Sometimes it's the big things, the things that are beyond your control that stress you out. Those things, I have learned to accept and try to find ways to deal with them in a healthy way.

It's the small things that always take me down! I have lived thru my fair share of huge setbacks that I have had to live thru but I find myself almost derailed by the little things.

Today's stress is a contractor, who was paid a hefty deposit so that service would occur today before 3pm. He arrived 5 mins ago. I have had to ask a very considerate gentleman to come later than his scheduled apt time. I have a very specific routine that I like to follow before and encounter and schedule my time accordingly. This contractor's lack of scheduling and the fact that I had to call him instead of vice versa has me sitting here, on edge, frustrated and STRESSED.

So, what are the small things that stress you out?

• Like 1

We may have more in common than we thought Meg. Like you I have for the most part been able to remove myself from the stresses caused by things that are beyond my control.

I also probably never did get overly stressed by the "little" things, but that has happened and continues to on occassion.

Living in a home with my wife and three daughters who in the natural order of things grew up to be women, I learned patience over a long period of time. Not being on time used to be a pet peeve but I learned from them that hurrying does nothing but prolong and that stress disappeared.

Waiting for the girls to be out of the bathroom was a major stress for what really was a very little thing. Well, putting in the second bathroom relieved that little stress, especially when I insured that it was not as 'nice' as the main bathroom. It's a functional bathroom and not a girly bathroom. Stress - presto, disappeared. :)

Drivers who poke along can be an irritant, but in the whole scheme of things, how much difference does it make to be five minutes later than planned for.

What's left for my little stress causer? How about unpacking the groceries and discovering that word "light" (read that as tasteless) in small print on a jar of mayo or salad dressing.

Actually I have probably a number of stressers, but as I get older I continue to ask myself the question, "Does it really make much difference." Meg, you are just too darned young! :) Enjoy it.

One of my biggest "little thing" stressful situations....is when you run out of your stress relief drugs....... COFFEE !!!!! Wednesday I got up at 5 AM....knowing I had an important presentation to make to the board at 8 AM...went to the cupboard....Out of fucking COFFEE ! No Tim Hortons on the corner where I live....no no no ! Looked at the beer and decided not a good idea. Drove to Dad's to make coffee and he was at the lake, locked the door and apparently moved the key !!! Drove 25 miles to the nearest damn convenience store to get a freakin coffee !!! Ahhhhhhhhh .... meeting went well :)

• Like 1

The cause of some of my stress relates to time issues.

First, I don't know if I would call it a small thing but it really stresses me out when people disregard my time without acknowledgement. Life happens and if you're running late a simple call/text is appreciate.

I've been in instances where I've been waiting on a friend for almost an hour. No call or text and when I saw them they just act like nothing happened. Because I am not a confrontational person it would eat away at me during our time together. I've learnt to deal with it and it no longer bugs me as much as it used to. I just don't wait anymore.

Secondly, I am one of those people that hates being late. I usually try to be about 15-20 mins early (regardless of where I'm going). When I'm running late I feel overwhelemd and I start to freak out. I usually have to just sit for 5 mins and tell myself "you're going to be late regardless so stop rushing and stressing".

Gena

the only time i get stressed is when i think of meeting you Meg for the first time !!!!! (incredible beauty does that to me )

Edited by renegade
an addition
  • Like 1

One of my biggest "little thing" stressful situations....is when you run out of your stress relief drugs....... COFFEE !!!!! Wednesday I got up at 5 AM....knowing I had an important presentation to make to the board at 8 AM...went to the cupboard....Out of fucking COFFEE ! No Tim Hortons on the corner where I live....no no no ! Looked at the beer and decided not a good idea. Drove to Dad's to make coffee and he was at the lake, locked the door and apparently moved the key !!! Drove 25 miles to the nearest damn convenience store to get a freakin coffee !!! Ahhhhhhhhh .... meeting went well :)

Lee Richards...I'm shocked, a professional like yourself :) When I'm down to a half a dozen cans I get a little antsy lol. I never ever run out of coffee, fags and well you know that mrgreen thing :)

Peace

MG

Lee Richards...I'm shocked, a professional like yourself :) When I'm down to a half a dozen cans I get a little antsy lol. I never ever run out of coffee, fags and well you know that mrgreen thing :)

Peace

MG

Yes I am slipping with age MrGreen...

