The monster under the bed

Did your parents ever confide in you there was a monster living under your bed or in your closet? I think this was a tool just to keep kids in bed.

Or, as a parent, did you ever mention to your kid there was some kind of creature living in a dark spot somewhere? When I was a kid, I was absolutely convinced my closet door was opening all by itself. I got freaked-out pretty easily I guess.

I mentioned this to my youngster, but said youngster thought it was a huge laugh. Monster's name was Maurice. Honestly, what kind of a monster has a name like that?? It was especially a huge laugh when youngster had a stay-over guest for the night. I would say goodnight to the kids & then say "goodnight Maurice". When guest asked who Maurice was, my kid casually said it was "oh, it's just the monster under the bed". Should have seen the other kid's eyes pop. A second later, I just laughed and turned out the light. I am so cruel.

Did you have a favourite monster waiting just to get you?

I didn't have a specific monster, but I was very wary of whatever might be lurking in my bedroom closet when I was a kid.

When my own children were small, we gave them a big Fisher-Price flash light that they could use to shine on any monsters under the bed or anywhere else in the room. My daughter got a lot of use out of it and would often deliver very stern lectures to those monsters, too!

I mentioned this to my youngster, but said youngster thought it was a huge laugh. Monster's name was Maurice.

errr ummmm the monster under my bed was Maurice as well.......ummmm Dad ?!?

seriously he was.

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

Courtesy of Gary Larson, monster empresario ... my own tried-and-true survival strategy:

2917532240095242359HggYgx_ph.jpg

for me it wasnt a monster under the bed or anything, i have a trailer in a campgroud (i dont live there i camp there lol) and to keep me out of the abandoned apartment buildings that were almost litterally a stones throw away my parents told me there was a warewolf that lived in the building and watched for kids as they walked by at night and once every full moon would be able to leave the building and walk around the buildings to make sure no one was snooping around. to this day its still kinda weird walking around those buildings lol.

zoro