Just checked my voicemail on my cellphone. Marina said there was a potential buyer for my boat, willing to pay asking price. If he can get financing (please bank, be nice to him) my boat is sold. And with the amount I'm asking, not only is my line of credit paid off, I've got a little extra playmoney for myself, maybe get an extra encounter and meet a new lady

Oh, please sell boat, please

RG

Geeze RG. That's kind of drastic isn't it. Just because Angela got shut out doesn't mean you had to get rid of the boat. :) We have great faith in your fishing ability!

• Like 1

Geeze RG. That's kind of drastic isn't it. Just because Angela got shut out doesn't mean you had to get rid of the boat. :) We have great faith in your fishing ability!

Actually Angela and Cat were with me on the last voyage of the boat before it went up to the marina to be sold

Seriously, it was a hard decision, but done on advice of my financial planner. But once the decision made to sell, I want it sold. I'll miss the boat, but I won't miss the monthly payments on my line of credit.

Just hoping the guy gets financing to buy the boat...keeping my fingers crossed

RG

• Like 4

Guest jake_cdn

RG,

Hope this will not put an end to your fishing career. I don't think that I could ever part with my boat. Must have been one of the toughest things that you have had to do.

"they're biting somewhere"

Yes it was tough, really tough. But as my financial guy told me, it's just a thing, you can always buy a boat later.

The best part is no more line of credit payments, that debt gone. Still waiting to find out if the potential buyer got a loan, hopefully hear something tomorrow or Friday

RG

Still waiting to find out if the potential buyer got a loan, hopefully hear something tomorrow or Friday

So you're selling your boat to pay off your debts, and selling it to someone who's taking out a loan to buy it? The irony amuses me... although I'm firmly on the side of fiscal responsibility.

Save up for a bit, and you can probably buy it back off him :)

So you're selling your boat to pay off your debts, and selling it to someone who's taking out a loan to buy it? The irony amuses me... although I'm firmly on the side of fiscal responsibility.

Save up for a bit, and you can probably buy it back off him :)

Irony kinda amuses me too...but gotta think about my finances, retirement down the road (5 years)...and boats will always be available, short term pain long term gain. Sometimes credit scares me though. My insurance cheque from the damage to my previous boat (a write off) took a few days to clear at the bank. So I used my credit card to buy the boat (yikes a card with that big a limit, glad I got rid of it and changed to one with a much lower limit), and very quickly paid that off once the cheque cleared. That's why I am now, for the most part a cash only guy, so I don't get sucked into a debt hole. If I don't have the money, I don't buy...it's also why I plan ahead, both in this lifestyle, new vehicle (5 years down the road and pay in cash) etc

RG

Additional Comments:

Damn :-( the guy's financing didn't come through. Marina told me bank refused him, the financing available through the marina wouldn't cover the full amount (and I wasn't dropping my asking price). Guess the guy tried to get two loans from two finance companies, each loan for half the price of the boat, but it didn't work out for him

Still on the lot for sale at the marina. Anyone want to buy a boat

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy

I can't claim to know much about boats or financing, but is this a good time of year to sell a boat? Especially one that someone would have to take out financing to acquire?

It seems to me that if you sell your boat now, you will have enjoyed use of it for most of this year's season, but would also be able to spare yourself making payments on it all throughout the winter. (Which we all have our fingers crossed you can do.)

But on the other side of the coin, if someone buys it now, he won't get much enjoyment out of it this year before he has to pay monthly payments for many months before he has a chance to enjoy it again.

Like skydiving gear, I think boats are probably best sold for full going price early in the season. If you want to save the winter month payments, maybe lowering the price now would sweeten the deal.

