Another song thread

Guest G***f******

Why are there so many music related threads here? I have a theory.

Music is a story telling art, but unlike the others (movies, TV, books) music is more portable. With movies and TV, we generally sit in one spot and focus just on the story. Music, we take with us. We listen to it in the car, while we bike, run, work, workout, make love.

A music stays with us. I read books constantly, my movie collection grows weekly, and while I have no problem, reading the same books a second or third time, I don't recite passages in my head, like I would a verse from a song. We get them stuck in there and find ourselves singing or humming aloud without realizing it.

Music is personal. Like scent, it reminds us of specific times and places in our lives.

With that being said, I wanted to start a thread about songs that touch us deeply.

My choice is What it's Like by Everlast.

There is just something about the music and story of this song that gives me goosebumps every. Single. Time. I hear it.

This is the story of the girl that got away, or rather the girl I pushed away.

Every time I listen to this song I relive the relationship and it chokes me up. I was listening to it now and before I realized it I felt tears flowing.

"Her Diamonds" by Rob Thomas. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, it breaks me heart every time I hear it. It makes me relive the overwhelming feeling of helplessness and loss that I went through.

Maybe its just male menopause, but for me its a song without lyrics ... a simple piano solo with some accompaniment at the end: "Stardust" by Dave Brubeck.

Music just has a different effect on our minds than anything else ... at its best, its probably better at drawing out more emotions, truth, fantasies, than anything else "legal."