Turning Grudges into forgiveness...

I found some quotes that may apply to many of us. I am motivated by my own need for forgiveness and getting rid of negative energy around me. Perhaps you have some quotes to help heal wounds of actions and words that were designed to hurt us?

This quote is from Norman Vincent Peale

" Resentment or grudges do no harm to the person against whom you hold these feelings, but everyday and every night of your life, they are eating you alive."

What is Forgiveness?

Generally it is a decision of letting go of resentments and thoughts of revenge. the act that hurt you or offended you, may always remain as a part of your life but forgiveness can lessen the grip on you and help you focus on other, positive parts of your life. Forgiveness can even lead to understanding, empathy, and compassion toward the one who hurt you.

Forgiveness does not mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. You can forgive the person without excusing the act. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that let's you go on with your life.

I hope these words of wisdom will help all or any of us that sometimes get wrapped up in these feelings, and realize life is just too short to spend energy on what is just perpetuating negative energy. If we spend our energy on what has happened in the past, we will miss the great opportunity that our lives have to offer right here, right now!

LOVE TO ALL, WISH PEACE AND HAPPINESS TO ALL!

• Like 7

Guest Hoot *****

When someone has hurt us physically or emotionally we remain victims until such time we are able to set it aside so it no longer impacts negatively upon our well-being. I don't necessarily call it "forgiveness" however, but rather recognizing I need to let it go in order to be at peace with myself as this person is not worthy my thoughts. I have found that once the anger is gone my "inner peace" settles in. Just my experience though.

When someone has hurt us physically or emotionally we remain victims until such time we are able to set it aside so it no longer impacts negatively upon our well-being. I don't necessarily call it "forgiveness" however, but rather recognizing I need to let it go in order to be at peace with myself as this person is not worthy my thoughts. I have found that once the anger is gone my "inner peace" settles in. Just my experience though.

Whatever word is chosen to describe " inner peace" , it can invite so much more greater results rather then the suffocating feeling of turmoil we get from hanging on to the past.

Guest Hoot *****
Whatever word is chosen to describe " inner peace" , it can invite so much more greater results rather then the suffocating feeling of turmoil we get from hanging on to the past.

Agreed...as hanging onto the past inhibits freedom and inner peace and as you mention lends itself to the suffocating feeling of turmoil which is often worse than the act itself.

"Live in the moment"

Accept what is past, acknowledge its lessons, but dwell in the present, for the future never comes.

CB

• Like 1

A few more thoughts come up when looking at this nice thread idea.

Only the brave know how to forgive; it is the most refined and generous pitch of virtue human nature can arrive at.

Forgive thyself little, and others much.

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much

Women will forgive anything. Otherwise, the race would have died out long ago

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

Thanks for sharing the thread idea.

• Like 2

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

Thanks G11, sorry not sure how to quote just this line...heheh.

But so true, it is hard at first to practice forgiveness. But actually get's easier with time. Like anything, it takes practice!

What about "time heals all wounds?" Does it? I always thought so, but when it comes to holding grudges, time seems to stand still. Your not able to move forward.

I learned many years ago carrying grudges does nothing good for you. It just drags you down. Sometimes dragging you as low, if not lower than the person who wronged you. The person you hold a grudge against may not even know your holding a grudge against them. And you are dragged down by negative emotions, which do you more harm than anyone else

Don't know if that helps

Coming from a guy who prefers to see the glass as half full, not half empty, and prefers to move forward, not dwell in the past, near past or distant past

RG

What about "time heals all wounds?" Does it? I always thought so, but when it comes to holding grudges, time seems to stand still. Your not able to move forward.

That's a very good point! People with grudges are forever stuck in the past, recycling the slights of often decades ago. Maybe they feel they have so little else that it becomes an anchor or defining feature for them?

I bore a grudge for a while from professional issues which are now nearly 20 years old. The upside was time did make it fade for me, but it did so because the new path I chose in response was SO much better than the old rut I had been stuck in. Without that fight I have no idea where I would be now and doing what!

The downside was that i fumed and raged at the episode and wasted time and effort so doing.

I can see this with hindsight, but it was not so clear at the time.

CB

Sorry all but I'm gonna have to go ahead and be my usual crude, perverted self. There is one HUGE plus side to forgiveness that no one has mentioned yet..............make-up sex :D

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest Hoot *****

Depends upon who screwed you over. If it was my best fishing buddy, I'd definitely pass on the make up sex!! LOL

Sorry all but I'm gonna have to go ahead and be my usual crude, perverted self. There is one HUGE plus side to forgiveness that no one has mentioned yet..............make-up sex :D

Posted via Mobile Device

Depends upon who screwed you over. If it was my best fishing buddy, I'd definitely pass on the make up sex!! LOL

Ah, but he might give you some good fishing tackle

RG :-)

What is anger?

Recognize the dark face.

Grrrrrrr! -

I have no room for forgiveness.

You are my prey.

I am a mound of irreparable seething irritation wrapped in hurt and distrust.

My wrath moulds me into who I am.

Makes me strong, iron, rigid, stern, unapproachable.

Possesser of bitter retribution.

I hold it dearly to my heart. Closely. I must protect it. It pushes me to thrust people into my bin of usable victims.

Trust no one and be suspicious of anyone generous enough to cast a smile. They ultimately shall betray you. Do them before they do you.

Star Trek Wrath of khan: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Mein Kampf: Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live. Mankind has grown strong in eternal struggle, and only in eternal peace does it perish.

Patrick Henry: Give me liberty or give me death.

Charles Manson: I'm nobody. I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo. I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

• Like 1

Forgiveness would be nice, but it seems it would be nicer if there were no one to forgive , no one to hurt us, lie to us and take from us..crush us or abuse our good nature.

I'm not a Saint any longer. Hurt has hurt me. Hurt has taken from me and hurt has changed me. I have no special powers to forgive and absolve my trespassers.

Forgiveness to me is self-serving, something that during my short lived Saint hood I was avoiding when I was hurt.

To this I forgive thee. Forgive you to make me feel better, forgive you to forget.

Don't be fooled for I will never forget, forgiving is my way of freeing up your waste of space.

If only they could forgive themselves and change their own lives..This would be a much better use for forgiveness.

Additional Comments:

P.S

I'm so thrilled to be sharing this forum with a big heart like yours. I pray that your love and dreams will spread and touch us all.

• Like 1

Guest Lep*******1**7

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. (Confucius)

Additional Comments:

It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. William Blake

Forgive your enemies, but do not forget their names. JF Kennedy

Genuine forgiveness does not deny anger, but faces it head on.

Alice Duer Miller

Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Mahandas Gandhi

Forgiveness means letting go of the past. Gerald Jampolski

Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom. Hannah Arendt

Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. Suzanne Somers

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness. Josh Billings

Without forgiveness there is not future. Desmond Tutu

Once we have forgiven, we must not reheat the same sins in the morning.

(paraphrased from Marlene Dietrich -- Once a woman has forgiven a man, she must not rehesat his sins for breakfast.)