...is worthwhile.

Posting because I've just run across this:

This guy is 69 years old, but half of his face looks much, much older than that. He was a trucker and, for 28 years, his face received much more sunlight on the left side, resulting on premature aging.

original.jpg

Wow, this is amazing! I always notice my left arm seems darker than my right, but this is horrible. One good result of his situation is - he is definitely not Vitamin D- defficient.

I never leave the house without it, but honestly, I do so because otherwise my tattoos would fade, the actual sun protection is secondary for me :P

Guest *ig*a**

Sunsreen is important i remember an aunt once always went south for the winter even though she was 60 her face was so weathered she looked alot older

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest S**a*Q

People don't understand how bad tanning is for your skin.

And at what cost, a nice glow for the summer?

Not worth cancer or looking old for me.

I decided to cover my skin in colour instead of a tan. :D

Oooh perfect response for when people ask me:

"What are you going to do when you're 80?"

"Hmmm, let's see. Not have skin cancer..."

I soak myself in sunscreen when I go outside during the summer.

When I was 16 I went kayaking with a friend without sunscreen. It wasn't nice outside - there were rain showers - but we went out for 2 hours. I remember we went to the cinema afterward and I couldn't get out of my seat. By the time I stretched out my legs (which at this point felt like dried elastic bands) and went outside, my friends stared at me with a lock of utter horror. My face, arms, and legs were tomato red. The worst sunburn I'd ever received in my life.

I had to go to the hospital for 2nd degree burns!

Ouch!

Bald noggin, don't wear hats in the summer....enough said! Sunscreen is my friend. First thing out of the shower is sunscreen application. Odd thing is I've never had a better tan lol

Peace

MG

Until recently I thought I didn't need sunscreen because of my darker skin. It turns out it's actually a myth and everyone should be wearing sunscreen. I hate the smell but I do wear it now.

It's not just sunscreen, but if you're going to be outside for extended periods covering up makes a lot of sense. Long sleeves and pants, and a hat with a rim that extends all the way around, nothing like getting a burn on the nose, the ear lobes, and the back of the neck.

Another really important consideration, is having a good pair of shades. I have glasses so ever time I get a new prescription, I invest in a good set of polarized lenses. especially if you're on the water where there's lots of glare, or out when there's snow on the ground.

Another really important consideration, is having a good pair of shades. I have glasses so ever time I get a new prescription, I invest in a good set of polarized lenses. especially if you're on the water where there's lots of glare, or out when there's snow on the ground.

Very true. I'm not sure why, but I also have very sensitive eyes and brightness can give me a headache sometimes. I always wear sunglasses outside :)

Boomer mentions about the need for shade with snow on the ground. I remember I was skiing in Whistler one winter. The weather was warm, so we had lunch outside near the top of the mountain without our ski goggles, toque and so on. I must have stayed out for not more than half an hour. When I got home, the next few days the skin on my face and my lips were peeling! I had also the darkest tan I'd ever remembered! It turned out that the reflection from the snow and the altitute made the UV much stronger and more dangerous. Now I am a lot more careful and I have sunscreen whenever I go out in the sun.

Yep. Water reflects about 90% of the UV that hits it (I think, I'm going from memory here)... both in solid and liquid state. Cover up appropriately!

Burning the bottom of your nose *really* hurts!

Guest *ebu**

Losing a friend to melanoma settles the issue, in my opinion. Cover up, for goodness sakes!