Favorite things to do in Montreal

I am in Montreal aaaaaaaaaall the time, but usually it's just to visit friends so I don't get out in the city to eat/shop/hang out too much. In a couple of weeks, I'll be bringing a friend there for their first visit to my favorite city and I want to make sure I show them everything the city has to offer.

What are some of your favorite restaurants/attractions/bars/things to do there? I want to show my friend a fabulous weekend!

There was a good thread on Montreal last summer that you can read here :

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59667 to get you started.

If you and your friend like microbreweries, there are several on St-Denis street between st-catherine and sherbrooke street : "Les trois Brasseurs" and "L'Amere a boire" are my faces. "Frites Alors!" is a belgium style bistro and not too expensive, with a nice fun decor (at 1710 st-denis street). There is also a crepe restaurant just up of Sherbrooke (still on st-Denis) but haven't tried it yet. IF you'd rather have Greek food, there are several on Prince-Arthur street, which ends up on the Square St-Louis. OF course, for smoked meat sandwiches, Schwarts is still king, but they recently had a fire there but they should be re-open by now.

In the Old Montreal, i spotted a "MAple Museum". And there is the Fantasia Film Festival that should starts soon as well.

That's all i can think of at the moment....

There was a good thread on Montreal last summer that you can read here :

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59667 to get you started.

If you and your friend like microbreweries, there are several on St-Denis street between st-catherine and sherbrooke street : "Les trois Brasseurs" and "L'Amere a boire" are my faces. "Frites Alors!" is a belgium style bistro and not too expensive, with a nice fun decor (at 1710 st-denis street). There is also a crepe restaurant just up of Sherbrooke (still on st-Denis) but haven't tried it yet. IF you'd rather have Greek food, there are several on Prince-Arthur street, which ends up on the Square St-Louis. OF course, for smoked meat sandwiches, Schwarts is still king, but they recently had a fire there but they should be re-open by now.

In the Old Montreal, i spotted a "MAple Museum". And there is the Fantasia Film Festival that should starts soon as well.

That's all i can think of at the moment....

Ooop, search engine is my friend, thanks for the link! With that thread and your suggestion above, I think we'll have plenty of options for restaurants!

I'm thinking of spending an evening in old montreal, but looking for something more upbeat the next evening. ANyone have recommendations for clubs/bars that are fun, not too swanky but not too divey, for an early-30s crowd?

• Like 1

Much like you when I go to Montreal it's mainly to see friends. But I've been to Foufounes a couple of times. It's a pretty good club for people like us, what some would call the "alternative" crowd. Very friendly wait staff, comfortable atmosphere, never too crowded, at least not in my experience. I don't drink anymore but I seem to recall my friends commenting that the drinks were decently priced.

Not a "unce unce" kind of music club by any stretch of the imagination. The music is mostly punk/metal/rock/alternative kind of stuff. I like the place.

Been to some other pubs and stuff but I honestly can't remember names. That's the only one that sticks out in my mind.

http://www.foufounes.qc.ca/news/

Have a blast!! :)

Additional Comments:

And not sure when you're going but I just looked at the website, and just saw that Fear Factory will be playing there on July 18th, if you're into that kind of metal.

Edited by castle

I actually like to drive or walk around admiring or even taking photo's of real artful graffiti. I had some shots actually blown up and placed on my walls at home when my ex and I were together

Montreal is such a great city especially for shopping, I haven't been there in a while but I always loved browns shoes and felix brown shoe store.There are some great shops in westmount square . Also, the night life, and all the great places to eat. I'll have to go soon thinking about it makes me miss it, one of Canada's sexiest cities!

• Like 1

Ah, Montreal, Montreal. They say Montreal is a woman: sexy, classy, sensual

Montreal is well know for its restaurants and you can eat well at all prices: For a firstimer in Montreal, "Swartz" on St Laurent, the best smoke meat worldwide. It's a kind of diner, always crowdy, but the smoke meat...mmmm

Italian cuisine: there are a lot in "Petite Italie" near Jean-Talon blvd and St-Laurent, I would suggest "The Tre Marie", its on St-Urbain Street. Very tasty, and the gnocchis are a blessing. And have a look at the well renown Jean-Talon Market, just to walk around is a pleasure for the senses.

French cuisine: "Chez Levesque", on Laurier Street, bistro type cuisine, not cheap though. Nice choice of wine.

