Fright Night

Guest **cely***r***ne

I am one of those people who love a good spine tingling fright! Horror and Ghost movies are among my favourite.

I have found a collection of photos that once I found the creepy images contained within, I got a chill.

I cannot be the only one who likes to find images within an image! So here is a thread I thought Id start for just that!

real-ghost.jpg

Even better than a mere image, next time you are in Halifax, Penelope, take a walk down Argyle Street and look at the windows of St. Paul's Church. One of the window panes has the silhouette of a man's head

2868567_f260.jpg

The story is here

http://enicolson.hubpages.com/hub/Ghosts-of-the-Halifax-Explosion-1917

Guest **cely***r***ne

Yes! Also if anyone is visiting Halifax and have a thing for haunted places The Halifax Ghost Walk is incredible! There are quite a few different places they take you, prisons, Citadel Hill and many more! I think it is worth the time to try!

http://www.thehalifaxghostwalk.com/home.html

Apparently there is a ghost of a girl in the clock tower on Citadel Hill.

Nova%20Scotia%20-%20Halifax-Old%20Town%20Clock-thumb-400x277-1917.jpg

Okay, this already has me freaked out! LOL But I KNOW I am going to keep looking in too!

Just call me mrrwimp.

Guest **cely***r***ne

Taken from a pic I posted in the Unhijackable Thread of Randomness...

photoshop-scary-old-funny-odd-photoshop-fake-demotivational-poster-1220829359.jpg

... The Halifax Ghost Walk is incredible!...

... for sure, this is on my list of things to do next time I'm in Halifax in the summer

Edited by baileydog

Fun thread Penelope! Thank you for it.

Horrors and any scary films are not my thing,however I do watch some through the day(if I am forced lol) ....

They creep me out. I am a grown adult and still (when watching a scary film before bed) look under it,in my closets and mute my t.v. to hear and wears,random sounds lol..

I'm a still a little scared girl when it comes to horrors at heart..

See, I love this stuff!!!! The UK, especially Scotland is incredibly haunted. I've seen so much bizarre stuff back home it just send tingles up your spine, but is it ever cool!!! My friend in London grew up in a house that was seriously haunted...loved staying at his place...so cool!!!

• Like 1

ooooooooh.... now this might be a little disturbing.....

Remember the Nicole Kidman film, "The Others"?

There was a sequence there that was as freaky as all get out, where she was going through posed photographs of family members and it turned out that the family posing were all post mortem - it was part of a craze that developed in the late 18th century.

The rationale? Without superhighways, air travel and fast cars, it could take weeks for a family to inform their kin that one of the clan had died, and for the surviving members of the family to come back to town to attend a memorial service. Add to that, many families took the life span of their children more or less for granted (as we all do); there would be plenty of time for family photos.

Photographers in many towns had specialized techniques to "re-animate" the dead - ostensibly posing them with metal stands and sturdy wires, and retouching the faces to make them full of life (or painting open eyes on closed eyelids.)

Two such examples are below - from the Petrolia Ontario archives. In the first photo, mom and dad are very much alive, in the second, both subjects were very much of another world. It may be creepy, but it is also testament to the grief felt and the loss endured... a final chance to remember love ones lost.

zpostmort.JPG

(note the metal stand behind the person in the middle)

post.jpg

(this one just gives me the chills!!!!)

Just found another..... this isn't from Petrolia....

6a00d834515b2069e20120a57cbaf3970c-pi

When I read Penelopes opening post I immediately thought not of something local but of a movie or should I say part thereof. Since I am a fan of James Bond literature and movies I remember reading that during the filming of License to Kill, specifically during filming of the final scenes, the cast and crew felt the location was just a bit "spooky." This picture was taken by a crew member behind the scenes but can not be found in any of the actual movie footage. Below the picture is a link for added reading/info. on the subject.

hand.jpg

http://www.universalexports.net/Movies/license-hand.shtml

well this is taken from the haunted walk etc.

but i do believe the courtyard restaurant - george street. ottawa is haunted :b

"While dining at the Courtyard Restaurant, you may encounter the ghost of a woman, who tends to peer out of one of the windows located on the second floor. Employees of this eatery have also heard unexplainable footsteps about the premises. When looking out of the corner of their eyes, they believe that they have seen what looks like a person. Legend has it that a woman burned to death while the building was on fire. When the ghost comes to the window, it is actually looking for who she believes should have rescued her."

experienced some chills there... or maybe im just chicken? :D

From what i can gather history wise... well Courtyard used to be a real court yard. people get executed there? no idea if its true or not.

I don't have to go far for ghosts...I live with one...the lady who previously lived here dies in the living room. She a good ghost..we haven't seen her but have seen and heard the things she does...from lights swinging to doors slamming...one time my son was cleaning and he turned to see the broom standing strait up...we have pictures of it somewhere...i'll try to find them..it was a little unnerving..but i guess she was just telling him don't forget to sweep. lol

Guest **cely***r***ne

I was bored one night watching TV trying to fall asleep, I seen something out of the corner of my eye, and turned to look. There was nothing, but I knew there was something. I could "feel" it.

