It was when I started wathching the thin man series that I fell in love with this guy,his acting.Any other fans out there,really ,most of the old turner classics are fun to watch,the clothes,cars,furniture,actors,it's so interesting,not to forget that most of the actors are just better!

I too am a big fan of William Powell, particularly from the Thin Man series but did many other great movies over several genres: drama (Crossroads), comedy (Love Crazy, Libeled Lady) and of course mysteries (Thin Man and Philo Vance series, the Ex Mrs. Bradford).

TCM also has spotlighted other great actors including Robert Mitchum, Cary Grant etc.

I find that these 3 actors in particular have a body of work that holds up very well these many years later. Their stories are still relevant today and have few dated references. In fact many of these movies are still being remade.

• Like 1

I'd like to see remakes of the Thin Man, I have seen them a few times over.

I also like Cary Grant movies, and really wish they had done an updated Philadelphia Story with George Clooney, Matt Perry (in Jimmy Stewart's role) and never had a good idea for the female lead. I know they would put whoever is popular that year in there, and that was not my preference lol

I haven't had the pleasure of watching any films with William Powell yet but I would definitely agree that the turner classics are really fun to watch. I only really started watching real classics in the last few years but it just seems the acting, the stories, and the overall quality of the films are better than today. And they do it with LESS! I've found in some cases I even prefer watching a black and white film just because it just seems to add to the atmosphere.

I've caught a few Humphrey Bogart movies recently such as Casablanca, the Maltese falcon and the big sleep and loved them. I've really only seen two Cary Grant films. North by Northwest, which was great, and charade with Audrey Hepburn. I have to admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for Audrey Hepburn films not just cause they're usually great films, but also because she was one fine Lady and I loved the characters she played.

My favourite older movies to watch though have to be the epics like Ben Hur, 10 Commandments, and Doctor Zhivago. They just don't make epics anywhere near that good any more. The closest would probably be LOTR.