This Day in History - "Da Da Kanada"

Guest W***ledi*Time

... it is a fantastic memory ... that is, what I can actually remember ... was my first term at university, sitting in a very crowded residence common room, watching a rented TV from Granada (remember them?), drinking beer (too much) and eating pizza ... YEY!!!

and, it was very nice that it was a MAPLE LEAF player that sealed the victory

Like a lot of schoolkids, I was sitting in a gymnasium filled with every student and staff member watching a 26 inch black and white tv about 30 feet away.

I do believe that at that precise moment when Paul Henderson scored that goal, Canada and Canadians developed a national identity.

I have yet to meet a Canadian who was old enough to remember the game that can't remember where they were, what they saw and how they felt.

Paul Henderson's goal was like a national simultaneous orgasm.

I know exactly where I was, and when the goal was scored, our classroom went nuts! In fact each game that was played in Russia, our school had each game on the TV's when it was during class time.

It certainly brought our Nation to the top and another one to their knees finally.If you recall and might of read of some of the horrible living conditions our players had to put up with,they certainly showed remarkable persistence throughout the games.

As this series ended, (Summit Series) it led to future Canada Cups (remember those?) also led to the expansion of World Juniors and pro's in the Olympics, and of course European and Russian players playing in the NHL.

It would and has been said it was the "goal of the century" !!

I have yet to meet a Canadian who was old enough to remember the game that can't remember where they were, what they saw and how they felt.

I would have been nine years old. Other than this thread, I have no knowledge of this event or what significance it has. *shrug*

We haven't met in person, so I guess technically you can still use that sentence. But now you know... we're out here. ;)

Not to digress, but I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the US beat the Soviets in Lake Placid. I suspect it's a similar feeling.

Not to digress, but I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the US beat the Soviets in Lake Placid. I suspect it's a similar feeling.

Except it was shown in the evening on ABC via tape delay so very few Americans got to see it live. The US-USSR game was shown live in Canada on CTV.

I recall it so clearly but with a long lingering disappointment that I was one of the few Canadians that did not get to see it. I was at football practice. :(

I had the best of all worlds, watched the game during high school class (ergo no class work) and made out with my GF during the first intermission back in the woods - talk about the ultimate teenagers day....that was it!