I completely understand a standard deposit scam. Send money in advance and then don't meet up. Great (not really but you know what I mean).

I've seen some providers ask for an etransfer/deposit in advance but with a password set and not given until meeting in person. What's the scam here? Without the password the money isn't sent. You can still cancel the transfer. This actually seems fairly safe for both parties. I'm curious what I'm missing and how this one works?

• Confused 1

They ask for the password once you arrive as a condition to get the room number.

Edited by DaveM2
  • Like 2

Scammer are getting wiser and wiser.  Has @DaveM2 said before you get the room number you need to give them the password.  The last time that I was getting scammed (which never happened) she asked that I would get half the payment with Vanilla card to prove that I was going to meet up with her.  I did get a card and sent her the picture of the card in the plastic wrapper with a picture of the 2 receipts with the date and time on it.  All was good but she said that she still didn't trust that I would go.  Two things that I did to help, set up time was good, I took a picture of the hotel that she was staying at and she still wanted the codes behind the card.  That's when I knew it was a scam.  After sending the picture of the establishment she took a pictures of the room, her legs and feet showing but I also saw work boots on the floor near the bed so I knew this was not a recent picture.

Don't get scammed.  I now offer an extra $50 if I get a room number and see the lady in front of me.  Hasn't worked yet.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DaveM2 said:

They ask for the password once you arrive as a condition to get the room number.

Ahh that makes sense. So you give the password and then they block you. Fair enough.

50 minutes ago, NotchJohnson said:

Scammer are getting wiser and wiser.  Has @DaveM2 said before you get the room number you need to give them the password.  The last time that I was getting scammed (which never happened) she asked that I would get half the payment with Vanilla card to prove that I was going to meet up with her.  I did get a card and sent her the picture of the card in the plastic wrapper with a picture of the 2 receipts with the date and time on it.  All was good but she said that she still didn't trust that I would go.  Two things that I did to help, set up time was good, I took a picture of the hotel that she was staying at and she still wanted the codes behind the card.  That's when I knew it was a scam.  After sending the picture of the establishment she took a pictures of the room, her legs and feet showing but I also saw work boots on the floor near the bed so I knew this was not a recent picture.

Don't get scammed.  I now offer an extra $50 if I get a room number and see the lady in front of me.  Hasn't worked yet.

People are creative for sure!