Spirit of Giving > Spirit of Getting

When I was growing up, Christmas was such a magical time. Setting up the Christmas tree with family, tobogganing in the snow in the park across the street, cuddling with my brothers and my dog by the roaring fire in the fireplace... It certainly was a wonderful time to be a child. Plus, we would always get a few cool gifts that we could share with our friends.

Things started to change for me a little later in life, sometime in my teens, when the "Christmas Spirit" started to wane. I t wasn't so much about seeing friends and family, and more about struggling through the season, fighting our way around the mall, and somehow trying to find a gift for my parents, even though my budget meant I could never get them anything worthwhile. I began to resent the idea of having to "buy" something for someone, even knowing full well they'd never use it, just so I could meet my social obligation of buying someone something they really didn't need. With my brothers, I practically gave up - we would agree on a dollar amount beforehand, and exchange cards with the exact same amount of money inside, just so we wouldn't have to deal with the holiday hassle. I started to dread the onset of the holiday season because of it, and any magical feelings that Christmas invoked in me had long since disappeared.

After all those years of stressing over gift-giving, I finally decided to give up on it this year. Instead of trying to find the perfect knick-knack for my Dad to put in his garage, or the perfect DVD that I knew my brother would love, or trying to figure out what I wanted them to give me, I just told everyone not to give gifts to me this year, and to use the money for something more important - I asked them to donate it to a charity of my choice, and I would do the same for their gifts as well.

Christmas is supposed to be about the spirit of giving, but it's turned into the spirit of getting instead. Kids go back to school in January, and the first thing they ask each other is, "What did you GET for Christmas?" when they really should be asking, "What did you GIVE for Christmas?" In terms of our psychological and emotional health, it truly is better to give than to receive - those who help and give to others are considerably more happy than those who don't. So why don't we try to instill that feeling amongst our young relatives from an early age, and help them live happier lives as a result?

The main reason I'm sharing this is because I want to promote a particular charity to those who might feel the same way. The Nature Conservancy of Canada is a wonderful organization dedicated to the preservation of Canada's natural beauty, and the wildlife that helps make our country so amazing. They do a lot of great work in protecting the environment that our wildlife depends on, ensuring that future generations will be able to marvel at and appreciate the same natural beauty that we sometimes take for granted.

If there's someone special in your life and you can't think of a good gift to give them, then I highly recommend donating to the Nature Conservancy in their honour. It's the kind of gift that both the giver and receiver can feel good about, and at least you know the gift won't end up in the bottom drawer of someone's dresser, collecting dust with all the other pointless "gifts" we've given each other over the years. Trust me, you'll both feel really good because of it. :)

iyZem.jpg

• Like 8

Great post Nikki!

I agree with you about the "Christmas Spirit" where you should be lifting others spirits by giving not receiving all the time. I spend my time helping out during this time of year with the The Snowsuit Fund of Ottawa.

The Snowsuit Fund distributes snowsuits to needy children, 15 years and under,it is a social organization working to deal with the consequences of poverty in our region.

In the past 2010/2011 season, we distributed over 15,000 new snowsuits.

That in itself, is generous and very giving. When we can put a smile on a kids face, that itself is priceless. The Snowsuit Fund Of Ottawa is operating in its 30th year!

Link for those like to assist, (and by all means Nikki my post was not to under mine your charity chose at all), donating to any charity at this time of year is beneficial for all those involved.

http://www.snowsuitfund.com/

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, I'm glad you feel the same way! I don't think your post was undercutting mine in the least, and I'm really happy you also have a preferred charity that you support. I absolutely agree that giving to any charity is a good thing at this time of year (except the Salvation Army, but that's another post in itself) so I'm glad to hear that others take this approach as well.

