Cell Phone Numbers Going Public This Month

Guest k***na

This is a good idea for people who hate getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone!

I added my number to the DO NOT CALL LIST awhile ago and havent had any calls from telemarketers:)

Telemarketers call my home phone often and when I can, I try to participate in their short surveys with no obligation to anything! I was a telemarketer for many years when I was younger and I understand what the job is like.

Sounds like the same hoax that has been circulating via email for years.

CRTC says:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1039.htm

Historical examples of this hoax in Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2008/11/19/tech-scam.html

In the USA:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Even if the email is a scam, still good idea to register your number to avoid telemarketers. Because many SPs advertise their phone numbers in advertising, our numbers often get picked up and added to telemarketing phone lists.

Well after WIT's post I checked the round-about way

I went to the Government of Canada website

From there, clicked under Departments and Agencies

Went to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Agency

Click on telephone service

Click on national do not call list

And this is the link

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

But government of canada websites end have gc.ca

And the CBC article cited by WIT is back in 2008

I think this is bona fide, and I registered my number

RG

Guest W***ledi*Time
... Went to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Agency ... I think this is bona fide ...

The hoax is that "Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month." Unless the CRTC is mistaken about the regulations that they themselves are responsible for administering.

Guest s******ecan****

LOL.....

went to register and found out I had already done so when the DNC first came out. However I also doscovered that you have to renew your registration every 6 years so I am glad I visited (mine was due to expire in 2013).

....good thread!

Well after WIT's post I checked the round-about way

I went to the Government of Canada website

From there, clicked under Departments and Agencies

Went to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Agency

Click on telephone service

Click on national do not call list

And this is the link

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

But government of canada websites end have gc.ca

And the CBC article cited by WIT is back in 2008

I think this is bona fide, and I registered my number

RG

There was never any question that the link to the government website wasn't legit, only the email circulating that cell phones going public. But good thing to check anyhow.

• Like 1

It's odd, but my cellphone has been on the do not call list for years, yet I still get a call from a telemarketer every so often.

I did the DNC thing awhile back and still get telemarketers calling. I'm not entirely convinced that new telemarketers or scammers abide by the list. If I'm in my office and a strange number comes up, I Google it to see who it is before I answer.....and it's usually a call I don't want to take. If a strange number comes up on my cell phone, that's what voicemail is for. I don't feel like spending all day trying to be nice to people I don't want to talk to and sometimes I think the DNC list is sold to marketers, lol.

Well, there's no harm in doing this. I'd done it at some point in the past, but I've just renewed everything :) Thanks for the reminder, RG!

But it's true that this doesn't stop all telemarketing. AFAIK any company with which you already have a business relationship, or that you've done business with relatively recently (I can't remember what the cut-off is for this, but 6 months springs to mind) can legitimately call you up and ask you to do surveys, or buy other things from them, or whatever. Your best bet with them is to give them a call and ask them to take you off their marketing lists; most companies prefer not to piss their customers off too much and will therefore do so. However, it may take a bit of time to kick in - what they tend to do is make sure tht you aren't included in any new marketing campaigns, rather than take you out of any that may be running already.

Guest Ou**or**n

Interesting - hoax or not I'm glad this was posted as it gave me a chance to check my numbers. I found my home number wasn't listed (which I thought it was) and my cell was already registered. Given I was there I extended it.

Well, there's no harm in doing this. I'd done it at some point in the past, but I've just renewed everything :) Thanks for the reminder, RG!

But it's true that this doesn't stop all telemarketing. AFAIK any company with which you already have a business relationship, or that you've done business with relatively recently (I can't remember what the cut-off is for this, but 6 months springs to mind) can legitimately call you up and ask you to do surveys, or buy other things from them, or whatever. Your best bet with them is to give them a call and ask them to take you off their marketing lists; most companies prefer not to piss their customers off too much and will therefore do so. However, it may take a bit of time to kick in - what they tend to do is make sure tht you aren't included in any new marketing campaigns, rather than take you out of any that may be running already.

Agreed, its simple to do ... in the states, we registered for this right away (I think it was only done at the state level) as it does seem to cut down on the telemarketing calls on our land line. Whether or not its an urban legend, RG's basic point is a good one as this is really simple to do and you get hassled less on your phone.

It doesn't get rid of everything in the states as prior vendors, charities and (ugh) political solicitations are excepted out of the rule.

The do not call list has been great for me for years on my home landline which is registered. I used to get multiple calls and now they are few and far between.

There are exemptions to the policy. For example I believe that charitable organizations can still call legally, and I know with certainty that companies that you presently do business with ARE allowed to call you for telemarketing purposes. eg Scotiabank, etc

I continually got calls from Scotiabank for things such as buying insurance. Finally I lost my temper perhaps as much as I ever do and told the person that I have been a Scotiabank customer for 35+ years, that I have all of my money and investments in their care, and that if I ever get one more telemarketing call that I would take every cent to another bank.

I never received another call from them.

I got a pre-recorded telemarketing call today from 613-667-5300.

So even though I have a cell number, because it's published in print and on the Internet, my number is getting picked up from somewhere.

Seriously though, I am convinced "they" have auto number generators that just dial out random numbers and if it's your number you get the call.

Great post...I was trying to read Chanel's post just below.....read two words...look at profile pic....two words .... look at profile pic and so on. Took me 8 tries to get through the post. Then just for shits and giggles had to read it again ;)

Great post...I was trying to read Chanel's post just below.....read two words...look at profile pic....two words .... look at profile pic and so on. Took me 8 tries to get through the post. Then just for shits and giggles had to read it again ;)

:ThankYou:LOL Should I change it?

• Like 1

Yes got my second one today AND Im on the no-call list. Oh wait...thats a govt department....should be processed by 2013!

Edit: notice I didnt change it!! :D