How Green Are You?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How Green Are You?

• Very much into the green thing
    • Sometimes if I get into it
    • Who cares

I have a bunch of oddball stuff to throw out I hate to just toss it.

I try to recycle as much as I can and have those shopping bags to avoid all the plastic.. How about you?

i recycle some stuff but don't go out of my way to do it all and always forget my shopping bags when i go shopping so end up bringing home my groceries in a box

I have spent the last 20 years in the environmental field, one of the reasons for my handle.

I do walk the walk, own but one vehicle, live in a 865 sq ft house, grow enough food for about 5-6 months of consumption. Do all the R's....reduce, reuse, recycle, rethink.

I am a pragmatic environmentalist and some the stuff makes no sense environmentally. The economy and political expediency drives most enviro regualtions. When the last time any one heard the word Kyoto.

Not long ago green was the new black, current polling suggest it's not a top 5 issue unless prompted and maybe not a top 10 issue.

I never preached about it and everyones circumstance is different. Do what works for you.

Peace

MG

I'm not a fan of this trendy go green nonsense.

For one, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is in order of efficiency. We're recycling everything, yet the recycling process is in many cases as damaging or more damaging than manufacturing new products.

Futhermore, recycling that bottle of water makes you feel good about being a consumer-driven drone. It's been proven time and time again that bottled water is just tap water from somewhere else. With a nice little toxic bottle.

The Earth was here a really long time before us, and it will still be here a really long time after us. Its not about saving the Earth. The Earth doesn't need saving.

Temperatures and ocean levels have been rising and falling for aeons. Check archaeological digsites of ancient ports. They're miles inland.

Back in the late 70s when the coming ice age was the trend for the masses, David Suzuki was pumping out documentaries and speaking engagements on why the ice age was coming and what we could do about it. Now he's gone full-circle and is on the global warming bandwagon.

If you want to buy "sustainable" products (a word which, by the way, has never been clearly defined in concrete terms and remains a catch-phrase to sell stuff) that's your choice. Ditto organic foods. Though organics have been proven to not only have more dangerous pesticides used on them than the synthetics used on normal crops, but there is zero evidence whatsoever that organic food is healthier for you at all. And it's not a viable means of feeding 7 billion people.

I'm not against people who are on this bandwagon, but I myself am not. We're alarmists. Always have been, always will be. Global warming now, ice age not long ago... who knows what's next. But there will be some big perceived threat to make people feel all warm and fuzzy to do their part in saving mankind. It's part of our social make-up.

I tend to agree with Linsay ... Although it's a good idea to do what needs to be done to protect the environment so it does't affect the citizens health, and although I'm certainly ok with reasonable recycling, the current concepts associated with most "green" projects are not sustainable business models. They can only exist with big government subsidies which also negatively affects the economy. Ethanol is a perfect example of that.

One area I think makes a lot of sense it to conserve energy i.e. electricity and gas. I don't use the drier, a real energy hog, air dry all my laundry. During the summer I only use the central air during the heat waves, and then have the thermostat set for 24. In winter it's at 19 degrees because I can always don a sweater. It also saves me some money.

The retailers charge of a nickel a bag I think is a bit of a crock, the profit margin being pretty high. I suspect most of them profit from their sale and don't pass on this the consumers contribution to the environmental movement.

Green all the way, I not only recycle everything possible in my home but pick up all the garbage on the street and recycle it.

No clothers drying unless its the coldest day is winter and the AC is used very little, especially this summer.

I do my best not to continually buy new and when I do its the best possible item and lasts me for a very long time.

My dresses and clothes are a problem, its hard to buy what I like second hand. :icon_biggrin:

Drive an SUV, use plastic bags for everything, and it still looks like there's lots of landfill space around if you ask me.

I wish I had hoarded some lawn chemicals before they were all banned. I would't call myself green, and neither is my lawn.