Female writers discuss erotic fiction

Guest W***ledi*Time

Interesting read. I know that as I grew up and engaged in relationships, I had to work my way though and shed, one at a time, my own set of cultural clichés about women and their attitudes toward sex.

I've also known women -- well, men too but who were as much a prisoner of those cilchés when it comes to understanding themselves, as men have been when trying to understand the opposite sex. We all have our work cut out for us when it comes to the dynamics of sex.

Culture is slow to learn and change, especially in those darker corners where the light hasn't been allowed to shine in the past. Good thing is, the pace of change is accelerating and the Internet gives voices to lots and lots of people who can share their real experiences, and we all learn more and faster that way. People ashamed of their desires in the past can easily discover "hey, it's not just me!" and that's the beginning of a great conversation.

"Bottle Rocket Hearts" and "Holding Still for as long as Possible" by Zoe Whittall (one of the authors interviewed) are two of my favourite Canadian novels.

I initially read "Bottle Rocket Hearts" because it was nominated for Canada Reads 2011 on CBC. Set during the 1995 Quebec Referendum, the main character is a young queer woman trying to figure out life and relationships. The main characters evolving sexuality was interesting and the narrative really captivated me!

Thanks for posting this WiT! It provided me with a lot to think about on my way down to Quebec City today.

"Bottle Rocket Hearts" and "Holding Still for as long as Possible" by Zoe Whittall (one of the authors interviewed) are two of my favourite Canadian novels.

I initially read "Bottle Rocket Hearts" because it was nominated for Canada Reads 2011 on CBC. Set during the 1995 Quebec Referendum, the main character is a young queer woman trying to figure out life and relationships. The main characters evolving sexuality was interesting and the narrative really captivated me!

I love, love, love those books.

I like her poems too.