I have an old pick-up truck, paid for, (2001 Dodge Ram 4x4), it runs, does it's duty, but requires more maintenance due to its age, not to mention it's a pig on gas

BTW I need a vehicle for towing my boat, car won't do

I wouldn't get much for it on trade in, if anything.

Am I further ahead to buy a new, or newer used (ie 2010 up model) pick up for all round driving and towing

Or keep the truck, it's paid for, and once our contract at work (hopefully soon) is settled, buy cash outright a car or vehicle that's easy on gas, for going back and forth to work, for my traveling, and keep the truck for fishing only

Opinions welcome

Thanks

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy

I have an old pick-up truck, paid for, (2001 Dodge Ram 4x4), it runs, does it's duty, but requires more maintenance due to its age, not to mention it's a pig on gas

BTW I need a vehicle for towing my boat, car won't do

I wouldn't get much for it on trade in, if anything.

Am I further ahead to buy a new, or newer used (ie 2010 up model) pick up for all round driving and towing

Or keep the truck, it's paid for, and once our contract at work (hopefully soon) is settled, buy cash outright a car or vehicle that's easy on gas, for going back and forth to work, for my traveling, and keep the truck for fishing only

Opinions welcome

Thanks

RG

I think you answered your own question rg,in your last paragraph.Jmo,I probably shouldn't even respond as I am rather uppity when it comes to cars,I will only drive new and luxury,which realistically is stupid,as a vehicle should be about getting you from point a to point b ,be reliable and gas efficient.

• Like 1

Opinions welcome

Thanks

RG

I really like the part about paying cash outright. I did this the last time I purchased a vehicle and oh what a great feeling, no payments and you do save in the long run not paying interest.

Of course you still have to keep the truck licensed, insured and road worthy (repairs, etc.) so if you buy a car to save gas will you really save as much gas as all of that will cost? Not knowing how many miles it is from and to work as well as all the other details, I can't do the math for you... but you should be able to do the math on this one easily and figure out what is more cost effective.

I guess it comes down to if you need to buy a whole car to save gas and still repair the old truck, maybe you just need a new truck (so the expenses from the old one go away). Insurance, repairs on the old truck plus buying a car and insurance on that also ... anyways, I'm not sure the savings in gas (with a car) will make up for it. The math will give you your answer.

Of course don't buy a NEW truck (unless you are really rich), just a really good used one with lots of warranty left. One that someone has already lost 5 or 6 thousand dollars on the second they drove it off the lot new.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. Just got my truck back from the shop, told it has a fair bit of life in it...that's the good news

To buy another truck...and for the boat I have I need a full size V8 pick up or SUV, well I can't buy cash outright, even newer used...been pricing. Could put a fair downpayment, but not pay cash for the whole thing

An older truck, yes, but I'm trading one older truck for another...doesn't make sense

But I can buy a newer used car cash outright, maybe even one with some warranty on it.

And I drive about 50km/day to work, major savings for me in gas with a car

Think once our contract is settled, I'll be buying a car, something 4 cylinder

Thanks again

RG

• Like 1

Guest h**m****3

I'd keep the truck for truck things, as you need it more than you think, especially if you have one already and buy a newer smaller car with warranty for going to work. Drive the truck once a week to keep it in good order and you'll be good.

Angela

My boat is pretty new (2 years old) and pretty comfortable for a fishing day for two

My truck is pretty old (11-12 years old) but happily, after last check in to shop, has a few years left in her

But a little 4 cylinder car, easy on gas, makes trips to work, and Toronto and Ottawa a lot cheaper, plus saves wear and tear on truck

RG

Have you considered getting one of those kits to swap the fuel your truck runs on? You can run it on old grease, propane, shoot they've probably got others, but my father is the mechanic, not me.

You'll have to crunch the numbers, but the initial investment may pay for itself (and surely it'll increase resale value).

Posted via Mobile Device