What do you believe?

I believe that guinness cures all aches, I believe in waking up someone with bacon and coffee, I believe in me, I believe in the three fold rule, I believe in reading my cards daily, I believe in high

doses of caffeine, I believe in lazy days in bed with a book, I believe in sandwiches made with 2 grill cheese as the bread, and I believe that we all have the potential to change and shape the world to be what we want it to be

Posted via Mobile Device

I also believe that rancid and lady gaga songs hold special meaning to me and I can relate to them all!

Guest E*******h S******s

I believe that a baby's belly laugh can take away any sadness, even if for only a moment.

I believe that a sincere compliment will brighten somebody's day.

I believe that one should make the offer to help rather than waiting to be asked and that by doing so you help preserve the other person's dignity.

I believe that it is better to have a small handful of true friends than it is to have 300 acquaintances.

I believe that what you put out into the universe is what comes back to you, whether it is kindness and good will or vindictiveness and malice.

And I too believe in the healing powers of ice cream (and chocolate!).

I believe in being kind, sweet and honest. I believe not everyone is a bad person. I believe that doing at least one good deed a day is great Karma. I believe I am a part of an amazing community here. I believe in not judging people.

I believe in all the wonderful people who have shared what they believe in in this thread.

I believe in just looking out my kitchen window, and seeing seven white tailed deer playing, scampering, and eating apples under the apple tree in my backyard. (I never grow tired of that...)

I believe in thinking about my parents, (one gone from this world already), and how the roles are reversing. (from them taking care of me, to me taking care of them).

I believe I've written about this before. ;)

.........................................................................................

Pooner Diaries: Belief

(originally posted 9-21-2008 )

There are certain things I believe in.

I believe in things of beauty. I believe in the sun setting through cirrus clouds at the end of a long day, casting long shadows amongst flashes of red, orange, and pink. I believe in the fine blonde hairs on the small of my lady's back as she stretches, naked, in the afternoon sun. I enjoy the alien beauty of a perfect white orchid, perched on its long and spindly stem.

I believe in the real and enduring. I believe in the camaraderie of my good friends, any of whom would give me the shirt off of their backs. I believe in the sweat on my brow after a hard day working outside, the good ache in my shoulders and back after finishing a job. I savor seeing the fruits of my labour stretch out before me, the concrete and steel coming together to form structures that will endure if not the ages, at least the test of time.

I believe in the simple. I believe in plain, forthright speaking. In saying what I mean, meaning what I say and expecting the same from others. Well written and clear instructions. My old Triumph motorcycle. The one which I can and have fixed with a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench and a prayer to the gods of Lucas. The coolness and clean satisfying taste of a cold beer after a long hot hard day.

But most of all, I believe in the few things that are all three. I believe in my much beloved old bike, a thing of beauty in chrome and black. I believe in my pretty girlfriend, her faith and affection as solid and enduring as any brick or stone. She has an inner beauty to match her outer beauty. She's smart, she's funny. She's a woman of plain speaking, of simple tastes. Of simple cotton clothes, of her brilliant easy smile and large grey eyes. The light makeup, the sensible shoes she wears as she climbs on the back of my bike for a ride through the countryside and a hearty picnic. I believe in the way we think as one, the way we complete each other's sentences.

These are the values that I hold dear. The values which I hold self-evident. These are the compass directions with which I steer through life. And knowing that, is why my hobby puzzles me. For you see, this hobby seems to carry few of these values.

I've seen incredible outer beauty and grace. But so many times it's been only skin deep, a thin veneer over inner unsightliness and turmoil. I remember that pretty face that was forever on the edge of breaking into a contemptuous sneer. Another face, large liquid brown eyes with long lashes, thinly covering the deep vacuousness of the space behind them. Still another, full lips with a pleasant smile, distracting me from the words spoken from a dark heart.

This hobby is a fantasy. A full-on, technicolor fantasy. As luscious, appealing, and as satisfying as the plastic sushi in the window of my favorite restaurant. I've played the GFE game again and again. It is a fiction spun from her imagination and my wishful thinking, as temporary and transitory as the flash of pleasure at the end of our time. I've somehow grown used to the idea of shallow companionship by the hour, meant to be used up and forgotten. I remember the narrow and constrained 'friendships' that I have so often developed, and only realized in those one hour chunks of time.

On the face of it, it seems so simple. Just a simple exchange of cash for services. But there is a proscribed etiquette, a secrecy born of the need for discretion. The off-bounds topics of conversation, often making anything but light conversation difficult. So simple.. yet so complicated.

My hobby is a rickety construct in the shadows, a straw house of twigs and branches. A movie set, beautiful on the side you can see, rough and temporary on the side you don't. Insubstantial to a man used to rock, stone, and steel. Waiting for a strong breeze of reality to topple it to the ground. Wondering if it will knock over that which is dear to me.

Still, I know why I do this. I know that it fills a need. A need that I'm not having satisfied elsewhere. And I mostly choose not to think about the contradictions between this hobby and the rest of my life. But this is what I choose to do, of my own free will. And I do believe that some day, perhaps soon, I will stop. I will move on from this life.

At least that is what I choose to believe.

Indeed, this hobby carries few of these values for you.

The way you believe in the real and enduring best describes your work as well as your relationships. This on its own speaks for itself.

In your plain forthright speaking you are simple in what it is you want and have. Your bike, your pretty girlfriend with the faith and the way you complete each other's sentences.

Dont take what it is that is in front of you for granted. All these endearing moments and accomplishments should always be cherished.

These are the values that which have steered you through your life so far. You know your beliefs, your goals and what you have undergone to achieve what you have. These are the things built up within you that have brought you to where you are now. Hold them dearly, and dont let them go.

Outer beauty is not hard to find. As you say, "It's been only skin deep, a thin veneer over inner unsightliness and turmoil."

The hobby is definately a fantasy for many people, an escape from reality they want to fufill with the lady they choose.

The girlfriend experience game is a flash of pleasure that is temporarily based on the companionship for the hour or hours measured in dollars.

It may not be a fiction spun from her imagination, it is just based on how the two of you met. The way you met her is temporary and transitory which infact is the flash of pleasure until the end of our time.

The narrow and constrained 'friendships' obviously mean something to you since you can reflect on them so deeply from the one hour chunk of time.

Being caught up in between a fantasy and reality seems to be very difficult for you. In the midst of this, you are trying to say what your beliefs really are.

It is a simple concept that must be followed. It can definately be complicated but it must stay that way to protect privacy as well as discretion.

Although you say it is so difficult to stay away from the off bounds topics of conversation, what else is it that you really expect?

Be careful not to want to have or find out more than you can handle unless you really believe that you will and can move on from this life as a pooner.

Dont let the hobby knock down what you treasure.

Edited by Liana