Just what the hell is this hideous, drooling barf log called meatloaf??

Just what is this wet, nasty traditional delicacy supposed to accomplish exactly, except to provide gag fodder for poor, innocent little kids?

Whenever my parents decided to inflict this decidedly horrid mess to the dinner table, I opted to fake sudden malaria or cancer. The subtefuge didn't work. Damn!...my parents knew all the tricks!

Ha - I pulled out my classic moves. I filled my mouth with the disgusting mess to the point of exploding. My cheeks loaded like a chipmunk I then asked to be excused to go to the bathroom "Mai ay pleathed guh tuh thu bafrum?".

Once there, I emptied the mouth baggage into the toilet & joyfully flushed the gick away. I wonder how many times my parents would fall for the same excuse - cuz there was more than a mouthful on my plate! Let's just say, I had the trots that evening.

Is meatloaf like Fruitbread?

Is meatloaf like Tortier?

Is meatloaf like Mincemeat or Bread Pudding?

Why oh why is there meatload?

Does anyone actually like the stuff?

I think Meatloaf is good as a singer. Here's one of his hits

Seriously, a good meatloaf is good. Mom makes a good meatloaf

And for leftovers, meatloaf sandwiches with mayo and dijon mustard

But it's like anything, depends on the cook

RG

I don't go out of my way to make it but yeah, I will eat it. There could be worse things then meat loaf. LIVER LOAF.

Put some HP sauce, Franks or just plain Ketchup on it. You wolf that down, no dessert for you and it's straight to bed after your homework.

Hmm,, I love meatloaf, the meal and the singer.

When I saw this thread, I wasn't sure which one it was referring to. But I like them both, so I figure I couldn't lose by clicking on it. ;)

Meatloaf is one of those non pretentious foods that screams of childhood memories.

You probably won't find on the menu of fine dining establishments... but that doesn't mean that people don't enjoy it. It's comfort food. It's like sloppy joes, or macaroni and cheese... creative tasty meals that weren't overly expensive but were filling. Meals served on a table. On plates. Surrounded by family.

Meatloaf is like a link to childhood, to mom, to siblings, to a more carefree existence. It's like Saturday morning cartoons. Like riding a bike. It's a fort made with pillows, a blanket and a card table. It's grandma and grandpa. It's penny candy.

Meatloaf. It's more than meets the eye.

All I can say is I make a kick ass meatloaf. Actually many different ones. Btw OD I created a low fat cabbage roll tonight :)

All I can say is I make a kick ass meatloaf. Actually many different ones. Btw OD I created a low fat cabbage roll tonight :)

We must gormandize.

Look you two - I can see where this is going...and I have two words: STOP IT!

Despite it's shortcomings, meat loaf should not be sexualized.

For God's sake - is nothing sacred??!!

Jabba... I am sorry. Meg just.... ummmm.... she just.... ermmmm.... she is just a damn sexy foodie.

As for meatloaf.... it's made of meat. That's a good thing. It's tasty. Also a good thing. It tends to be a bit greasy... oh well... two out of three ain't bad. ;)

Meatloaf is a Rolls Royce that you can eat. It is the alpha loaf!

I enjoy a well made meatloaf every now and again. It was one of the few things I actually ate as a kid. As long as it had plenty of ketchup though!

05_wd0709_Mac_n_Cheese_Stuffed_Bacon_Wrapped_Mea.jpg

Guest ***nsut***jr

Nothing wrong with some good meatloaf.

It all depends on how its made.

I'm actually craving it now.

Maybe with mashed potatoes.

I never use store bought ground beef for anything like hamburgers, meat sauce etc. Especially that stuff in the plastic tube. YUCK!

I not ashamed to say I grind my own meat. lol

Guest ***nsut***jr
One word "barf" LOL

Angie, its all in how you make it.

You have to carefully grind the meat.

Then use gentle hands to get it shaped up.

Proper care is needed to get it hot and ready.

Be patient and it you will be rewarded...

with a great meatloaf.

Meatloaf might look gross, but the way I make it, it tastes awesome.

Just close your eyes. Just remember, whatever you eat, turns to....

Additional Comments:

Look you two - I can see where this is going...and I have two words: STOP IT!

Despite it's shortcomings, meat loaf should not be sexualized.

For God's sake - is nothing sacred??!!

Once cooled down, one can carve out the perfect orifice for.....

Hey you started the thread, Jabba!!! Ha ha.

I'm with the majority on this one.

Meatloaf = Tasty!

Just ketchup on top of the meatloaf is boring though. You've got to mix some brown sugar and a touch of mustard/mustard powder in with the ketchup before you slather it on and bake it! Mmmmm :)

Also, Sheppard's pie is also up there as far as good ol' home cookin' is concerned!

I've had some pretty good meatloaves in my time, but what I really like are the imitation meatloaves. Nut loaf. Veggie loaf. Lentil loaf. Top it with mushroom gravy and a side of potatoes and you're good to go!

Now I'm hungry.

*tiptoes off to make toast* Toast comes from a loaf... right?

I really like individual meatloaves. You make them in muffin tins!

A meatloaf muffin with sprinkles?

My advice with meatloaf? Bake it when you make it.

Sounds simple, yes? My mother used to make a meatloaf that was suitable for any occasion, including High Holy Family Gatherings. I got the recipe from her and the other cook here decided we would have it for supper the next evening. She was in that phase where she put whatever supper was going to be in the stove and set the timer to start at the appropriate time. She put the meatloaf in the oven, ground beef, eggs, and all, and let it sit all day and cook just before we got home.

It sucked. Not just in a passing way but so bad that this episode has made it into Official Family Lore. We're lucky we didn't die.

So no meatloaf gets made here. But we do eat my mom's when we are back home. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.