Not only did I spend my birthday alone this week, which completely sucked, came home today to find my beloved cat of 19 years sitting on the stairs very quiet.

I picked her up, cuddled her, she looked at me, mieowed, lifted her head to look at me and passed away on me.

She was a unique cat, a Hemingway, she had 6 toes on each foot, and two thumbs! I cried for about an hour before I called for the vet to have someone take her.

So I don't think things could get any worse for me this week, if they did, don't know what I would do.

• Like 1

I am so very sorry to hear that your beloved pet passed away. I've always had pets, and their passing has always been a moment of tremendous sadness. They truly are our best and most faithful companions.

Thinking of you had wishing you well.

Porthos

Thank you, I never knew just how much she meant to me until this happened, thank you for the thoughts

I am so very sorry to hear that your beloved pet passed away. I've always had pets, and their passing has always been a moment of tremendous sadness. They truly are our best and most faithful companions.

Thinking of you had wishing you well.

Porthos

Sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved companion. Many of us have recently gone through the same and our hearts are with you.

What to do now? Remember the companionship and keep that in your heart.

Look towards the next many years of a new companion.

Posted via Mobile Device

I am very sorry for you and your cat,hopefully time will help you heal and perhaps adopting a resue cat to share your love may help.You shouldn't have spent your birthday alone with all your cerb friends here,I am one, and I am thinking of you,wishing you well,Cristy

Thank you cristy, it is very appreciated. My cat was a rescue cat, she was part of a set of sisters, the other one died a few weeks ago and I think this one died of loneliness from her sister, they were never apart.

I kinda know how she feels, I haven't spoken to one of my sisters in over 18 years, no love lost there. My family does not talk to me and I've always felt like an outsider within my family, somehow like I didn't quite fit. They never came to any graduations or acknowledged any accomplishments that I ever had.

We were poor as church mice and when I got scholarships to attend university I couldn't go as my family couldn't afford the ancillary fees.

I've fended for myself since the age of 16 and never really looked back.

I haven't spoken to my parents since I don't know when, I am not even sure where they live anymore, and I have no idea where one of my sisters is located.

I spent my life working my way through university and never regretted it.

The being alone I can handle, its the being lonely that I can't But life goes on and I have to carry on.

Thank you for the kind words, they are very much appreciated

I am very sorry for you and your cat,hopefully time will help you heal and perhaps adopting a resue cat to share your love may help.You shouldn't have spent your birthday alone with all your cerb friends here,I am one, and I am thinking of you,wishing you well,Cristy

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is loose a pet. Those furry creatures have a way of working their way into our hearts and it's always tough to loose them. Wishing you well!

I am so sorry for your loss Victoria, its so hard to loose one of our "babies". As a pet owner and a huge animal lover I know how difficult it can be. Love how she waited for you to say goodbye :( Take care & big hug!

Ohhhh hunni!! I am sooo soo sorry for your loss. I just recently lost an old girl of mine too:(

Why alone on B'day hun? Your so wonderful, unique and sweet! you should never feel alone, especailly on your B'day!! Next year....contact me, ...we will plan for a day of fun and girly stuff!!

You have many here that will love and give you the support you need!

My heart goes out to you. We have three (not by choice) but the nicest of all found us and came to my door one day with a completely broken paw and near death from starvation. A lot of money on vet bills later, she is the nicest cat I have ever known.

I knew that if we didn't take her in, it was a virtual death sentence. During the 6 weeks it took for her paw to heal we kept her in a spare bedroom with a kitty litter, food, a radio (for some faint ambient background noise so she'd never really feel alone) and each evening I would take my note book computer or a good book and lay on the floor next to her for hours to keep her company.

Now she follows me everywhere though out our very large house, more like a puppy dog than a cat. Every morning without fail she is waiting for me to wake up so she can make the trek downstairs with me for my morning coffee, I don't really understand this ritual but it seems of the utmost importance to her. I know she will be waiting for me this evening when I come home (as she knows exactly when that will be without the aid of a watch).

They really are or do quickly become members of our family with their own personalities.

• Like 6

I can relate to what your going through Victoria. A few years back, actually Jan 2010 my cat, Max died on my lap. Got him from a shelter, and he adopted me.

Had him for eleven year. Just like losing a family member.

I thought out of respect for him, wasn't going to get another cat right away.

Hard coming home, always heard him come to the door to greet me

I still have a photograph of him tacked to a bulletin board over my desk...he isn't forgotten.

It took me a year but I adopted a grey feral kitten (he doesn't crave going outdoors) who was saved from going back to the feral colony (Humane Society said at his age this was best).

My thoughts and prayers are with you Victoria

RG

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your cat passing Victoria. It is not an easy situation to deal with and I know how hard it is because my cat passed away in January and he also died in my arms cradling him on my bed. The feelings you're experiencing muist be difficult because I literally cried my eyes out for a few days. Take solace in the fact that she is in a better place now and that she knew she had a good home all those year.

I don't know if this is any consolation but think back to a month or two before your cat passed away. Was she seeking extra attention and very attached to you? If so, this was probably your cat's way of spending their last time with you in generally good health. Instinctively, they know when they are going to get sick and/or die.

My cat followed me everyday for weeks at a time. I remember another SP being with me at my house and he latched on to her as well the whole night and never left our side. A few times I got annoyed but remembered from a few months before that the family cat did this before she died. I felt horrible and guilty for pushing him away a few times. My cat even followed my friend to the front door as he probably knew that was the last time he would see her. A month and a half later, he was gone. My other cat who is from the same litter is also slowing down and now he is following me everywhere. He seems very lonely at times and sleeps a lot so I'm trying to give him the attention he needs since my third cat is gone most of the time trolling for girlfriends.lol.

Your cat loved you and you already know that and her waiting to say goodbye was a testament of her love for you. Take comfort in that. I've always have a soft spot for cats and absolutely love them. We raised over 50 of them on a large propert over the course of 20 years since I was young. They were always part of our family as pets should be. I'm glad you got to say goodbye to her. This is the way it should be.

I really feel for you. Hugs to you! xo

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am sorry for your loss . A few years back I lost 2 Cocker Spaniels in the space of 10 weeks and I still feel the loss a a deace later. I will always remember them with fondness and their successor has filled me with moments of fun and great joy.