Ten years ago I was still in the corporate world. That morning I was interrupted by a phone call telling me to go to CNN.com. No other information. Just go.

I went.

I watched in horror as those events played out.

When I could take no more, I sat and wept on the entrance steps.

Some coworkers came and asked me what was wrong. They'd been on a sales call and had not heard the news.

"They're killing my people." That was all I could say.

I am American. Should you want to, I can discuss politics and policies all day long about that day or anything else. But the root event of that day?

I still weep when I go there. Like now.

One thing cheers me about that day. I feel immense gratitude and pride in my adopted country for the actions Canada and Canadians took that day in receiving the thousands of airline passengers and treating them well.

Yin and yang.

• Like 4

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, too, that morning.

I was in Toronto in the house that my then-husband and I owned. We were separated but both still living there in an attempt to be civilized for the children's sake.

I had a meeting downtown. I was in the bathroom, doing my hair and makeup. The radio was on. I heard the CBC announcer say that there had been an unconfirmed report of a plane crashing into the WTC. I thought it must have been an accident. I kept on moving around the place, finding clothes, checking that I had my daybook, my notebook and a pen for my meeting. It was a beautiful, bright, sunny day. When I heard that a second plane had crashed into the WTC, I was stunned.

I didn't turn on the TV. I called my husband at his office-it was kind of an automatic, reflex action. He was very curt and cold, but I told him what they were saying on the radio. He hung up on me.

I drove downtown. The person I was meeting with suggested we go to a local bar. We sat there for a couple of hours, watching the towers fall on the television, over and over again. It was surreal. By the time I left, they were urging people to stay away from the lakeshore because they were closing down the CNTower.

When my kids came in from school that afternoon, the youngest was very upset, worried that someone would bomb the CNTower, or the Peace Tower and Parliament in Ottawa. He'd heard that people had jumped out of the towers and that frightened him. We sat in the rocking chair for a couple of hours while I read stories and sang songs to him.

A lot of things were falling apart in my life at the time. I wanted to keep my children close to me, to make our home feel like a safe, warm, nurturing place even though it wasn't. I don't think I tried to process what had happened until late that evening, after the house was still and quiet for the night.

I remeber exactly where I was. It was brought to my attention that a plane had hit the tower turned to the news station and we listened all day.

Was not until I got home and actually seen the footage how disturbing it actually was. To all those who passed in the tragedy may they R.I.P.

And my thanks goes out to Firefighters,Paramedics,and Police Officers everywhere.

T.T.

I was in my car and had just arrived at my and the news reported a small plane had hit one of the World Trade Centre Towers. By the time I got to my office and turned on the TV, all hell had broken loose. My office faced north toward the airport and all of a sudden many many planes most with logos and markings that were unfamiliar to me were landing one after another.

In 1980's I had eaten in Windows on the World and knew the area pretty well. I was to fly to TO on 9/13 and obviously the threat was over and I wasn't affraid to fly. But we saw all the people stranded in airports and felt weird about showing up for some fun, so we gave up our rooms so others could use them and Air Canada refunded our tickets.

In other bit of trivia I had flown to TO mid-August and was invited to join the pilots for the arrival. Very cool and I was likely one of the last to ever get to do it.

Travel has never been the same :(. Once again the minority has spoiled it for the rest of us.

Peace

MG

I was in a line up of vehicles waiting to get into work, heard the breaking news on the radio, there was a PSAC strike on at the time...pickets quickly lifted and into work we went

What affected me personally, well I have two family members who live in the United States. One was supposed to go to the WTC that day for a meeting, but thank god, meeting was cancelled...she didn't go. Another family member is in the U.S. Military working at the Pentagon at the time. Again, fortunately he was in a different area, and thank god, not killed

And a co-worker, his daughter was in NYC at the time of the attack. He tried to reach her but it was a couple of days (couple days in hell) before he finally talked to her...a couple days where he wondered if his daughter was dead or alive.

What fills my heart positively, all the first responders (police, fire, paramedics) that risked their lives to save others. And Canada, the quiet, good neighbour to the north, letting all in-bound flights in, and Canadians opening their door to stranded travellers when the U.S closed it's airspace.

What do I dislike the most, the underlying hatred I had and have of terrorists

Don't feel that way about other anti-social (for lack of a better word) people, but when a terrorist got killed, it makes me happy...and I don't like that about myself. Don't know if that makes sense

Some thoughts

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy

Guest **cely***r***ne

I had just come home from a doctors appointment, and my Dad was watching the news. I thought at first it was a movie. But to my horror it was live and really happening. I had just missed the first plane on the first tower, but not the second.

I screamed in horror as the second plane crashed into the tower. My only thoughts were for those of the people on the plane and the people in the buildings, and their families. Then the ones jumping out of the windows....

I am still haunted by this as I am sure everyone is. How can we not be? I will never forget that day even many years later.

