FIFA Women's World Cup - Canada

The 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup is taking place in Germany starting this coming Saturday.

Canada is fielding its strongest team ever. We are rated 6th in the world.

Women's soccer is shamefully unsupported.

I'm hoping that as many cerbites as possible will follow the tournament and Canada's fortunes in particular.

Shamefully for me I forgot before starting this thread to find a link to post to make it easy to follow them and post messages of support. Hopefully someone more techno savvy than me can correct that.

Canada's women have a tough start. For their first game they play Germany, the reigning world champions, on Saturday in Berlin.

I look forward to comments.

Yours in women's soccer.

Daddio, the Proselytizer.

If I see a game on TV i'll stop and watch it but I'm not a huge fan of soccer. Still though, Canadian pride!

thanks for the link reddog

It means my work productivity will go downhill for the next few weeks!! lol

Additional Comments:

Wow, Thanks for the info daddio, I did not know about Canada's team nor did I know about the date. I am going to tune in when Canada is playing.

The website is: http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/index.html

Does our team look anything like this?

screenshot20110621at859.png

Forgot to mention reddog - our team doesn't look like that because our team "has balls" - and kicks them!!

Guest gagagaga

i will watch the highlights of the tournament afterwards...both of them!!

First game is Sunday 26 Jun I think at 11 am Eastern Time - Canada vs Germany. Go Canada...

Here is the Canadian team doing some training. This is the best Canadian Woman's Soccer Team ever:

screenshot20110625at958.png

Hi Reddog

Not a bad first half until Germany's 2nd goal - which I thought was clearly offside. Bad call, or lack of call, by the second official.

I thought McLeod came too far off her line for the first goal but she's not very tall and even if she hadn't come off her line she may not have been able to save it as it was just under the bar. But she didn't lose her confidence.

I wasn't surprised to hear that Canada had more possession - they are using short passing in the final third to open up the German defence

What would have happened if Sinclair had scored???

But that's what soccer is all about.

Chapman is playing well in Canada's defence- I would count 2 mistakes she made - when she tackled and the ball came off the German's shins and Chapman was then out of the play. The second ...... oh dear I've forgotten. Damn!!

Canada has been creating chances and maybe the defence will tighten up in the second half after the coach gives her half time talk.

Sinclair is being at least double, and sometimes treble marked when she gets the ball.

Here we go for the second half.

Mmmm - sounds like the commentators don't agree that the second goal was offside.

Chapman has played well

Having seen the replays I have to admit that the second goal wasn't offside and the first goal was more of the defence "ball watching" - i.e. not looking around to see where opponents are - especially looking behind you. Defenders should not face the sidelines where the ball is, they should stand more at an angle so they have better all around vision.

But what a player Sinclair is. Wow. A beautiful goal.

Canada demonstrated so much grit and determination we should all be proud of our women's soccer team!!!!!

Let's get behind them and let them know we are supporting them.

Big shocker today as Japan outsmarted the German women and won the game in extra time.

The Japanese captain. Sawa is surely gonna be a legend of this competition.

Good forecast Bigbaby

She is a legend. What a goal from her to take them to penalties - such a well timed, well angled flick to put the ball past Hope Solo.

And what a game it was.

I was so impressed by how these small and strong Japanese players, particularly the strikers who by and large were isolated for a good part of the game, were able to shield the ball and hold it up against much taller opponents.

And Sawa played a captain's game. That beautiful through ball which split the USA's defence but the angle was tight and the shot went into the side net.

And, to be fair, I thought this was the best I've seen the US play. You have to feel for Abby Wambach after that shot of her's crashed off the bar.

Both sides played passes straight to the opposition from time to time. The US was really punished when the captain played to an opponent trying to play out of defence and that led to the first equalising goal with a terrible mix-up between the 2 central defenders.

It was a gripping game all the way to the wire.

Congratulations Japan.