I've been on a bender of silly literature lately. Chistopher Moore is a new favorite (thank you lowdark for introducing me to his work!). I also discovered a series by Quirk Classics which includes: Sense And Sensibility And Sea Monsters, Pride Prejudice And Zombies, and apparently a book about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

I'm thirsty for more, so please, share some of your favorite irreverantly silly books!

Posted via Mobile Device

I've been on a bender of silly literature lately. Chistopher Moore is a new favorite (thank you lowdark for introducing me to his work!). I also discovered a series by Quirk Classics which includes: Sense And Sensibility And Sea Monsters, Pride Prejudice And Zombies, and apparently a book about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

I'm thirsty for more, so please, share some of your favorite irreverantly silly books!

Posted via Mobile Device

I believe a movie is in the works of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Porthos

I love Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged!

HHGTTG is already a much-loved part of my library! Have you seen the old BBC series? It's old, so the SFX are not very good, but it's way better than the movie.

The trekkie book is definitely being added to my reading list!

Posted via Mobile Device

I like Tim Dorsey's quirky sarcasm. Although his books do not necessarily need to be read in chronological order I read them this way. Helps you understand some of the characters as they show up in numerous books. His first is Florida Roadkill.

I love Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged!

HHGTTG is already a much-loved part of my library! Have you seen the old BBC series? It's old, so the SFX are not very good, but it's way better than the movie.

The trekkie book is definitely being added to my reading list!

Posted via Mobile Device

HHGTTG is one of my favs.

The movie was atrocious ... There's also a BBC radio serialization that pre-dates the t.v. Series. It's hard to find but awesome.

Porthos

Posted via Mobile Device

I've never heard of it, but I think I'll be watching it soon now

Pretty much everything by Terry Pratchett. It's all very silly, and frequently hilarious, but it sometimes throws you a serious curve-ball too. He's most famous for his Discworld books, although the one book of his that I really love is Good Omens.

Minor hijack: Ford Prefect wannabees can head over to http://h2g2.com/ and contribute. The site seems a bit flaky right now, but putting God's Final Message To His Creation on the front page is a nice touch under the circumstances.

A couple of Canadian authors to consider....

Terry Fallis has three books - he will make you laugh and make you tear up. The Best Laid Plans and the sequel, The High Road are light hearted political novels set in the Ottawa area - if you are from here you will be able to map out the books in your head. His last novel, Up and Down, is about a senior citizen astronaut... and it is amazing.

Alan Bradley has now 5 books... they are silly little capricious mystery books centred around a precocious 11 year old girl named Flavia de Luce.... it's a Harry Potteresque and very entertaining... start with "the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie".. and get hooked!

I have to agree on Christopher Moore - I have read everything the man has written and he does entertain - he even entertains in real life on Twitter @theAuthorGuy.

If you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy and Terry Pratchett, then the "Thursday Next" books by Jasper Fforde would likely be right up your alley.

The first in the series is called "The Eyre Affair":

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27003.The_Eyre_Affair

They're very witty books about a female detective who gets recruited to solve literature crimes...inside the stories themselves.

• Like 1