Ottawa-Toronto Best Driving Time?

If you're like me, I like to keep my travel simple. I just want to get where I have to get at quasi-legal speeds. So, I keep bathroom breaks to a minimum. Stops at the gas stations usually walks off with 20minutes easy. I don't drink or eat much along the way. I'm not really that impatient, I just don't want to spend my life on the road.

The more I travel the interstates in the U.S, the more I think Ontario is such a poor cousin. The 401 is such a crappy little country road. I love to complain about getting stuck behind trucks & sight see-ers. Is Ontario ever going to get a true 4-lane highway?

Anyway, I think my absolute best time was 4.5hrs to Mississauga.

Ottawa to Sarnia was 6.0hrs - man, I was flyin'. That was at a time when there wasn't that much traffic on the 401.

Guest E*******h S******s

The ex and I went from Ottawa to the DVP in just under 4 hours. We were still dating at that time and had visited his parents for the weekend. We had separate bedrooms on different floors and his mom was a very light sleeper. When we got back to Toronto, I think we were naked before we even got the key in the door....lol.

I used to do a lot of driving in the Prairies and B.C. and you could pretty well have a good idea of travel time based on your speed and the lack of traffic. 1300 km Calgary to Winnipeg, around 13 hours.

Ontario is hit and miss with the traffic. Just did Ottawa to Sauble Beach (Lake Huron), 10 hours going, 7 1/2 returning.

The Toronto to Ottawa part was only 4 hours from Airport Road and 407. Not bad for mid day.

I'm not much for speeding on the 400 highways, a steady 120 gets you there quick enough without too much attention from the fuzz.

The more I travel the interstates in the U.S, the more I think Ontario is such a poor cousin. The 401 is such a crappy little country road. I love to complain about getting stuck behind trucks & sight see-ers. Is Ontario ever going to get a true 4-lane highway?

Jabba: Have you ever driven North I95 from Miami? The drivers are nuts and oblivious to what goes on around them . The left lane hogs that just sit there at the speed limit or five under as if they own the road. All it does is force lane hopping and road rage. The highway is always packed during the day, especially weekends.

The 401 in comparison is not bad at all.

From your post; if you can make the far side of Toronto from Ottawa in 4.5 hours you have nothing to complain about.

We must be doing something right. Note the number of US plates on the highway. However, I admit there are places that need to be widened before future traffic gets too bad.

The year was 1979. We jumped in my Dad's old Chrysler Newport Custom and my friend put the pedal to the metal and we drove from St. Laurent/417 to DVP Broadview Exit in exactly 3.5 hrs.

Anyone know what "kickdown" means?

That car was like the road runner. When you wanted to pass someone, you'd press the gas pedal very quickly twice and it was like beeep beeep - gone!!!

road_runner_running-5217.gif

Ontario is hit and miss with the traffic. Just did Ottawa to Sauble Beach (Lake Huron), 10 hours going, 7 1/2 returning.

The Toronto to Ottawa part was only 4 hours from Airport Road and 407. Not bad for mid day.

Holy schnikies!!! I just finished the Sauble Beach to Ottawa run myself!!!!

Best time for that? 6.5 hours.

Now the BEST time I have ever done was Ottawa (Bay and Laurier) to Kitchener (Highway 8 exit) 4 hours, 4 minutes. Of course it was when I had the Mercedes and that particular Mercedes thought it was a Ferrari. So for the Ottawa to Mississauga (airport) leg, I would be guessing that it was just a hair over 3 hours 15 minutes.

Guest f***2f***

Well I just drove Toronto to Ottawa on Friday and it was horrible. Mega traffic and a lot of slow people in the outside lane who would not move over. Then you got the trucks passing trucks on the hills and it was retarded. Took me 5 hours.

Well speaking of speed, in my younger (and very much dumber) days, Kingston to Toronto (Eaton's Centre) in two hours...and that was going down Yonge Street off 401 to Eaton's Centre.

Then, because 401 was closed, it took 5 hours from Oshawa to downtown Toronto, that was last year

RG

Best time for me was from St.Laurent shopping center to Eaton Center 3 hours flat. I left at 2:45 on a Monday morning, played nice on the 417, not so nice on the 416, and cruised the 401 without a soul. I didn't see my first passenger car until I pulled off the DVP at just after 5:30.