For shopping, a lot of choices and obviously St-Catherine Street downtown. If you want to experience a bit of "chic", Laurier Street west, small designers boutiques, pastry shops, etc, a place where we say "it's bcbg ( bon chic bon genre)

For alternative setting, and for some shows, I support the suggestion already made by Castle, "The foufounes electriques", a music bar where you will always be surprised.

Breakfast dining is also a nice way to see Montrealers in their natural setting. Many good places for a more refined breakfast than eggs and bacon. I suggest the "Restaurant l'Enchanteur" on de Castelnau (not too far from Petite Italie): eggs benedict, full of fresh fruits, café au lait, crepes

Have a ball in Montreal.

• Like 1

For shopping, a lot of choices and obviously St-Catherine Street downtown. If you want to experience a bit of "chic", Laurier Street west, small designers boutiques, pastry shops, etc, a place where we say "it's bcbg ( bon chic bon genre)

Ah yes, shopping, especially clothes. Clothes shopping in Montreal is much better in Montreal than here in Ottawa. Simons, on St-Catherine always has a good selection and good prices for both men's and women's clothes. Got some great pieces (both for me and a lady friend) very recently. "Promenades Cathedrale", an underground shopping mall, under a small church, has LOTS of small stores, and you can get easily lost in meandering around.

St-Denis street also has lots of nice little stores. Two that i like (between sherbrooke and the Square St-Louis): Rio-x20, a "punkish" store that carries lots of shoes, and serves as my supply of Doc Martens shoes.

On the more fun side, and completly related to this board, there is a store (still on st-denis) called "La Capoterie" - yes, it's a condom store for those who are familiar with the french term ... ;-)

Edited by m*s**rt
typo

I love eating at Le Commensal on La rue St-Denis close to Berri-UQAM. It's a vegetarian buffet restaurant but Cleo, it really doesn't compare to the Green Door or the Table. It's truly delicious and I love the atmosphere there.

There's also a location downtown on La rue St-Catherine near McGill University.

Ottawa nightlife scene is limited I find. (in terms of clubs, etc.)

So... when theres a big enough party I usually ended up in Circus (http://circushd.com/)

Great sound, light and atmosphere all around!

• Like 1

Ottawa nightlife scene is limited I find. (in terms of clubs, etc.)

So... when theres a big enough party I usually ended up in Circus (http://circushd.com/)

Great sound, light and atmosphere all around!

This used to be my favorite club when I wanted to dance all night long!

I haven't been there in a few years but I can say that the DJs were always exceptional (visiting or local) and like you said, great sound and lighting, ect. One should also mention the sexy dancers ;)

Awwwe, how I miss those days...

• Like 1

Just thought i'd revive this thread ... the Mezzanine bar (very loungy) and the ground floor bar at Hotel W are a must in a visit while in Montreal. Met a good number of interesting people there, the bar staff included.

When I was younger... i made regular trips to Montreal and a favorite thing to do was go to the Ballet.....some of our favorite dance recitals were at Wandas....Super Sex...Chez Paree.

I am older an more refined now (that's code for married and can't drink like I used too)... so if i go now it us for hockey, shopping and great restaurants.

Love Love Love Montreal

Such a beautiful city

I love going to Carlos and Pepe's for some good Mexican food

And I always love to enjoy a nice relaxing afternoon at Scandinave Spa, absolutely beautiful there :)

For me, very simply.. I cant go downtown Montreal and not have a smoked meat sandwich and a beer..

:-)

Go to the Biodome! The tropical section is a good escape from the dry cold winter weather outside. Highly recommended. Head down to the old port to one of the jazz clubs, the Modavie, who knows you may run into a celebrity or two. If clubbing is something you like, forget about downtown and go to Laval a bit north at Moomba Theater. Finally, don't forget to pass by Wanda's strip club downtown. More intimate, clean and hassle free than any other club in town. A bit pricey but worth it to get into the mood :D

Have a great time! Montreal is made for fun.

Get a room at the Hilton Bonaventure in the winter time, and then swim in the outdoor rooftop pool, with big bonfires on the deck and watch the snowflakes fall.

• Like 2

Get a room at the Hilton Bonaventure in the winter time, and then swim in the outdoor rooftop pool, with big bonfires on the deck and watch the snowflakes fall.

ok ... I want to do this :)