Should I give up Cable TV?

I'm looking for ways to reduce my monthly expenses. Ideally, I'd love to get off the electrical grid, but that will take some extra thought.

In the meanwhile, Cable TV is really starting to bug me. $73.00/mo is just too stupid. I don't watch 90% of the crap they offer, so I don't see good value. Should I get a new TV (with USB connections) & start surfing for episodes? What about Satellite TV?.. is that better bang for bucks?

Well I used to have the dish (Bell Expressvu) cost about the same as cable, and channel selection pretty much the same as cable. And I've been told cable, well in my case Cogeco, is the same feed that Starchoice (another dish) has.

Don't know about buying a new tv with usb connections, only because I don't use a computer for watching tv. But I think it's coin toss between cable and the dish cost/services wise. Only thing I will say, don't go with Bell, just had a lot of bad experiences with them (phone, internet and dish) I refuse to use them now for anything

As for living off the electrical grid, you'd likely need a generator, which would cost you more in gas money to run than paying an electrical bill.

Not to mention being even more beholden to the gas companies than we already are

RG

Hi Jabba,

I gave up TV back in 2007 and don't miss it one bit. I often wonder where I found time to watch TV in the first place now. Why look at someone elses fake life on TV when you can go out and have a real one of your own? Life is short live it to the fullest.

Kay

• Like 2

Guest jrose

Are you in a spot where you will be keeping cable internet, and turning your digital cable box (if you have one) to the store? I am, and the cable company did not bother to send a tech out to disconnect the cable (I dont think they can if you have internet)

1 old PC + 1 TV Tuner + 1 Cable to connect to my TV + Windows 7 with Media Center and presto home made DVR.

Hi Jabba,

I gave up TV back in 2007 and don't miss it one bit. I often wonder where I found time to watch TV in the first place now. Why look at someone elses fake life on TV when you can go out and have a real one of your own? Life is short live it to the fullest.

Kay

I haven't subscribed to cable or satellite in about 7-8 years and I also don't miss it. I watch/read the news online and any other show that might interest me. I also rent dvd TV series so I don't have to put up with commercials or wait for the next episodes. Works for me! :)

• Like 1

Got rid of it over a year ago. Would never have it again. Just bought a new HDTV which we use for watching shows downloaded by computer. Thinking about getting Apple TV or some equivalent to stream directly from the computer wirelessly, but to be honest the hdmi cable doesn't bother me.

Really can't justify spending that much money on mindless reality TV. Since I got rid of cable I rediscovered reading. I ever had time to read a book, but over the past year I've read 20+ novels, and watched really "good tv" that was my choice. Even cooler, both my kids have said they don't want cable again.

Porthos

• Like 1

Guest Ou**or**n

If you live in a major urban area also consider that all local channels are broadcast in HD over-the-air. You need a HD TV of course and an antenna. I have an indoor one that works great. I also download my main tv shows like True Blood and Breaking Bad from the Internet. No cable here but no trade-off's either.

Thats the best idea, giving up cable, I grr every month when I pay my bill, but Jabba yours is light compared to mine seldom under 200 monthly, now that includes my internet but still, the only shows I really enjoy are on hbo and they get you because in order to get hbo you need the movies channels $$.I also rent the occasional movie from pay pre view. I say we all revolt and turn off cable:vatefaire:Maybe then the cable companies would have to lower rates. Now what about the power companies!!-not hijacking, just beotching.

So I went with an Internet package that allows 125 GB a month download (yet to come close to that so I might drop it a bit). ... It's still less than my old cable bill, and then I still had to pay for Internet on top.

I remember the buzz when A&E first was launched .... Culture and arts programming. Now it's marathons of Storage Wars. Unreal. Everything you want to watch is available online.

Porthos

So I went with an Internet package that allows 125 GB a month download (yet to come close to that so I might drop it a bit). ... It's still less than my old cable bill, and then I still had to pay for Internet on top.

I remember the buzz when A&E first was launched .... Culture and arts programming. Now it's marathons of Storage Wars. Unreal. Everything you want to watch is available online.

