Dedicated to someone who made a difference in my life.

I was the same with my grandpa.

He would give anyone (even a stranger) the shirt off his back if he felt they needed it.

He was my mentor and inspiration in my life. He has taught me that true happiness comes from within, and that the only way to be truly happy with ones self is to help others. That is why I am a huge volunteer in my community.

When ever people ask me why I do what I do for others I tell them because making others happy really does make me happy, there is not a day that goes by I don't think about my grandpa!

So I second your "here's to ALL grandpa's, and others that inspire us to be the best we can be"

• Like 1

Old Dog,

This is indeed touching and moving and inspiraional.

Thanks for doing this and making people reflect on those that have made a difference in their lives.

• Like 1

Great post old dog!

Unfortunately long distances and death kind of made it so I never had the relationships with my grandparents that are described in this thread.

But as far as having a huge impact on my life, My parents fit the bill nicely!

My father instilled his insane work ethic in me and to this day, nothing short of a hospital visit or advice from a physician keeps me from missing work. Plus, he taught me how to tie a proper windsor knot for the RARE occasions I wear a tie :)

My Mom, I'm not going to say much on this one... A wonderful, amazing person, whom I think about every day. I would be a much worse person if she wasn't in my life and I would probably either be dead or in jail if it wasn't for her love, compassion and understanding.

Here's to all the people we were lucky enough to have in our lives who affected us so greatly. Be they family by blood, or family by choice, thank goodness for all of them and the gifts they've given us.

• Like 1

Great post Old Dog. Nice and refreshing to see someone express feelings and appreciation for people who do make a difference when it is so much easier to critisize and be sinical.

Must admit my parents were there for me and did teach a lot. My dad taught me discipline, the importance of sharing our talents, keeping my word, a sense of duty and doing the right thing. So did my mom but she also had this enormous gift of building relationships. She would observe people and only talk to complement them on their particular strength even someone who would seam reprehensible to most. She would never condemn or criticize but would rather encourage and show her love and affection. Everyone loved her. I still miss her very much. Also still remember a favorite uncle who knew how to work hard but mostly when to stop and switch on to having a good time... quite a caracter.

Congratulation on your post. I find it quite inspiring.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

It has been sitting on the back burner for a couple of weeks and I just thought it would be a tribute to the man on what would have been his birthday.

I often sit back and marvel at what the man saw in his life... and I think one of the most amazing things that I discovered after his death is that during the second world war he had farm hands - German POWs. My mom tells us that he received letters for years from those men thanking him for his kindness.

At his funeral, there were more smiles than tears. We all had lost the best friend we could have ever had, but I think each of us was more thankful that we knew him and 15 years later, he is still in our thoughts.

I just loved reading this, it brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing that. I would say my father has made a profound impact of the kind of person I have become. He can leave a room and no one could ever say anything behind his back, cause well there is nothing to be said! He is kind, giving, and he too has stuggeled through a very difficult past. He is not an educated man, had to work on a farm after failing grade 3( that is what happened in thoes days if you failed 2times!), but with no education, he raised 3 girls and always provided for us:) He says he is not smart, but I think he certainly is!! He can precieve things so clearly, catching things most of us would miss! He is not rich, but says he is the riches man alive for the love he has for his family, hold not a great job, but does his job great! The kind of man who says" when I pass away, I better not have one damn flower at my funeral, cause I want that money to go to charity!" I love my dad:)

• Like 1

My Father had a huge impact on who I am today. Ever since I was a child I was a daddy's girl. I followed him around incessantly wanting to help fix the car, build what he was building; and when I got older I still enjoyed the company of him by doing volunteer work together, going to his baseball and hockey games and him telling stories of my ancestral relatives.

When I got older, we would go out for breakfast every few weeks or so, just him and I. For reasons I didn't see then but do now, I could talk to my Father in a way that no one else could or dared. Not my Mother and certainly not my sister or even his own brothers. We always had a special relationship that I have taken so much away from.

He taught me what unconditional love is, and to just be myself and good to people. This is not always me, but he most certainly gave me the tools to do so.

He was an ordinary military man. A family man with a backbone and values. I miss him. He died 6 months ago yesterday.

• Like 2