Traditionally I have always had lots of and never run out of ...beer, smokes, wine, cheez whiz, bread, coffee and clean underwear .

Been busy lately....so inventory this on Wednesday morning :

Beer....check. Smokes...check. Bread..check. Cheez Whiz...check. Coffee....SHIT NO !. Clean underwear...I think so.

Having a double payment come out of my bank account when in reality it turned out to be an error on the creditor's side. Stuff like that makes me scream esp when budgeting for withdrawls to come out on certain days. Thank God for overdraft and fortunate enough to have extra money in there! And then you have to make phonecalls, etc. Not fun at all but I worked it out.

When I'm on my way to meet a client and I've got 5 people texting ( 3 of which are family or friends) me at once and I'm driving. Then they start texting asking why I'm not answering. Just phone me damn it! But when you're not busy doing anything, no one calls.

Like many people who've already replied to this thread, I try not to let the 'bigger things' I can't change bog me down. But sometimes I find it incredibly difficult to let go of the expectations I have. Let me explain...

For example, unorganized people stress me out. I expect people to know where their material belongings are located. I get stressed if someone is looking for something of theirs that they simply misplaced because they were absent-minded. It frustrates me. But this simply reflects my attachment to time. In all likelihood, they'll find the object within moments... so what's the big deal? I honestly don't understand why it stresses me out so much when my friend misplaces her glasses and can't find them for 5 minutes. I suppose it's more frustrating because it happens every-time, everyday, and potentially multiple times a day. Yet.. what's the big deal, really? It's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I suppose it isn't entirely surprising I find cleaning, organizing, cooking, and driving to be very soothing activities.

Guest S**a*Q

What stresses me out?

Stupid people who try to tell me I'm wrong, when I'm clearly never wrong.

Animals, mostly dogs due to their crotch/ass sniffing issues and because they try to lick or jump up on me. (Which is terribly disgusting cause they've probably been stepping in/or eating their own faeces.)

Babies. I will not touch them. What do I do if I drop it accidentally?

No. Thank. You.

Children aka larger babies. EW! Period.

Carbon-based flesh sausages is what those things are. BLEUCH!

Winter and all things that make me uncomfortably cold.

Drunk people, when I'm not drunk.

(Even worse are the stupid people mentioned above, when they are drunk.)

Waiting for anything/anyone that is late.

People who send "Hi!" chat messages then make me wait when I respond immediately. DON'T TALK TO ME IF YOU AREN'T READY TO RESPOND.

Animal hair on my stuff, in my mouth, in my food and everywhere except ON THE ANIMAL.

(Not that fond of animal hair there either, but at least it makes sense.)

... I'm sure there's more, but that's all I have for now. :D

What stresses me out?

Stupid people who try to tell me I'm wrong, when I'm clearly never wrong.

Animals, mostly dogs due to their crotch/ass sniffing issues and because they try to lick or jump up on me. (Which is terribly disgusting cause they've probably been stepping in/or eating their own faeces.)

Babies. I will not touch them. What do I do if I drop it accidentally?

No. Thank. You.

Children aka larger babies. EW! Period.

Carbon-based flesh sausages is what those things are. BLEUCH!

Winter and all things that make me uncomfortably cold.

Drunk people, when I'm not drunk.

(Even worse are the stupid people mentioned above, when they are drunk.)

Waiting for anything/anyone that is late.

People who send "Hi!" chat messages then make me wait when I respond immediately. DON'T TALK TO ME IF YOU AREN'T READY TO RESPOND.

Animal hair on my stuff, in my mouth, in my food and everywhere except ON THE ANIMAL.

(Not that fond of animal hair there either, but at least it makes sense.)

... I'm sure there's more, but that's all I have for now. :D

LMAO Sara....well if we cross paths out west I guess I definately won't get drunk without you and then ask you to babysit my cute little flesh-sausage daughter ;)

For me not having coffee us totally unacceptable. Once during a city wide balck out I drank instant coffee cold, it was gross but I got my fix!!!

I make mine the night before in a French press and heat it up in one minute ten seconds. By two minutes on the floor I am a human being again. :biggrin:

• Like 1