Porthos

I remember those days...I also remember when there was TNN (The Nashville Network...lots of fishing and outdoors shows, it got replaced by Spike) and the History Channel doesn't seem to show much conventional type history programming

Nowadays the channels are marathons of shows having nothing to with the name of the channel they are on imho

RG

• Like 2

I remember those days...I also remember when there was TNN (The Nashville Network...lots of fishing and outdoors shows, it got replaced by Spike) and the History Channel doesn't seem to show much conventional type history programming

Nowadays the channels are marathons of shows having nothing to with the name of the channel they are on imho

RG

Spike TV has that show about absurd ways people get themselves killed! And history tv is full of faux archeology.

I occasionally miss sports, although I've never been one to regularly watch sporting events, so it's not a huge loss.

An amazing moment came on our return trip from NL. After a year with no tv we come to the first hotel on the trip, and neither kid even bothered to turn it on. It was incredible!!

I am With Berlin. I only stream online. When I have the energy, I hook up my huge LCD monitor to my laptop. I use the links she mentioned as well as watchtv.eu and tvblinks. I can exclusively watch a whole series commercial free

personally I need the 300 or 400 odd channels I get to surf through to find out there is nothing on worth watching... by the time I realize there is nothing worth watching, its time for the next set of programs, so the next search beings, ha ha. Actually I watch National geographic channel and others a lot so I often do find things worth watching when I need some distraction.

• Like 2

Off the grid? Yeee haaa! I think I love you!

Yeah, a log cabin way back in the woods beside a lake!

I have some ideas for off-grid electricity generation: if you have a stream nearby with suitable elevation, you can make a mini-hydro station (enclose it and insulate it for winter); scrounge up used vegetable oil and make a bio-fuel generator using an old-tech, low RPM Lister single cylinder diesel motor; use a small gasoline engine and use wood chip gas technology to make a generator. You don't need to continually generate electricity if you have a suitable battery bank.

As for Cable TV.....or any kind of TV? Why?!!!? With all the damn commercials, they should be PAYING US to watch it! Really, what a friggin' scam, programming us into thinking we should PAY TO BE BRAINWASHED!

And most programming is low-cost crap anyway. Reality TV, shit, why watch life being lived? Get the hell out there are live life for yourself!

End of rant, sorry.

Viewing quality movies occasionally is the only sensible use I see for a TV.

Jabba, why can't you be female, 29, and slim and sexy???????????????? :icon_wink:

With the intense concentration of media ownership, it's scary how the mentality of the masses can be manipulated. Case in point: Americans being brainwashed into supporting the Invasion of Iraq after 9/11. It's sad how easily patriotism can be twisted into nationalism and worse. Sheeple. Sheesh.

Okay, rant 2 over....sorry.

I have a TV in my home but have no idea how to turn it on.

I feel it is a huge time waster but then we all waste our time in different ways. I bet we would all be suprised it we actually kept track of the time we spend here on Cerb.

Some people find it very relaxing and I have no heartach with it, just not for me. :biggrin:

Reality TV, shit, why watch life being lived? Get the hell out there are live life for yourself!

End of rant, sorry.

And most "reality" tv is heavily scripted, not particularly real, and plays to voyeuristic tendencies to see people at their worst. Terrible stuff (Big Brother notwithstanding .... Cause I realize it has a big following here on CERB)

Porthos

After you've paid the rent, food and all the other necessities you have what is called disposable income, and everyone spends this pot of money the way they choose. The package I get from cable I consider to be pretty good value. I'm a bit of a news junkie so I spend an hour a day catching up, and hey some time on BNN checking the stock market, and couldn't get by without my daily Corrie fix. With a PVR you can be selective with when you watch and there are are lots of good shows out there.

I think if you decide to cut the cord, you can find lots of additional expense to go purely internet based, more expense in higher speed and bandwidth, the occasional DVD purchase, or the show that's not free and you have to pay to download. I think your choice simply boils down to a lifestyle choice and what are your entertainment needs.

Guest Ou**or**n

A Boxee is significantly more useful if you buy a VPN service such as StrongVPN that give you a US IP address as it significantly increases the content available such as full US Netflix, Hulu and others.

Try a VPN for a month to see if it's worth it but then buy it by the year to make it more affordable.