Sex and the Somme - Brothels on the Western Front during the Great War

Guest W***ledi*Time

Very interesting information, WIT! Thanks for sharing. Especially about the pay difference between the Brits and Colonials.

It has always been the British tradition to consider sex as being a part of a soldier, sailor or airman's well being. For generations we have accepted that our soldiers need to enjoy themselves so as not to allow the constant stress of combat destroy their mental health and sex is a great way to keep soldiers very happy!

During my first tour of Iraq, we were given 10 days leave after 4 months of constant stress. As my little gang of trouble makers and I had pretty much gone straight from Afganistan to the invasion of Iraq, we were a bit over tired. So when I asked them where they wanted to go for a break, they resoundingly said "Ukraine"! They obviously had put some thought in to this!!!

Let me tell you what being around gorgeous women for 10 days can do to a soldier's mental health. I personally was on the verge of a complete breakdown just before we went on leave, and went back to Iraq so relaxed...it saved my life!

• Like 1

Thanks WIT for enlightening us with this historical perspective.

The stress relieve which the arms of a lovely lass or a gentleman can provide to armed forces members returning from active combat duty or simply on a R&R furlough is enormous. To be able to forget about the horrors and fears engendered by combat is quite difficult for those who have not experienced it to completely understand. The constant tension about what the next corner or hill crest will bring; the worries about IEDs which can be placed anywhere by enemy combattants; the incessant noise and clamour which occurs around home base and any sortie into the field. The list can go on!

Suffice it to say that war and the casualties it causes--not only in lose of lives of our armed forces members--but also to those who remain behind on the home front and share the anxiety of the safety of their loved ones ( be they sons, daughters, spouses or relations) is envidious.

In our household we always watched the national Remembrance Day ceremony from Ottawa. Our Mother always reminded us that it was not only the soldiers who suffered. Of particular importance to her was the Silver Cross Mother and the agonizing story of having to see their son(s)/ daughter(s) killed in defence of our country's values.

November 11 in particular, but any time of the year, please thank any military personnel for the role they play and the sacrifices they endure for us.

• Like 1