Meters for SPs?

Sheeesh ... all sorts of dumb ideas, all at once.

The only thing missing are free condom dispensers in the garage stalls.

This is, of course, the downside to the government getting involved in... well, anything.

Although at least the German government seems rather more clued in on the inevitability of the oldest profession than some other governments I could mention...

Guest W***ledi*Time

I'd guess that, all else being equal, some streetwalkers might actually be happy to have the opportunity to pay a $9 nightly fee for the right to legally ply their trade in a patrolled, designated safe area.

(Compare this German option to some other places we know - where streetwalkers, because of being criminalized if caught plying their trade, tend to gravitate into less-safe remote areas away from police attention, and, ultimately, wind up being buried in little bits on pig farms.)

Guest Ou**or**n

As WIT wisely points out this seems like a reasonable deal. The legalization would allow them to work out in the open and police would likely have a reasonable presence making things safer. The fee seems quite fair.

If they implemented this in Vancouver, it might mean that the police would actually pay attention to the SWs. After all, the women work near the major drug centre at Main and Hastings which is only a couple of blocks away from the police station in the Downtown Eastside.

I really don't think this is such a bad idea. While I'm not a fan of segregating the sex workers into certain areas (this just says that sex workers are not part of the community and exaggerates the notion that we are problems for communities), I think the idea of having safe places to go with clients is much better than driving to some deserted area.

• Like 1

I really don't think this is such a bad idea. While I'm not a fan of segregating the sex workers into certain areas (this just says that sex workers are not part of the community and exaggerates the notion that we are problems for communities), I think the idea of having safe places to go with clients is much better than driving to some deserted area.

I agree. The "ticket" seems comparable to paying for transit, to me, like a day pass. And they aren't penalized by having to pay a all encompassed monthly fee, just per evening. Safe place to go to means its safe. I wouldn't rule out the free condom dispenser in this area, I imagine there are washroom facilities there for the obvious reason.

While I can see your point about segregating into particular areas, I would also have to say from a business perspective, it makes sense to congregate into one or two particular areas. Then the clients know to go to these particular areas, rather than picking some random spot where you don't know for sure there will be any traffic (for the sp) and any sps (for the client perspective.

There seems to be a desire to keep regulation and governmental/city controls away from this business, but if it is fully legal, like any other work or business, of course that comes with regulations and policies. Just as hot dog stands and gift shops can't open up whereever and whenever they please, there is still room for running your own business within such regulations.

Guest Ou**or**n
Next they'll be offering a doggie style collar and license tag and then proof of shots! bwha ha ha

In the Philippines, sex workers in bars (called guest relations officers given prostitution is illegal), wear id cards proving their age. Having these cards also requires a regime of regular STD and HIV testing.

http://www.insomniagroup.com/category/3-insomnia-2005.html