Ethical shopping in Ottawa

I try and shop ethically as much as possible. I love buying products that have been fairly traded, and believe most things we consume are a luxury and a privilege. I would not want to consume anything if it is to the detriment of someone else (regardless of where they're located in our global community).

I try and buy locally as much as possible, and almost all the clothes I buy are used and/or recycled. I go to a lot of clothing swaps and some of the dresses in my photos are from local designers who recycle their fabric here in Ottawa.

What kind of things do you do to shop ethically? I'm always up for new ideas and challenges, including (as one person suggested) not buying anything at all! Buying ethically, after all, doesn't address the fact that we all mass consume ;)

Does anyone have any store suggestions for local artists, designers, clothes, soaps, etc?

Here is a very shot and non-exhaustive list of the places I love to shop at:

The Workshop and Victoire's on Dalhousie (clothing)

Eclection in the market (jewelry)

Kania on York (clothing)

Young Jane's and Ragtime (vintage clothing)

I also buy all my clothing second-hand and I have quite the extensive unique wardrobe that I'm proud of. I like to support small local businesses, especially businesses that are owned by women. Auntie Loo's is one of my favourites!

Guest tr*****e

Can anyone recommend more ethical shopping experiences in Winnipeg? I loooooove big malls, but they're so expensive, and the stuff there always seems to come from poor third-world countries where people are going to be exploited for simply wanting a job. Or else the clothing is completely unaffordable for a lowly wage-earner.