The Expanding Project

Ha! Wonder how many have gone through this.

I said to myself one morning, "Well, hey, maybe it would be a good thing to do to re-wallpaper that old spare bedroom. It'll only take a weekend. Nothing to it." Famous last words.

Well, hey, I stripped off the first layer of old paper but it gouged into the layer underneath that, and I ended up taking off four layers of wallpaper with the bottom layer having been glued there with some early 1900's version of crazy glue. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, its a 100 year old house, maybe it would be good to repair the old original plaster. So, the cracks were opened, filled, sanded, refilled, sanded, and the dust seemed to permeate everything. Ceiling and walls and mouldings painted. Mission accomplished. Room ready to go.

Well, hey, maybe since I went this far I will get rid of that old carpet and put in something new. Out came the old carpet, then the two layers of linoleum underneath that. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, since I am having flooring guys here, maybe I will put hardwood in the upstairs hallway. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, maybe since I will have hardwood in the hall, it is natural to bring it down the stairs. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, it would be a shame to throw away those old original hand carved newel posts and bannisters, so it shouldn't be too hard to strip the paint off and keep some of the original woodwork. I can do that.

Well, hey, the heat gun helped get the multiple layers of paint off but hey, look at the old black stain that seems to have seeped right into the wood, like a mm deep or more. I can scrape and sand that out, and of course, recarve the newel posts. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, I seem to have plaster dust and sawdust in every room in the house. Well, hey, its spring. One is supposed to do spring cleaning.

Mission - not accomplished. :)

That weekend project sort of got away from me!

So, what's your story? I heard one once about the guy that had a leaky tap in the kitchen and before they were done thet had spent $30 000.

Ha! Wonder how many have gone through this.

I said to myself one morning, "Well, hey, maybe it would be a good thing to do to re-wallpaper that old spare bedroom. It'll only take a weekend. Nothing to it." Famous last words.

Well, hey, I stripped off the first layer of old paper but it gouged into the layer underneath that, and I ended up taking off four layers of wallpaper with the bottom layer having been glued there with some early 1900's version of crazy glue. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, its a 100 year old house, maybe it would be good to repair the old original plaster. So, the cracks were opened, filled, sanded, refilled, sanded, and the dust seemed to permeate everything. Ceiling and walls and mouldings painted. Mission accomplished. Room ready to go.

Well, hey, maybe since I went this far I will get rid of that old carpet and put in something new. Out came the old carpet, then the two layers of linoleum underneath that. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, since I am having flooring guys here, maybe I will put hardwood in the upstairs hallway. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, maybe since I will have hardwood in the hall, it is natural to bring it down the stairs. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, it would be a shame to throw away those old original hand carved newel posts and bannisters, so it shouldn't be too hard to strip the paint off and keep some of the original woodwork. I can do that.

Well, hey, the heat gun helped get the multiple layers of paint off but hey, look at the old black stain that seems to have seeped right into the wood, like a mm deep or more. I can scrape and sand that out, and of course, recarve the newel posts. Decision made. Mission accomplished.

Well, hey, I seem to have plaster dust and sawdust in every room in the house. Well, hey, its spring. One is supposed to do spring cleaning.

Mission - not accomplished. :)

That weekend project sort of got away from me!

So, what's your story? I heard one once about the guy that had a leaky tap in the kitchen and before they were done thet had spent $30 000.

Been there done that, I know exactly what you mean. I was going to change some windows on the house last fall, the wife convinced me to change them all since eventually they would have to be anyway.

While at it put french doors in the bedroom because it would be nice to have some. Done. Reroute some electrical wires for it. Done. Change from carpet to hardwood floor because it was getting old. Done. Need new curtains since no more window $$$$. Change the moulding to match the wood floor.

Now that spring is here and we have french doors in the bedroom but we don't have a deck to join the existing deck I need to build that too. Whats next a hot tub on the deck?

Renovation never cost little.

I was lucky... I bought my condominium from the developer, who was in the process of renovating the entire building. I had it gutted right down to the studs, and then had the whole unit redone from scratch, complete with some layout changes. The best part was, I had someone else do the work for me, since I have two left hands when it comes to that sort of thing. lol.