Just a suggestion! And again, what do I know ^_^

• Like 1

Damn :-( the guy's financing didn't come through. Marina told me bank refused him, the financing available through the marina wouldn't cover the full amount (and I wasn't dropping my asking price). Guess the guy tried to get two loans from two finance companies, each loan for half the price of the boat, but it didn't work out for him

RG

How much additional to deliver to it to San Felipe de Puerto Plata, República Dominicana? I won't even ask how much as I'm sure your asking price is fair :)

But specks on the 'boat" would be helpful :) At the same time, you might end up in the the same circumstance as me, their and never wanting to come back :)

For an angler fishing isn't just the summer months, it goes through, April to October, if your really hard core November (good muskie and smallmouth bass fishing in those months). For recreational boating I see your point, but a fishing boat is more a tool to use to go fishing if that makes sense

And to wait a year means the boat is a year older and depreciates even more.

But the boat has only been on the lot for sale eight days, and posted on the internet five days...too soon to even think of giving up

Not to mention a brand new version of this boat would likely cost $22,000,

this boat the same boat much less than that, plus lots of extras (gee sound like a salesman now)

RG

For an angler fishing isn't just the summer months, it goes through, April to October, if your really hard core November (good muskie and smallmouth bass fishing in those months). For recreational boating I see your point, but a fishing boat is more a tool to use to go fishing if that makes sense

And to wait a year means the boat is a year older and depreciates even more.

But the boat has only been on the lot for sale eight days, and posted on the internet five days...too soon to even think of giving up

Not to mention a brand new version of this boat would likely cost $22,000,

this boat the same boat much less than that, plus lots of extras (gee sound like a salesman now)

RG

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that you wait until next year to sell it, but only that you might see the offset between sweetening the deal now and saving payments from now to next spring.

Our neighbours just sold their boat (although probably not the same kind) last weekend, so here's wishing you good luck.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that you wait until next year to sell it, but only that you might see the offset between sweetening the deal now and saving payments from now to next spring.

Our neighbours just sold their boat (although probably not the same kind) last weekend, so here's wishing you good luck.

Well my price isn't locked in stone, if someone had an offer that was reasonable I'd certainly consider it. But the guy who made the offer because of no financing wanted a fifty percent cut in price.

And my price is actually what the marina suggested, my original asking price was going to be a bit higher

Keeping my fingers crossed

RG

• Like 1

Well my price isn't locked in stone, if someone had an offer that was reasonable I'd certainly consider it. But the guy who made the offer because of no financing wanted a fifty percent cut in price.

And my price is actually what the marina suggested, my original asking price was going to be a bit higher

Keeping my fingers crossed

RG

I use to sell real estate a lifetime ago. Man, there are people who want to dream outside reality. That guy was totally unqualified to buy your boat. Waste of time.

Very unfortunate that you have to encounter people like this during the process. Words of encouragement - Keep going RG. You never know where you will make a sale. It may take awhile, but timing and persistence takes the prize.

• Like 1

How much additional to deliver to it to San Felipe de Puerto Plata, República Dominicana? I won't even ask how much as I'm sure your asking price is fair :)

But specks on the 'boat" would be helpful :) At the same time, you might end up in the the same circumstance as me, their and never wanting to come back :)

16 1/2 foot long, 82 inch beam aluminum fishing boat

2001 75hp Merc outboard, new powerhead in 2009

80 pound thrust 24 volt minn kota trolling motor

3 fishing seats plus 1 pro pole fishing seat

2 depth finders, 1 at console 1 at bow

48 inch livewell with removable baitwell

cw trailer

But I think the costs to deliver it would cost more than the boat

But it is a great fishing boat

RG

• Like 1

Sorry the deal fell through RG. It hasn't been on the market long, so be patient and I'm sure it will sell.

Guest jake_cdn

RG

This is bad news but I assure that things will work out. Hope there are still enough avenues for you for you to exercise your fishing desires. I am thinking of you and hope that enjoy the fishing this year. There is still plenty of time before the ice comes.

Sometimes I think that, but what my financial guy said makes sense. I'm past the part where it hurts to let the boat go, I've come to acceptance, now if someone would just buy the boat...it's a real good boat btw

RG

Understood. (Although I still think that it is easier to replace a good financial advisor than it is a good fishing boat! ;-) ). Good luck on the sale RG. Hang in there.

• Like 2