking spot or parking lot. Nearly nailed two jackasses who took short chances with my car heading their way today.

Don't stand in the middle of the street. I am already angry because two people tried to kill me earlier, I don't need an easy target.

Don't PARK opposite or anywhere near the turning radius of a driveway. I won't feel guilty when your new car goes crunch.

Don't remind me of the storms of your childhood that were much worse than this. Remember you were much shorter then and snow up to your chest as a kid would reach mid calf on me.

Telling me to stay home and off the roads won't work. Calling my boss and telling them that you will make up the shortfall in my paycheque will. Hell, if you do that, I will take a couple of weeks off for ya.

You tell em Old Dog! :)

But those snowstorms were much much worse...not to mention the uphill climb, both ways mind you, to and from school...school that was 20 miles from the nearest town, not to mention, these snowstorms hit year round, even in summer. :icon_rolleyes::icon_mrgreen::icon_rolleyes:

RG:biggrin:

Guest s******ecan****

Might not qualify as "snow etiquette" but I really can't stand it when I see someone driving who hasn't bothered to take 5 minutes to properly scrape their windshields. There they go with side windows completeley iced over and a little clear patch in the front. They're a frickin hazard.

Guest f***2f***

And get some god damned snow tires for God's sake!! As

points out All Season radials are made for places that don't have real winters....you need Winter Tires for this climate. When I get stuck behind some jackass sliding all over the road or spinning his wheels cause he hasn't got proper tires it really pisses me off....OK now I feel better...thanks for listening (reading)

And if you're living in Vancouver, try not to remind your friends in other parts of the country that we only have to shovel the worst of our weather every three or four years.....

Guest jake_cdn

- Always carry booster cables ... CAA is great but on days like this it takes hours to get them to come

- Always shovel a clear path to Starbucks ... you never know when your car will breakdown and you have to walk

Have to agree about the snow tires. What are people thinking??? Ottawa is not Vancouver. Finally the people in Toronto who have had a harsher winter than us are realizing this.