I watched a documentary the other night about this, and what upset me was the way it was handled it. It was unorganized IMO. In my brain, you would think as soon as she said "I think we're being hi jacked" that the military would have been contacted right away, not much time later..

it is a controversial topic, and I wont get too much into it, but it is so sad to think it might have been dealt with a different way...am I wrong? And if I am, maybe you can help me understand more....

I was in High School,

It was the first time I had ever seen the television in the student lounge tuned to CNN. It was surreal to look around and see everybody's varied reactions, that's what I remember most. Teachers mouth's agape with horror. Young, callous idiots trying to pretend they weren't affected. Other young people looking confused, and frightened, especially by the reactions of the adults in the room. It certainly was a metaphorical two by four to my enclosed little teenage world.

It was also one of the first times I pulled my head out of the sand and really paid attention to the news and world events. I think I need a nice smoke and a cold beer...

I'm a very visual person. I always think in terms of images, colours, contrasts, light, shadow, movement. Words take a long time to come to me. I've been looking at Life Magazine ever since I was a toddler. You know, back in the day when people actually subscribed to printed things that were delivered to their homes? Anyway, Life has been part of my life forever.

I think their photo essay, The 25 Most Powerful Photos, is worth spending some time with. Not gruesome. The caption descriptions are lyrically written and the whole thing is full of hope.

As with most of us I recall vividly where I was and what I was doing when I was informed of what was happening in New York.

Some of the other related images in my mind are peripheral but as clear as can be.

For many years I have had a large bonfire with corn and mussels and living where I do, a clear sky provides incredible star gazing opportunities as well as the constant and steady flow of air traffic overhead since we are on the main flightpath for trans-Atlantic commercial aviation. The total lack of aircraft in the skies on the night of our bonfire sent us a reality message of the impact that the event had on the world.

A second recollection is one where I felt so proud as a Canadian and especially as an Atlantic Canadian with the welcome and reception to the thousands of air passengers who were stranded in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. People such as you and I took total strangers into their homes for extended periods of time with open arms, and I know of at least one couple who has made lifelong friends due to that experience.

Out of tragedy perhaps come small blessings and positives.

I was at work, when a fellow employee called me over too watch on the internet what was happening. I remember watching in bewilderment the events, the replay of the first plane and then the live footage of the second plane crashing into the World Trade Centers. The other people in the office watched in horror, with the saddened faces, saying the "oh my gods", "this is bizarre", the WTFs ... I worked for an American company at the time and it was not long that we had the flag at half mast to show our respect for all of the fallen people.

It was an unbelievable event, that I wondered how could a group of terrorists be so ruthless to do such a despicable

act against humanity.

My heart goes out to each and every one that had family or friends, that were killed, during this horrific event.

I was off work that day and home watching TV and they switched it over to the news to the visual of the first plane flying into the tower and you could hear the panic in the newscaster's voice.

I thought for a minute it was some kind of joke or cut-away to a comedy skit, but when I realized it was real, I yelled for the other person who was at my place that day and then called my friend at work to tell her to get the TV on in the boardroom. Then when the second plane hit, we knew something was seriously wrong!!

I don't think anyone at the office got much work done that day.

Everyone was glued to the TV.

Edited by Mature Angela

Oh boy....this day again!

I was on leave with my wife, we were in St Ives, England surfing for two weeks. I had just returned from my second tour of Kosovo only a few weeks before.

My wife had decided to go shopping, rather than join me after lunch for some mid afternoon surfing...remember there is a five hour time difference between here and England.

I was having a grand old time, the surf was spectacular, it was sunny and warm. I had come off a bit of a wipe out, and was getting ready to turn around and paddle back out to catch another wave, when I could see my wife on the beach frantically waving her arms.

I thought to myself, how badly does she want to get a pint...it was mid-afternoon after all! As I got closer to shore, I knew something was seriously wrong. My wife was never the type to panic or freak out over anything, and she had look of terror on her face. She ran out in to the water a few feet to meet me, grabbed me and all she said was " something terrible is happening!". She started to run to the little pub by the beach, I was hopping trying to get my shoes on! By the time I got to the pub, both towers were on fire by this point. I could scarcely believe what I was seeing. We'd been in those towers just a year before on a trip to New York, my Father is an architect and he had taught me to appreciate what a building can mean to a city.

Both my wife and I knew this was not an accident, it was all too obvious as to what was happening. As the first tower started to fall, she grabbed me and put her arms around me tighter than she ever had before, she was crying...then she looked up at me and said, "I'll miss you". Her instincts were telling her that we were going to war again...she knew I'd be one of the first to go.

My heart goes out to all those who were taken from their loved ones that day. It also goes out to the families who lost their loved ones in the aftermath of 9/11. In Afganistan to date 2,627 Coalition forces have been killed and over 16,000 wounded. 380 killed in Afganistan were from the UK...so many were my friends. This is on top of the 2,977 killed on 9/11 alone and more than 6,000 injured. What a terrible loss of life, what a waste of life.

