Christopher Hichens - sadly dead at 62 from oesophageal cancer

Wow. Tragic. Even if you didn't always agree with his politics, you had to respect and admire his passion. He was a free thinker who let his principles dictate his battles as oppossed to partisan politics and didn't shy away from a fight.

A huge loss to the world. I can't think of anyone else who was prepared to say exactly what he thought about anything, regardless of the approval (or not, frequently) of the rest of the universe. As I've seen elsewhere in a tribute to him - he didn't tell anyone what to think, but he taught you how to think.

And one of my favorite quotes from him, on Jerry Falwell: "If you gave him an enema, you could bury the rest in a matchbox".

Okay, that's enough obituary-ness. I'm going to have a(nother) drink. I think he'd approve.

• Like 1

Given that it was not unexpected, I was surprised when it struck me upon hearing the news that I hadn't fully accepted that not only were we losing a great man, but that there is nobody who could adequately fill his shoes.

Johnnie Walker Black...Breakfast of Champions

I have loved this man ever since his criticism of Mother Theresa's support of the Duvalier regime in Haiti. So much love.

I really enjoyed Letters to a Young Contrarian.