Next week begins National Organ Donor Awareness Week across Canada.

Organ donation is a topic with which I have always had some level of awareness, as I am certain is the same for most of us. In the past year it moved from the awareness level to the reality level and that ongoing experience has been one of such emotional turmoil - it is tragic yet at the same time an uplifting and beautiful thing.

The sudden and unexpected loss of my wife has resulted in five other people receiving life saving major organ donations. I understand that all are doing well. I have heard from two of them through very personal and powerful notes, and I have spoken with one recipient who I shall meet in the near future. I am so fortunate that I have been able to find such a ray of hope from an unfathomable tragedy.

The main purpose of this thread however is to share some of the things that you may not be aware of.

Primarily I wish to address the issue of organ donation cards and authorizations.

You may have signed the card or indicated your wishes on a drivers licence or in a health care directive, but it is important to note that those wishes have NO legal authority. The decision of whether a person will be an organ donor rests solely with the family. The family may choose to withhold permission, even with a donor card in existence, or vice-versa, may give permission if the topic had never come up for discussion.

I encourage you to speak with your own families about this so that should they have to make a decision on your behalf or you have to do so on their behalf, that the decision is informed and easily made, even under what will be traumatic circumstances.

I will not fill this with statistics, as they are easily available online, but Canada has one of the lowest donation rates in the world, the waiting lists FAR surpass the available organs, a high percentage of families DO refuse the request when it is made by medical teams, and the success rate for transplants is incredibly high.

It is each of us as individuals who can help, by discussing this with our family members and by being prepared, should just the "right" circumstances arise, to make what really is, "A Gift of Life."

Respectfully, for your consideration.

Great topic. I too am also an organ donor. Sorry about the loss of your wife. I am grateful to hear how much your wife's organs have helped others very moving story.Thanks for sharing with us.

All my paper work is in order as far as organ donation is concerned though not sure if anyone will want my well worn parts.

Also don't forget to donate blood, I donate every 6 weeks......it's in you to give!

Peace

MG

Also don't forget to donate blood, I donate every 6 weeks......it's in you to give!

From my understanding, most of us would be excluded as we've had sex that involved an exchange of money. Someone at Health Canada must think that HIV is transmitted via money.

Once I have shuffled off the beaten mortal path, this body is but an empty husk. It is to be trekked as such. Any and all bodily tissues or fluids which can be salvaged should be and donated as need dictates.

Put it in your will kids and make sure people know your wishes.

PIO

I have to come on here an tell you how valuable your donation can be.

I'll approach it from the other side of the fence. My wife had a blood based cancer and went through an initial bone marrow transplant using her own stem cells. Although she initially had great results, the treatment didn't give her a lasting solution. As her condition became fairly grave, it was decided to try again using a donor stem cell. The odds in finding a donor through the registry can take a lot of time and are pretty slim, but fortunately one of her relatives was a match. Unfortunately, there were complications, and my wife is no longer with us.

I came across many patients in my visits to the hospital who are hanging on waiting for the generosity of people like us. In this case it rather simple to put you name on the donor registry. The odds that they'll come looking for the donation are slim, but I'll guarantee that the sense of pride is great should you be chosen.

• Like 1

Have appreciated the responses here today.

A reminder of the primary purpose of the thread is the information below. Signing up to be a donor is not nearly as important as notifying your family of those wishes. I was not sure if some of the respondents picked that up.

Primarily I wish to address the issue of organ donation cards and authorizations.

You may have signed the card or indicated your wishes on a drivers licence or in a health care directive, but it is important to note that those wishes have NO legal authority. The decision of whether a person will be an organ donor rests solely with the family. The family may choose to withhold permission, even with a donor card in existence, or vice-versa, may give permission if the topic had never come up for discussion.

I encourage you to speak with your own families about this so that should they have to make a decision on your behalf or you have to do so on their behalf, that the decision is informed and easily made, even under what will be traumatic circumstances.

Thank you mrrnice for bringing this up and for making people aware he importance of notifying family is.

I a while ago had this talk with my parents and siblings and they know it is my decision to donate my organs. It is a tough topic to bring up as is always sad to think on the possibility of a beloved death but is reality.

To you and Boomer, all my admiration as not anyone would have helping others in mind when going through such a painful loss :)

I have signed the card, and my family knows my wishes.

I would much prefer my body once I die be used to help as many people as it can, instead of being buried in the ground rotting away good to no one

RG

i work in a hospital...and I tell you there is nothing more rewarding when you meet or find people who have been given a new lease on life........amazing.....

eyes are the most basic and do so much for the world.....

my penis is up for donation........hehehe

Guest S*rca****sid

When I saw the title I thought this thread was going to be about something else...

Great thread. Such an important issue. I have signed the card and let my family know my wishes to donate. Be it that I drive a motorcycle, my family believe that it could be sooner rather than later that I will be donating. I keep reminding them that I try to drive safely but you can never know.

I'm not sure if anyone would want my organs after all the abuse i've put them through! :p

But seriously, Anybody needs a kidney after i'm dead, why should I care if they take mine?

I found these 2 links with important information about organ donation and how to proceed. Some have already been mentioned in the thread but I think is still important and interesting for those who plan to do it to be as well-informed as possible.

Unfortunately as Megan said none of us who actually practice as SP's or hobbyists can currently be eligible to donate. But hopefully none of us will be a candidate any soon anyway :)

http://www.lifecanada.org/html/newsletter/Vol5/no2/DefiningDeathTakingasecondLookatOrganDonation.html

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/prb0824-e.htm