Does Anyone Own A Bose Wave Music System?

This is a decision you have got to make for yourself. If you like the sound of the Bose, buy it. You are probably not going to be doing any critical listening in your bedroom anyways where projecting a soundstage is important or anything like that. Just enjoy the music.

A more modern solution would probably include an ipod interface or an Apple airport or other wifi device to plug into your system to play music. That way, you could include your entire collection and not changes CDs once.

Yes agreed, but if you had read the earlier thread you would have realized that a modern digital solution is not in the works! I'm with you on this though, my entire music collection is burned and I play it through multiple devices streaming though airport express

There will now be a short pause for a thread hijack while we disparage the lossiness of the mp3 encoding :)

Dont get me wrong, I keep my CDs, and I still have a small tube amp and my Stax headphones, but I gave my brother my good hifi system. I think you can set iTunes to encode at a higher rate, cant you? It will take up more space on your computer and iPod, but memory is cheap.

My point is that for this sort of an application, an iPod with normal encoding would probably work fine and be more convenient. Or just go with the Bose or Tivoli to keep it simple... whatever turns your crank.

I think you can set iTunes to encode at a higher rate, cant you?

Yep. Select Apple Lossless Encoder when importing with iTunes. FLAC is another popular lossless format used by other ripper apps.

But I defy anyone to hear the difference between lossless and mp3/aac/wav formats when listening directly on their iPod or through a Bose Wave or Tivoli. You'll need a higher end system for sure.

Yep. Select Apple Lossless Encoder when importing with iTunes. FLAC is another popular lossless format used by other ripper apps.

But I defy anyone to hear the difference between lossless and mp3/aac/wav formats when listening directly on their iPod or through a Bose Wave or Tivoli. You'll need a higher end system for sure.

Agreed. That's my point .... if drlove is going for a "compact" paradigm, using an iPod or streaming through iTunes or other application may be a good idea.

Edited by Kubrickfan
Typo