My ex-wife called me this morning just to talk about it, she knew everything we both lost because of 9/11, including each other. I told her, 10 years on and I hope everyone can now put this day to rest, it's time now to move on.

• Like 6

I heard the news from Howard Stern of all people. I was driving on the 417 and the driver was listening to Stern. He reported it live, from his window. It was the first and only time have heard him serious. He was quite good, actually. I switched to the CBC and it took them 30 minutes to get on the story.

I'll never forget it, and even then I had no idea how transformative that day would be. Very little is the same now.

Such a horrible moment for humanity.

I was working at home that morning. A morning that started off with beautiful sunshine and uneventfull in Moncton with the TV on in the background.

From the time the first announcement of the first plane hitting, to the sound of the large jetliners overhead making forced landings in Moncton, to being glued to the TV for the next number of days-all of which seemed surreal- and to the current day remembrance ceremonies, I will forever remember where and what I was doing during those events.

Condolences to those who have lost their lives in New York and around the world since that time as a result of 9-11 and many thanks to those who have also committed so much to others since that time to avoid such an infamous day again.

Everyone should also realize what the Afgans have suffered through. In the last 10 years in the war against terror, the estimates are anywhere from 14,000 to 34,000 civilians in that country have lost their lives!!! I know it is such a broad number, but for those of us who have been over there, it is very understandable as how it is so hard to come up with an exact number. I would tend to think sadly it would be closer to 34,000.

Guest s**nflute

I was on the Greek island of Crete, we turned on the TV coming back from the beach. I thought for sure we were watching a movie, but no it was VERY real. I started to think of what those passengers were going thru knowing that they were going to die.

We were standed on the island for a few days when all air travel was halted, that was the a good thing, we could have been stuck in an airport or in Gander. I was so sure we were going to have another world war. When we did fly out of Crete going to Athens, everyone's luggage was on the tarmack, each passenger had to indentify their luggage before boarding the plane. It was so creepy seeing soldiers with guns. When I go to New York and pass where the twin towers were, I always do a sign of the cross with a prayer.

Two musical takes on September 11.

Alan Jackson's Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning

http://youtu.be/fvj6zdWLUuk

Toby Keith's Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue (The Angry American)

Jackson's song is from the heart. Keith's is from the gut. I remember hearing "Where were you..." on Country Radio a lot here in Canada. I do not remember hearing "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" much here if at all. Maybe they don't like the word "ass" in songs sung by middle-aged white guys.

There are hundreds of tribute videos on You Tube that use Jackson's song. This link is to a video that is just Jackson singing. Keith's song was more controversial. Peter Jennings refused to allow it in a 2002 ABC 4th of July special.

To me, the two songs do well to convey the event.

I was married and living in Portland, Oregon in 9/11. We slept on a futon in the living room, and I remember the phone ringing really early in the morning. I was barely awake listening to my wife answer it, but immediately understood that something was wrong. Her voice was breaking and she was scrambling to turn the TV on. I asked what was wrong, and as the TV came to life she just answered "we're at war."

The images on the screen were confusing, and she wasn't talking. I saw buildings on fire, smoke, and local news scrolling along the bottom of the screen. I had no idea this was New York. I though it could even have been Portland, of all ridiculousness.

It was bright and sunny out, and I looked out the patio door.

It took a few minutes to work the details out, but I'll always remember those tense, panicky, confused minutes when a tragedy half a country away felt like it was right on my doorstep. For just a few minutes I felt a little bit of how terrible it must have been for those New Yorkers watching from the sidewalks.

I was working downtown and didn't have access to a television until later that evening (and my only computer was too weak other than to let me view websites and chat rooms). I watched as U.S. marines began patrolling downtown streets and the scramble to close the Afghan Embassy. And a few hours later it was a ghost town. in the days that followed, a few faces became familiar, American travellers stranded and away from their families. A few days later when the government announced an official day of mourning and the lawn of Parliament Hill filled with Canadians offering their condalences and the crowd broke out into the Star Spangled Banner, I had a retired couple come in to escpae the heat. They had been touring Canada in their motorhome and stopped in ottawa that afternoon. The wife broke down into tears and thanked me as a Canadian for everything. I was speechless. I was never prouder of being a Canadian than in that moment while being heartbroken for this woman and her husband at the same time.

9/11 is the most defining moment in our generation. It has launched two wars both still being fought to this day (three if you count the War on Terror). It has changed virtually every facet of our daily lives for better or worse, from travel to freedom of speech and religion. It reminded us what true heroism and compassion and bravery were, as well as how fragile our lives are and what genuine evil still runs rampant in the world. It also taught us how connected our lives are to a world of stangers we will never meet. I hope everyone took today as an opportunity to offer a prayer to Whoever you worship for the lives lost that day, as well as those lost in the bloody days that were a result, whether they be a firefighter or police officer, a soldier or an aid worker or a civilian whose name you couldn't pronounce in a land we'll only ever see on the news caught in the unimagineable violence. And here's praying that through it all, we may have learned something.