In fact, why don't we make this thread into a "post your preferred charity here" thread, so anyone who wants to recommend a charity can do so? That way, anyone who feels inspired to give to charity in someone else's honour will have a nice list of worthy charities to choose from? :)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your Christmas story Nikki. The greatest gift I received last year was a beautiful abandoned calico cat my neighbor found in the heating vent at a senior's home she worked for early morning. My little one got into the ducts for warmth from the cold and she was very lucky to be rescued by my friend before they did their morning laundry. She's a vocal girl and if she had not meowed, she would have probably perished when the laundry machines were started. I knew the day she came to my door she found me and has been a daily blessing and my best gift ever. She gives back to me every day so that's how I see "getting." I've fed and spoiled her greatly. She was emaciated and now full, possibly a little chubby, shiny and beautiful. That puts a smile on my face I cannot explain.

I'm a constant contributor to FOAP as I can only physically accommodate two cats but always try to help as much as I can in support of other animals. Just like you can sponsor a child, you can sponsor an animal through various pet organizations. If I had children on my list this year that has a love for animals, what better gift to show their friends in the New Year of their new adopted new pet.

It's so very true. We do need to give to receive and what we receive back from donating our time or funds to charitable organizations and helping out our fellow people, families and animals is truly a gift that keeps giving. There's no Iphone, Ipad or whatever those gadgets are I cannot spell that will do the same.

I would like to add FOAP.

http://www.foap.on.ca/

While I have a few chosen charities I support all year round, at Christmas I support Toy Mountian and the Food Bank. Every kid should get something under the tree on Christmas morning and everyone deserves a full belly. There are few better feelings than sliding a bunch of toys into the collection depot knowing it's going to bring a smile to some liitle one's face.

Awesome post Nikki :) I am involved in a few charities, but as far as Xmas I haven't embraced one particular cause as you have....which is awesome !!

In the past I used to help out putting on a free meal for the homeless in the city. The last few years I have been involved in delivering turkey meals and the fixins to the elderly that can't get out or do not have any family around to spend time with. A very small gesture by us lucky folks can mean so very much to others :)

Giving to charity is more important now than ever. I always feel bad around this time of year because, for many years now, I haven't made the effort to get out there and give of my time. Giving money is better than nothing, but there are so many worthy causes that just need people to show up and put in some hours caring for others. You can help out at a local shelter, a home for the elderly, at the hospital, or be a dedicated driver -- there are so many things.

I think (hope) we have finally managed to convince family and friends NOT to *buy* us any gifts. We're adults and if we really want something, we can buy it ourselves. I always tell people, if they want to give me something, give me a great big empty box with prepaid shipping back to their house. I'll fill it full of some of the junk that's accumulated around here over the past 30 years and send it back to them -- they can worry about properly recycling/disposing of it. We're trying to pare back, but it is soooo hard!

I still so love personally made gifts though -- whether it be something from someone's kitchen, a drawing or a photo they took, something they've written, something handmade, A MASSAGE!! One of the best gifts I ever got was when a friend sang and performed "Mountains O'Mourne" on the harmonica for me, clad only in his underwear. If I live to be 100, I will never forget that sweet moment!

My favourite part about the holidays is giving my loved ones gifts and seeing their faces when they open them. I'm usually really good at finding great gifts for people and so I really like the feeling of knowing that I surprised them with something great--even if it's not expensive. Just something well-thought out that I know they'll like.

For example, my lover is a whiskey connoisseur and so I got him a set of those whiskey stones (these cool stones that you keep in the freezer and put in your drink to keep it cool, but unlike ice cubes they don't melt and dilute your liquor).

I totally agree that Christmas should be about giving, not getting. I really do love giving. I just love watching people's faces light up when they get something awesome.

• Like 1

No gifts except for the kids (nieces and nephews and friends kids) and even those are most likely to be books or things that can easily be re-used in later years.

I donate all year but at Xmas I do ramp it up, one year I bought 20 coats with toques and mitts for a local shelter. This year the Xmas Cheer Board, Winnipeg Harvest and a few others.

My car blew up literally (blown motor) on my way to make donations today. My companion asked now what? Let's call a tow truck and a cab and carry on I said..which is what we did.

Oddly, it was a pretty fun day!

Peace

MG

Edited by mrgreen760