Androgynous model walks runway as man and woman

It frightens me.

I wish the fashion world would accept the fact that women are shaped like women and not like young boys.

While I don't begrudge him his success (he is a striking person), but by showcasing him as the face of women's fashion, the "fashionistas" again impose impossible standards for young women to try to achieve. No breasts. No hips. Waif like body. Young women should not strive to appear like young men merely for the sake of fashion.

Just my two cents...

It frightens me.

I wish the fashion world would accept the fact that women are shaped like women and not like young boys.

Young women should not strive to appear like young men merely for the sake of fashion.

OD, I think I understand where you're coming from- the often unreachable standards of the fashion industry and the 'ideal' of a twig-thin body are very damaging for some people.

On the other hand, I think this is awesome because I think that the way we tend to strictly gender fashion is very limiting. By pushing the envelope this way and having a male-identified person model both 'mens' and 'womens' clothing, we work to break down these old outdated gender roles about what men do and wear and think and what women do and wear and think. It acknowledges that people should be able to wear whatever they like- that is, whatever makes them feel attractive and good about themselves.

Also, I'm mistaken for a young lad rather frequently. It amuses me. My fashion sense is rather androgynous, and I'm pleased to know that I can take on different roles fairly easily, simply by changing out of my frilly frock and into my doc martens and men's jeans. Personal identity meets societal gaze. Riots and frivolity ensue.

EDIT: Also, from what I know of changes in fashion trends in the past, the adoption of certain masculine traits and fashions by women has historically been a way of claiming power and independence. The flappers of the 20's embraced a very slim, curveless silhouette as a way of becoming more androgynous, while at the same time they claimed their right to drive, to go out unaccompanied by a man, and to (gasp!) smoke and drink. The previously unheard-of phenomenon of women wearing pants also coincided with some major progress towards women's social equality. There are some problems, I think, with the association of masculinity and masculine traits with power, because that in turn devalues what is culturally seen as feminine. But this is the way our society interprets that symbolism now. Maybe a man wearing women's clothing in mainstream high fashion is an indication of more respect for the power of femininity. That would be great!

Ideally, though, we would have a general understanding that power resides neither with masculinity nor femininity, but with humanity.

Aaah, nothing like a good tangential post to start one's day off right.

Greta Garbo in a tux!

I have to agree, I like it when our tidy definitions are challenged. The first, fundamental category in which we slot other human beings is their gender, and the fashion industry is built first and foremost on that foundation.

Categories are handy but we can become slaves to them, and begin to think that people MUST be either male or female, one or the other, all the time. Choose only one! Sit! Stay! But in fact the boundaries are sometimes blurry biologically, and they can be downright irrelevant in presentation. Some people are completely interchangeable in the way they present themselves to the world, and that poses a healthy challenge to our comfortable boxes. The androgynous model is an awesome example of the latter. Sounds like Julie Wilde is another. Very, very cool.

There's a lot of fun to be found in challenging gender roles in sex play, too, and that's something available to all of us, not just the androgynous. There's a real goldmine you can tap into when sex moves past the physical and obvious, and you start to play with psychology and meaning.

*Sigh* It's been a while. Must make some plans...

Heh, might as well date myself. This post got me thinking of "Androgynous" by the Crash Test Dummies.

Crappy video, decent sound:

Hmm, takes me back.

What I find sad about the fashion industry is its total lack of diversity, they focus on one type of body. That said, I love androgyny. The model in the video has an interesting story. Gender playing on the catwalk makes it more interesting to me.

Here are some androgyny, gender play images I like:

The cute singer with the striking eyes I dreamed of when I was 12yrs old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0Jn-IRx6I

Androgynous Self / Picture by Anima Rising Exploring the :

Ho Grace!!!!

205895balaibrosseetsilhouetteandrogyne637x04.jpg

Guest ****ven

I saw this video and was quite mind boggled.

I mean the model is certainly beautiful, and looks to have the over-skinny bodies that most models do...however this should make us concerned that we are striving for female models (who are so-called ideally beautiful) who's body types look like an extremely thin males...

WTF

I'll keep my curves, thanks.