The Trafficking in Persons Report.....

Guest tr*****e

Wow. My eyes just glazed over about mid-way through the 2nd paragraph. If I understood all that preceded that point correctly, this is about bureaucrats who purport to be sharing ideas on combating the world slave trade, but just sit around and play windows solitaire? Or something to that effect?

Wow. My eyes just glazed over about mid-way through the 2nd paragraph. If I understood all that preceded that point correctly, this is about bureaucrats who purport to be sharing ideas on combating the world slave trade, but just sit around and play windows solitaire? Or something to that effect?

The point is that it's impossible to judge the accuracy - or not - of any report if you don't know where the data came from or how it was gathered (and who funded it, for that matter, although that's not so much of an issue for government reports). This makes it pretty much worthless if you want to draw any serious conclusions from it as you have no idea how much weight to give to it.

Guest tr*****e
The point is that it's impossible to judge the accuracy - or not - of any report if you don't know where the data came from or how it was gathered (and who funded it, for that matter, although that's not so much of an issue for government reports). This makes it pretty much worthless if you want to draw any serious conclusions from it as you have no idea how much weight to give to it.

Ah yes, the amorphous statistic that anyone can bend to mean anything. Points to Phaedrus(if only the button responded) for being concise. Philosophy, I understand. Research papers, not so much(whoever decided that big words printed in small font was any more intelligent than simply telling the score?

I posted this because there is a lot of exceptionalism and sensationalism going on in the media with regards to trafficking.

As well, a few of the stats that anti-prostitution groups like to throw around, are NOT generalizeable to all sex workers, but they'll quote them as if they apply to everyone. This is why it's so so so important when reading research to check the methodology. Who did they talk to? What questions were asked? How were participants recruited? Etc.