This is madness....

Guest S***dst***

No persian, this...is..SPARRTAAAAAA!!!!!

I had to do it for post 300

HEHE

As you were :P

Interesting the way Hollywood makes movies these days to make money by re-writing the history and inventing a story of something that has never happened in the history of mankind or a total exaggeration of what may have happened. Or was it politically motivated lol. As Reagan said a good Russian historian is the one who predicts the past lol. Same is true for Hollywood, a good Hollywood filmmaker is the one who can make a movie which even slightly resembles the truth lol!!!!. The 300 fictional movie is as true as the vampire or Zombie movies that Hollywood is making these days lol or how Americans defeated Germany in WWII or a few white cowboys coming out victorious over hundreds of American natives killing them all (I don't recall seeing made in Hollywood movies about Vietnam War lol!!!!).

The following is by William J. Broad, (NY Times)

The story is easy to buy into: 300 brave Spartans saved Western democracy from 2.7 million evil Persians. But aside from the fanciful numbers which need decimal-point adjustments, this whimsical tale has far graver consequences than a mere biased account of history.

The 'Battle Of Thermopylae' has been the single most powerful wedge, which has divided East and West for over 2 millennia. In a time when East and West should be reconciling their differences, along comes the movie '300' to drive that wedge even deeper.

What is most disturbing about this movie is not that it lacks historical accuracy. It is not that Xerxes, the Grandson of Cyrus The Great and loving husband of Esther, is shown as an oversized drag queen. It is not even the outdated racist cliché of *casting the Persians as Africans and the Spartans as white, blue-eyed 'Chippendale dancers,' when in reality the roles may well have been reversed.

What is so distressing about this movie is the realization of the tremendous power Hollywood wields in determining a people's identity. It is the same nightmare Native Americans endured during the whole 'cowboy-movie' genre.

*Not that it matters but it is my understanding that Persians are of Aryan roots lol certainly not African as depicted in that movie!!

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r
  • Like 1

Good point about the cartoon version of the story, SA. I agree, it was pretty bad. The real story is very interesting, though, and there's a good recent book by Tom Holland on the Persian Empire that I'd recommend. It's called Persian Fire, and it's been getting excellent reviews.

Just as an aside....

(I don't recall seeing made in Hollywood movies about Vietnam War lol!!!!).

Hollywood Vietnam:

Green Beret

Platoon

Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

Good Morning Vietnam

There are others that don't come to my crusty mind right now. It took a long time for Hollywood to touch Vietnam but they finally got to it.

And now to our regularly scheduled slagging of Hollywood's habit of "adjusting" history to fit some producer or marketing person's vision of how to make the most money.

No electrons were harmed in the production of this message

I meant the actual war scenes like "Combat" or hundreds of WWII movies out from Hollywood, in which American soldiers are depicted as bullet proof and a single American soldier killing hundreds of German soldiers and always coming out victorious. The truth is that mostly the Europeans fought the war (Russians and British in Particular) and suffered the worse of casualties. Not to mention Hollywood movies about a few white cowboys standing up to hundreds of screaming native, and killing them all depicting the natives as the violent barbarians and uncivilized people whereas in reality it was those cowboys who came over to their lands, took their lands and almost entirely wiped them out. Now who is the barbarian one lol??.

Of course you must allow Hollywood to re-write the Second World War so no-one else really did much to win it save the Yanks.

"Over dressed, over paid and over here" as Granny used to say. Mind you I think Mum liked it.....;-)

CB

All the hollywood banter aside whenever someone say "this is madness" I fill in the rest of the line in my head in a tough manly voice and I occasionally kick things.

Posted via Mobile Device

Very therapeutic.

You ought to kick things which typify the focus of your built up frustrations - not the cat, who did nothing to deserve such ignominy.

Such items could be the start of yet another unhijackable thread....

CB

No persian, this...is..SPARRTAAAAAA!!!!!

I had to do it for post 300

HEHE

As you were :P

NO!

THIS.. IS.. CAKE TOWN!

The PG version. Sorry, couldn't resist!

All the hollywood banter aside whenever someone say "this is madness" I fill in the rest of the line in my head in a tough manly voice and I occasionally kick things.

Me, too! Although, at times, depending on my mood and the circumstances, I hear it in solemnly declaimed Shakespearean style.....