Despite the title of the thread, this is not a life crisis decision (well, maybe it is..)

I need help to decide what kind of a motorbike to get.

Here are the parameters:

* A decent displacement - at least 1500cc.

* Want a comfortable around-town type of machine without too much weight to hump. I'm a shorter person (5'6") and I need to be able touch the ground at stop lights. I'm able to move mass if it calls for it. I know how to handle bigger bikes.

* Will be doing some long-distance tours with a passenger. I need adequate rear suspension so that luggage and passenger won't put a strain on the suspension and bottom-out.

* I love a cruiser style, but I'm not sure if this is the right configuration for long distance.

Here are the bikes I'm considering:

- 1500 Kawasaki Nomad FI (with hard bags)

- 1600-1700 Yamaha Roadstar/Stratoliner

- Honda Goldwing (reluctant because it's a Huge luxo-Bus). I don't think it's that easy to lug around town either. But it's reliable and comfy.

- Honda Valkyrie (I worry about aging - they don't make this thing anymore)

I don't want a HD - too expensive.

What do you think?

Guest f***2f***

Consider Suzuki too....I have an 800cc Boulevard, the C50 but they also make a 1500cc...the C90 and a C109 1800 cc

I have driven the C50 for 6 years and enjoy it very much. I'm not sure if they have the C90 for 2011.

I like Honda Shadows nice cruser liquid cooled.

A friend of mine had a 1999 yamaha 1600cc Road Star with about 9200Km. No that is not a typo less the 10'000 km on it. He was in an industrail accident at work and is now in a wheel chair. He has let me take it for a spin a couple of times and it sure has a nice machine, heel tow shifter running boards. Lot of power ment to be on the highway, aorund town every day I would not choose this bike. If I had the money I would buy it off of him.

I have a Vulcan 900 and it is great. If you are looking for something bigger in a cruiser go for the 1600 Kawasaki Vulcan. Great cruiser and a fantastic ride. Just my humble opinion.

5'6" and looking for a cruiser to tour and ride around town in the 1500cc range? There are a bunch of contradictions in there! ;)

I second the vote for the Suzuki. While I don't think a cruiser is best suited to touring, the C90 or M90 have plenty of power for two up riding and touring, and it's not that heavy. Shaft drive, which requires minimal maintenance. Low center of gravity, and low seat height, both great for control especially if you're not tall.

I find the Vulcan top heavy. The Goldwing is a beast, ditto the Yammy RoyalStar.

Personally, I traded in my M50 for more of a sport touring bike (VStrom) because cruisers aren't comfy on longer rides. The VStrom is tall, though; I'm 5'9" and chose to lower it 3/4 of an inch.

I would look at an older BMW twin ... they are bulletproof and have manageable weight and are made to tour. Buying a used BMW is not a risk as most owners take great care of their machines. I put 350,000 km on my 1978 R100 and it took me to south america and back sans problem....thus my bias.

of the machines you mentioned, the Valkyrie would be my choice. If I was to buy a bike today I would probably get a used VFR800 as they are sporty, bulletproof and comfortable to tour on....though maybe not with a passenger

r100rs

I'm a big motorcycle fan myself and I understand your concern about any HD being expensive but with our Canadian dollar high right now you can get a brand new HD at below $20 G which many of the 1500 cc or more are worth.

Keep in mind that any HD motorcycle lose less value then any Japanese bikes. I can't say about the European bikes cause I'm not sure. My 1994 HD has never let me down and would buy another one in a heart beat.

My 2 cent.

Guest f***2f***
I would look at an older BMW twin ... they are bulletproof and have manageable weight and are made to tour. Buying a used BMW is not a risk as most owners take great care of their machines. I put 350,000 km on my 1978 R100 and it took me to south america and back sans problem....thus my bias.

of the machines you mentioned, the Valkyrie would be my choice. If I was to buy a bike today I would probably get a used VFR800 as they are sporty, bulletproof and comfortable to tour on....though maybe not with a passenger

r100rs

My first bike was a BMW and I always say that they are built for tall German men. I'm 6' and couldn't put both feet flat on the ground.

That said, if you're rich enough to buy a BMW, they offer the R1200GS with a lowered seat and suspension. Much better fit for a shorter person.

I think I'm closer to a decision - I like the rider opinions for the Kawasaki Nomad.

I was just "this close" to a Valk - but I had to re-examine my logic. Sadly, the smoothness, reliability, etc isn't enough to fit my purchase criteria. There are downsides.

Overall - it is very difficult to make a rational decision on what is essentially an irrational vehicle.