I need new shoes and I may have been sporting the old David Letterman look of black sneakers with dress pants a bit too long.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy or flash, just a pair that can be worn everyday with black dress pants or black jeans.

Any suggestions?

I'm a fan of Allen Edmonds cap-toe oxfords

81yqcQHiomL._SL1500_.jpg

They are a bit expensive at the outset, but will last forever if you take care of them and you can send them back to Allen Edmonds to get repaired.

For less fancy everyday shoes, the Clarks Unstructured line are nice

1004194.jpg

I recently bought a nice pair of black dress shoes at Moores for under $70. (with discount) Sign up for their email newsletter & they send coupons you can print & use.

If you're looking for everyday shoes that you can wear with casual pants or jeans something like this (pic. #1 below) should do. If you need something less casual go for something with a harder soul, larger heal and better quality leather (pic. #2). Oh, stay away from laces as well.

26_riagad_97_6.jpg

26_marler_97_6.jpg

What's wrong with laces?

It all comes down to a matter of preference/formality. I tend to wear laces for anything formal (ie: work) and no laces for casual.

I recommend staying away from toggles (or tassles) on loafers. Just my own preference, but I don't like the look of them at all.

I think a pair of oxfords (in my first picture) are the right combination of dressy, casual and will go anywhere you don't wear sneakers. That being said, I live and work in Halifax, which, though far from Canada's most fashionable city, is more fashionable than smaller towns. Coworkers in Cape Breton made fun of me for being too fancy by having leather soled shoes.

I really like chestnut or dark brown shoes like this,

esq-bally-derby-0210-lg.jpg

but you specified black pants, so I'd stick with black shoes.

What's wrong with laces?

Nothing wrong with 'em just they aren't as stylish or modern at the moment. Grant it tomorrow that could and probably will change. It really comes down to the look you are going for and what you want, slip ons work for me as that is the look I go for.

Clarks shoes has a line of shoes called Un-Structured that are very comfortable. They have choices from formal to casual. I like the "Un.Sheridan" http://www.clarkscanada.com/product/Detail.aspx?prodId=21324&Level1=M&scroll=0&page=1&Level2=12

and the casual "Un.Emmett" that goes very well with khakis and jeans. http://www.clarkscanada.com/product/Detail.aspx?prodId=22027&Level1=M&scroll=0&page=1&Level2=12

• Like 1