Yes, he's talented, but... far too pretty for his own good. Sorry, but you just *can't* claim any sort of rock'n'roll credibility if you look like you've just walked out of a shampoo advertisement.

+1 on David Gilmour - the guy has a knack for pulling a perfect solo out of nowhere.

And I can't believe nobody's mentioned Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King yet.

Don't forget he was a member of Mr. Big for a long time...god I hate that ballad!

@ Phaedrus:

I have to agree with you in regards to the issue with the dudes from Extreme, way too pretty! Plus who can forget the rather unfortunate Gary Cherone incarnation of Van Halen. But still, the guy's guitar playing on the song I posted is very talented and very much in the neo-classical shred category. Plus it's just fun to watch a bunch of historical figures run amok in a mall to that tune in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!

Now on to Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman,

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Slayer, But I wouldn't consider either of them guitar gods. Unfortunately, they are very sloppy live (i've seen them multiple times). Yes, they have written some of the greatest metal riffs of all time, but overall they are hit or miss, and the hits tend to sound same-ey (yup, total made up word there). And sorry, but both of them couldn't pull off a proper solo if the future of mankind depended on it. That being said though, I recently saw them live yet again, and Gary Holt from Exodus was filling in for Jeff Hanneman, and holy christ! He added a whole different dimension and presence to Slayer's live show! No offense to Kerry, but it looked to me like he

realized that he had to step up his game so he wouldn't look lesser than the hired gun on the other guitar!

@ Steve Curious:

I didn't forget Mr. Big,

I just chose to omit them due to the fact that this thread is about things that are good ;)

Sorry for the novel everyone! Apparently discussions about music just bring out a very opinionated and VERY verbose side of me

@ Steve Curious:

I didn't forget Mr. Big,

I just chose to omit them due to the fact that this thread is about things that are good ;)

Ha ha. Too true! As I said...god I hate that ballad.

Ha ha. Too true! As I said...god I hate that ballad.

I think the only people who like that ballad are some housewives who are in their mid 30's to early 40's and the people who collect the royalties generated by it!

I think the only people who like that ballad are some housewives who are in their mid 30's to early 40's and the people who collect the royalties generated by it!

Yes and lets not forget my girlfriend at the time that damn song came out. Not sure what annoyed me more back then, the song or her? Come to think of it I am still not sure???

Yes and lets not forget my girlfriend at the time that damn song came out. Not sure what annoyed me more back then, the song or her? Come to think of it I am still not sure???

Unfortunately, quite a few people associate music with people or moments in their life and vice versa. Be it positive, or negative.

Just be glad you associate your ex with a song you don't much like to begin with!

Because of my goofy friggin' brain and a lady who used to be in my life I had trouble listening to Megadeth's song Hangar 18 for almost a year! And I love that song!!!

Plus who can forget the rather unfortunate Gary Cherone incarnation of Van Halen.

Actually... I *had* managed to forget that, damn you :)

Now on to Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman,

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Slayer, But I wouldn't consider either of them guitar gods. Unfortunately, they are very sloppy live (i've seen them multiple times). Yes, they have written some of the greatest metal riffs of all time, but overall they are hit or miss, and the hits tend to sound same-ey (yup, total made up word there). And sorry, but both of them couldn't pull off a proper solo if the future of mankind depended on it. That being said though, I recently saw them live yet again, and Gary Holt from Exodus was filling in for Jeff Hanneman, and holy christ! He added a whole different dimension and presence to Slayer's live show! No offense to Kerry, but it looked to me like he realized that he had to step up his game so he wouldn't look lesser than the hired gun on the other guitar!

Well, I've never managed to catch them live what with one thing and another (yes, I know...) so I'm judging them purely on the basis of their recorded stuff which is doubtless greatly cleaned up. Interesting to hear the other side of it though.

I have to say, though, that I've never been very impressed with Dave Mustaine - although this may be because I never thought all that much of Megadeth, either.

Sorry for the novel everyone! Apparently discussions about music just bring out a very opinionated and VERY verbose side of me

Oh my God! CERB thread begets interesting discussion!

Please, continue... :)

Guest ***nsut***jr
Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits.

Great range of musical styles.

Of course and a real stylist

Mick Taylor was already mentioned but I'll add this cause it's an all time favorite

Robbie Krieger of The Doors

Lindsey Buckingham - Fleetwood Mac

Not sure if Buddy Guy was mentioned

Robert Cray had a cool sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyoi8CWXNk8

Vince Gill

And anyone who plays a Rickenbacker...