Chanel,Manolo Blanik,Jimmy Choo,LV,Prada,Seven For All Mankind,Mercesdes,Apple,Samsung,ect,ect.Do you go for them for the prestige,or the quality,or are you happy to shop at Aldo,Joe Fresh,GM,ect,ect.

Some people consider those that have to be "branded" to be snobs,some believe people that have to where only brand names,insecure,others say it's all about class and privilidge,whats your opinion?

I have great loyalty to certain brands.

I've always owned a Motorola phone (even when the world passed them by patiently I waited for them to catch up, (perhaps it's because I toured the factory many years ago and was impressed with the quality control and rigorous testing) and I've always liked General Motors for a vehicle (oh, oh, now I'm in for it).

Sometimes we pick brand names because due to past experience we do know (or think we know) are are getting quality.

For more commodity type items, I'll buy the no name brand and spend my savings on a brand name SP :)

And even cristycurves is becoming a brand name in her own special way.

It depends on what it is... with a lot of things, you get what you pay for, so yes quality is important when you're dealing with things like electronics for instance. However, some things are very subjective. On one hand, I wear Tommy Hilfiger polo shirts because they're comfortable and I like the style. On the other hand, I'm just as likely to shop at Zellers, Walmart or Winners for a pair of jeans. I just buy what I feel like, but am not too conscious of "branding" or "status". At the end of the day, as long as you're happy with it, who really cares what anyone else thinks?

I can't say I'm wedded to any particular brand, but I do have a bias towards buying again from companies whose products have served me well in the past. But I really don't give a damn what's fashionable right now, and I won't buy something I don't need just because it's shiny (sorry, Apple :) )

When I was in high school brands meant a lot to me. When I think back I feel silly that I paid x amount of money for shirts, pants, or shoes. Now I don't care for brands that much. And I think that has a lot to do with having an understanding of the globalization of clothes. (There is a lot to say about the globalization of clothes but I will leave that for another discussion).

When it comes to buying things (as silly as it sounds) I have 'shopping ethics". For example, I will not buy a $100 tank top just because it has the brand logo printed somewhere. It doesn't make sense to me. Even if I did have that kind of cash I don't think I would be able to. When it comes to electronics that is a different story.

The issue that I am having is the word class itself. What does that really mean? I always thought that having class meant money. Do you need to have money to be labeled as 'classy' or is it just the way one behaves?

• Like 1

Guest S**a*Q

I love my Apple products. Apple isn't just shiny. They have impressed me time and again with their service and product. I am definitely an Apple girl. I will never purchase any other computer again. As for clothing, I prefer quantity over quality, cause I'm klutzy and spill stuff all the time. The one accessory I have that is a brand name is my Coach purse. I went through a cheap purse in less than a month, it fell apart on me, so I opted to get one that was better made. Very good decision... Next purse will be an expensive one again.

Cars... yeah sure I'd love to drive high end, but my finances will only allow me to drive a stupid Ford or something low end, if that considering I don't have a car at the moment.

I guess overall it depends on what the item is and where I am financially in life.

I buy whoever has the superior product at a decent price.

That being said I do not wear clothing emblazoned with brand names or logos. If they want me to be a walking billboard, they can pay me to wear their clothes.

The only brand that I am strictly loyal to is Soap Works out of Toronto. I use their liquid glycerine soap and their laundry powder. Why? Good price, the stuff lasts forever, and there are no additives whatsoever. My skin loves it!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

I remember in High School, you were the most popular kid in school when your parents got you your car, the latest cell phone or had weekend trips to New York City for all your shopping. I did think they were snobby back then, but that was because I had to work to get what I wanted. As of now when you are an adult, and hopefully still not under Daddy's Credit Cards, you can get whatever you want with the skills and tools you learned to earn yourself what you are worth.

In Halifax there is a Road downtown that has very high end clothing, mostly for females, that any can have access to. For me it is Mr. Big & Tall where I pick up my clothing. Ocean and Earth is my favourite clothing line from that store. Still have a hard time finding shoes my size (14 Double Wide), I go for whatever brand there is.

So for me, I go for brands that are "shiny" to my eye and wear them. First they have to fit, second they have to make me feel happy.

When it comes to clothes, its what feels comfortable to me, not what label is going to impress everyone else. Mind you at my age and with my friends, we don't get impressed by clothing brands anyway

I get focused on brands when I am buying certain items (case in point fishing gear) not because of the brand itself, but because the company in question makes a good product with good customer support

A quick rambling

RG

my opinion is coloured by the functionality of the product ... some brands are worth the price others are not

and I differentiate based on whether it is something that is supposed to last a long time or not

cars and other large durable goods ... you definately get a better product if you pay more (though anyone one can make a lemon occasionally) ... I had so many problems with Ford (when that was all I could afford) that I would never willingly buy their product again ... but I absolutely love my current vehicle, an Audi Q5

for some things, like clothes and accessories, you can get very good quality without breaking the bank ... Harry Rosen may look down his nose at the "cambridge club" but I've had very good luck with Cambrige suits and at $700 to $1000 they are real deal compared to HR ... I did buy a $200 belt at HR and really can't tell it from a $50-75 dollar belt from any other menswear store ... every Timex watch I bought lasted less than 6 months and then I paid $200 for a Citizen watch and have been wearing it for over 5 years

on the other hand ... jeans and t-shirts that will get worn while I BBQ and therefore have a limited life span based on stainage ... I buy those at Marks

I guess I am loyal to a brand as long as they continue to make a good/useful product

As far as clothes go, I live in Ottawa, nobody cares what they look like here. If I started wearing nice clothes everybody would probably assume I was from Montreal and start talking to me about smoked meat or the Jazz festival or something.

The only brand I really care about is Lindt. Nobody makes a better a chocolate in my opinion.

• Like 1

No, I'm not that loyal to brand names. For one thing, brand names have a tendency to be sold-out to inferior manufacturers.

That's the way the corporate world works these days. Once someone develops a reputation for quality, selling that reputation off to slap on inferior goods is viewed as more lucrative than reserving it for only those products meeting its standards. Sad, but true.

As for independent SPs, I think we're very different. Our brand reputations aren't so easily transferable to others as in other industries. Our reputations are a bit more durable, I think.