I took my cell phone and took a picture of my living area. When I looked at the picture, there was an old lady dressed in period clothing, late 1800's to early 1900's sitting in my chair! I showed the picture to many friends, and they all seen her too. One night I showed a very dear friend the same picture, but it had disappeared! The night beforehand, I had given the chair away....and then the picture disappeared?! It freaked me out a little!

I love ghost stories! Here is another one from the Maritimes!

http://www.devilspenny.com/2010/04/the-antigonish-haunting-nova-scotia-1922/

When I was in my early to mid 20's I dated a girl for a few months. Her room was in the basement. I swear there was something weird going on in that basement. Whenever we spent an extended amount of time down there we would get really angry and start fighting. Or get really depressed. When we were out or at my place everything was honky dory. But if I spent more than one hour in that basement I would start to feel.....off. Even the sex there was.....hostile. I like rough-ish sex but this was different....hateful in a way. We never hurt each other....but it was in the feeling which accompanied the sex. It wasn't a nice feeling to say the least. Once, we spent most of the weekend down there with breaks only to go upstairs and eat. One night I woke up in the middle of the night after we had just had another nasty argument. I made my way into the bathroom that was down there and just started cutting myself. It was like an out of body experience or something. Kinda like a dream. I was just hacking away at my arm (not wrist). I could barely feel it. In all other instances, even when feeling as low as I possibly could, I've never been self destructive. Not like that. She eventually got worried after I'd been there for a while and asked me what I was doing. Her voice "broke the spell" so to speak. I came to my senses and was like "Oh my god what the fuck am I doing?!"....I shudder to think what might have happened if she hadn't woken up and called out to me.

The whole thing still reminds me of The Shining. The best I can describe the feeling was like what I imagine cabin fever feels like. But only after being there an hour or two. And only in the basement. And it wasn't a particularly confining basement or anything. It was brightly decorated. Had a lot of windows. And to look at it it was a fairly cheerful space. They were the first owners of that house. And no one ever died there.....but I wouldn't be surprised if I looked into it deep enough to find out about some weird ancient burial ground or some shit like that. I never "saw" or "heard" anything. But I'm convinced there's some bad mojo in that basement. Not before or since then have I ever felt like I did down there. Something's there. I have no doubt of that. And whatever it is it's malevolent.

We stayed friends after we broke up and I've been back there a couple of times. But I've avoided that basement like the plague.

Posted via Mobile Device

Edited by castle

The pic didn't disappear, OD... but it lost a colon :)

Pictures-Of-Real-Life-Ghosts-thumb.jpg

And on the subject of this thread, I've never had anything supernatural happen to me at all.

The pic didn't disappear, OD... but it lost a colon :)

Ohhhhh I hate that. Things get unmanageable when that happens.

On a more serious note, specters are scary, as witnessed below.

Scooby-Doo-Mystery-Incorporated-Episode-17.jpg

Guest **cely***r***ne

paranormal.jpg

photo was taken by a woman and her boyfriend who found a guitar in the old house they just moved into. They thought they were just taking some fun pictures, but when the photos were developed, the woman noticed a strange paranormal apparition in the chair beside her.

They later discovered that an old man had taken his own life in that very house. One of the strangest things about it was that the man had been a guitar player when he was alive. Could his spirit have returned to listen to the couple playing guitar?

ooooooooh.... now this might be a little disturbing.....

Remember the Nicole Kidman film, "The Others"?

There was a sequence there that was as freaky as all get out, where she was going through posed photographs of family members and it turned out that the family posing were all post mortem - it was part of a craze that developed in the late 18th century.

The rationale? Without superhighways, air travel and fast cars, it could take weeks for a family to inform their kin that one of the clan had died, and for the surviving members of the family to come back to town to attend a memorial service. Add to that, many families took the life span of their children more or less for granted (as we all do); there would be plenty of time for family photos.

Photographers in many towns had specialized techniques to "re-animate" the dead - ostensibly posing them with metal stands and sturdy wires, and retouching the faces to make them full of life (or painting open eyes on closed eyelids.)

Two such examples are below - from the Petrolia Ontario archives. In the first photo, mom and dad are very much alive, in the second, both subjects were very much of another world. It may be creepy, but it is also testament to the grief felt and the loss endured... a final chance to remember love ones lost.

zpostmort.JPG

(note the metal stand behind the person in the middle)

post.jpg

(this one just gives me the chills!!!!)

Just found another..... this isn't from Petrolia....

6a00d834515b2069e20120a57cbaf3970c-pi

holly molly,scary

Additional Comments:

Intriguing read for those who enjoy a lengthy one. It is a story that has fascinated me for a long time!

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/amherst.htm

The house...

MBT3D00Z.jpg

great read, thanks p for providing this -spoooooooky